Mile End Park - LNER 1938 Exhibition Layout

Norton Wood

Thought I'd change my tactic's a little, and have a topic based on my Exhibition layout, rather than a blog to follow, anyway here's my most recent progress, hopefully I'll get a few more updates within the next few weeks. 

IMG_1745.JPG.e63a4ce15168c0021fb2f698f06ec915.JPG

Track work

Of course as Peco has been busy and I am sure the Double Slip will come out when it can, so recently a brief focus has turned to ballasting, now this is a job which I must admit I wasn't happy with so the likelihood of it remaining down on the board is low. However for a first go it's not too bad however there are issues with some ballast catching on the flanges of the locomotives & rolling stock.  You will have to trust me when I say that the photo does not do the work I have carried out any justice. Since that photo a lot of work was carried out to clean the track up and ensure smooth running. 

IMG_1315.JPG.4c32aae66e1dc7a80e635f9d37beea79.JPG

Locomotives 

I have recently taken stock of a new LNER D16/3 No.8802, in recent history Hornby's LNER D16 suffered with poor weight distribution which in turn meant the locomotives would wheel slip and have a very low capacity to operate any significant load. Particularly on track which has any incline the locomotive simply will not pull it, so on occasion a run up was required to get it up there!! However a friend of mine bought the LNER Apple Green Claud 8900 'Claud Hamilton' now this seemed to operate in a much better way than either of our original LNER Black Claud's ever did (This was the first batch Claud No.8825) I recently took 8802 to operate on a layout which has gradients and is designed to haul to scale length trains and the locomotive performed beautifully. 8802 will replace my current 8837, as 8837 will be renumbered to carry another number as the original 8837 has the double snifiting valves which this model has. 

IMG_1322.JPG.17794742004bacf7034380bfd61d3020.JPG

This also ties nicely with rolling stock, however since building my LNER J68 in O Gauge and I recomend you have a look through, I recently gained a large amount of confidence to purchase & build brass kits of LNER locomotives for this layout. Hot off the press news @David Eveleigh is looking to produce the LNER(GER) T26 and for those interested the Little Sharpie. This locomotive will become a welcome edition to the MEP Fleet, with the potential of having 2 in the future. 

2121215284_E4No.75041936.jpg.5e5aa62625bbc82dd2b73c1c7364ef45.jpg

LNER E4 7504 seen here in 1936. This will be the locomotive I look to replicate... ( Photographer Unknown) 

Rolling Stock

On a final note, having found David's work on the internet I am very happy to be able to decide to look into ordering 5/6 of these lovely looking coaches from David. To begin with we will focus on the GER 6 Wheeled stock, and put them into the LNER Colour scheme which was effectively painted Teak. Not a nice colour for such lovely coaches but it is a necessary job. I may eventually purchase the same set again and look to do them in the GER Crimson colour scheme. Eventually I plan to have 4 of the 4 Wheeled Stock as one of the 6 Wheeler's will sit among the 4 wheeler stock. A much more cost effective way of modelling then purchasing a higher priced LNER mock up from the Hattons Genesis coaches. I will note that those coaches are great for people looking to get basic coaches for there Pre-grouping locomotives, and both being at a very competitive price David's product at £37 and Hattons at £30. Personally that extra £7 is worth the money as a modeler you can pay for the detail and the accuracy which the Hattons model will not give you if your a serious modeler like myself. 

D514-Brake-Third-1-800-x-400.jpg.178a9fbe8f16f4a9ab6ac922b82dcb65.jpgpost-25673-0-11808100-1525079066_thumb.jpg.3b847c6da18f7642cb2390c6ac9ee2b8.jpg

Photo's above are the property of eveleigh creations 2020) 

On another plus planning has begun for purchase of the Isinglass LNER 52-6 Teak coaches which were a regular site on the LNER(GE) Section, I have begun with purchasing drawings and within a few weeks of this coming out I should have the first of the 4/5 coaches required. The aim will be to use them in a variety of passenger roles mixing them with the Hornby 61ft 6in types as that was regularly seen on the LNER(GE) Section and something I wish to replicate. 

So all in all lots going on and lots being planned it's just a case of getting the beginning items for this layout together!!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Always nice to see a GE based layout, and good to see how you're progressing with this!

