Lendens of Cardiff

Used Lendens for the first time, having come across them from a forum post, excellent service and very keen prices especially for Hornby spares such as power bogies, great family business full credit to Rob on his communication and stock check before placing an order.

• Agree 1

I use lendons as it is just up the road from me, as he does spares etc, which Lord and butler dont, and i tend to not go to lord and butler any more due to the following reasons

1- I have to drive right across cardiff to go there pain in the backside on a saturday fuel cost etc, only time I need to go across cardiff if im in work at cbyc or with sea cadets

2 - Dont have what I want -they dont do spares, and sometimes their s/h range needs lot to be desired. 

3- I've found in the past that their S/H locos need full strip downs and overhauling,

so I dont use them anymore, but rob at lendons is always very helpful with me, and he also does loco remags as well, plus he does ringfield etc spares so I will give him definate thumbs up :D, and he's local so a bonus, he is starting up a second hand range so will keep a keen eye out on his site.

edit i'm longer welcome at l&b due to my comments, i'm entitled to my own opinion and said it as a customer. 

Edited by vikingsmb
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lendons were very friendly and helpful to me when I ordered some parts recently. They were up front about extra time being needed due to covid precautions and restrictions, and I was perfectly happy with that. All in all, they were very pleasant to deal with, and able to supply exactly what I wanted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another vote for Lendons.

I've never visited the shop, but done mail order off the website. Excellent value compared to some other spares suppliers, delivery may take a few days but never a problem.

Now my first port of call when looking for parts.

John.

P.S. It is LendOns, not LendEns

Edited by John Tomlinson
added P.S.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yet another vote for Lendons! Very helpful. They never used to have real time stock updates and I am pretty sure it has not changed, so it is well worth dropping them an email before ordering. I really like their online search facility - it seems to rumble along at its own pace - either they have huge stocks or it is run by clockwork or some such...

Edited by 90rob
bad spelling
  • Agree 1

@tomparryharry I knew Jim Lendon, but nothing of his background prior to being the proprietor of 'Lendons'. He, and Bud Morgan were good business pals and they would send each other customers for stock that wasn't available in one or the other's shop. My first 'proper' loco was bought from him in about 1960/61 - H/D West Country 2-rail 'Barnstable'. Still have it.

Jim Lendon would do all H/D repairs and remagnetising whilst Bud would do the Tri-ang (as was) repairs - an interchange of repairs were done on a weekly basis.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 3

I remember the shop as James and Lendon (1980s).  Mr James was the sole proprietor at that time,  and I think sold to the current owners family. He carried on working in the shop for a few years, before final retirement . 

I have not visited it for a while,  but glad it is going from strength to strength.   

• Like 1

On 07/09/2020 at 10:47, John Tomlinson said:

Another vote for Lendons.

I've never visited the shop, but done mail order off the website. Excellent value compared to some other spares suppliers, delivery may take a few days but never a problem.

Now my first port of call when looking for parts.

John.

P.S. It is LendOns, not LendEns

They are now I think the only spares suppliers in cardiff, 

• 3 months later...

I got a Hornby GWR 2-8-0 off Ebay the other week which came with a replacement drawbar. Wherever the seller had got the drawbar from, it was manufactured to rubbish tolerances and clearly didn't fit the loco! So I set about ordering a replacement. I found that Lendons had an impressive selection of spares available at competetive prices. Dispatched and delivered incredibly quickly, and the new drawbar fitted like a charm, too. Definitely recommended.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hear hear for Lendon's! I put in my first order for a few items in November, having seen recommendations on RMweb - one (a Hornby Class 47 underframe) was out of stock, Rob said 'patience' (or words to that effect) and sure enough it all turned up a few days before Christmas. While I was waiting I noticed two of the other items went out of stock, but Rob had put them aside so no problem. Very pleased with the service and the (incredible) prices, will definitely use them again.

In fact I've just landed a DC Kits 2H 2-car DEMU kit and a Hornby EMU power unit will be just the job..........oh no, cheesysmith and SRman have nicked, er, sorry, I mean purchased them all! :( Never mind, I'm in no rush, the website says I can pre-order :) !

• Like 1

On 06/01/2021 at 15:15, MattA said:

I got a Hornby GWR 2-8-0 off Ebay the other week which came with a replacement drawbar. Wherever the seller had got the drawbar from, it was manufactured to rubbish tolerances and clearly didn't fit the loco! So I set about ordering a replacement. I found that Lendons had an impressive selection of spares available at competetive prices. Dispatched and delivered incredibly quickly, and the new drawbar fitted like a charm, too. Definitely recommended.

lendons are brilliant for ringfield spares and he also does loco remagnetising as well.