Re. the Hornby D16/3, I think whether or not they pull well has something to do with the arm that carries the bogie; it seems to be designed to carry some of the front end weight but if it carries too much it takes traction from the driving wheels - it's worth "fiddling with" it for want of a better explanation!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 31A said:

Always nice to see a GE based layout, and good to see how you're progressing with this!

Re. the Hornby D16/3, I think whether or not they pull well has something to do with the arm that carries the bogie; it seems to be designed to carry some of the front end weight but if it carries too much it takes traction from the driving wheels - it's worth "fiddling with" it for want of a better explanation!

Yes! There's not many GE layouts kicking about, as I live in Norfolk it be rude not to have a go. Yes it's been very strange, my current 8837 is a poor runner but my LNER 8802 is amazing along with my Re-numbered BR (Early Crest) Claud 62614. These two have pulled the Quint set with ease on another layout. I must admit since doing a Quad set for a friend I am becoming far more un-happy with my work on the Teaking effect so I'm likely to purchase another 2 sets and get a proper teak effect to them. 

• RMweb Premium

Well the teak coach behind the N7 looks fine to me!  If I'm honest I think I'd've painted the headstocks and buffers black, but the actual teak looks pretty good.

Re. the D16s, I think off the top of my head it was just a matter of adjusting a fixing screw that made a big difference.  I've got two; 62530 was always a good puller from the start but the second (factory weathered BR livery, can't remember its original number) was very light footed but after a bit of fiddling with the bogie mounting it's now as good as the other one.  Sorry I can't really describe what I did, it was just trial and error really.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah well thank you, 

It has bugged me but nice to hear you say it's fine. I did do a fair amount of research plus looking at the Isinglass drawings, B&W plus a few colour photo's and it's been a hard one to get right around the bufferbeams. But I think it looks good with a Teak colour bufferbeam. 

The weathered Claud was 62581 I believe, funny as I volunteer at a heritage railway, and Alan Baker ( Former Fireman on BR M&GN & GE) said 2581 was his first Claud to work on! Mmmh I'll have to see about that might solve my running problems and enable me to just sort a few things out. 

• Like 1

Currently looking into the liveries carried by Pre-Grouping coaching stock once the LNER was formed. I am looking a various liveries, but so far I only have a number of options presented from restored coaching stock or from recently recovered coaches used as houses. Was it the dirty brown shown by the vehicle from the K&ESR or a representation livery for teak or varnished look? 

It looks to me as if the numbers applied were the same as those applied to Gresley stock, being the Gold & Red  numbering & lettering? 

Opinions and information always welcome. 

90794913_605421960185810_5705011372878725120_o.jpg.43bf6903c7e559c2c3880c080a396c0c.jpg

118653374_2858785150889382_606519834661203060_o.jpg.7b900360592c80f0909be022c485a94e.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The numbers and lettering would be the standard LNER style, the same as Gresley stock, yes.

As to the colour of the coaches, pre-grouping coaches which had always been varnished teak carried on being varnished teak, until or unless the teak got so worn and panels were replaced etc., that it wasn't 'presentable' any longer, at which point they would have been painted plain all over brown (i.e. no attempt to paint false graining).  Quite possibly the 'house conversion' coach in your picture is an ex Great Eastern coach which avoided being painted before it was withdrawn.

Coaches which had been painted a different colour by the Pre Grouping railway company (e.g. Crimson Lake) were painted the all over brown as soon as they needed repainting after Grouping.  The 'brown' colour is some times described as 'teak colour' but I don't think it was the same (bright) colour that was used for the underframes of Gresley coaches.  I think the colour was a bit variable depending on which Works painted it, but the K&ESR coach in your picture is probably pretty close to what it would have looked like.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

The numbers and lettering would be the standard LNER style, the same as Gresley stock, yes.

As to the colour of the coaches, pre-grouping coaches which had always been varnished teak carried on being varnished teak, until or unless the teak got so worn and panels were replaced etc., that it wasn't 'presentable' any longer, at which point they would have been painted plain all over brown (i.e. no attempt to paint false graining).  Quite possibly the 'house conversion' coach in your picture is an ex Great Eastern coach which avoided being painted before it was withdrawn.

Coaches which had been painted a different colour by the Pre Grouping railway company (e.g. Crimson Lake) were painted the all over brown as soon as they needed repainting after Grouping.  The 'brown' colour is some times described as 'teak colour' but I don't think it was the same (bright) colour that was used for the underframes of Gresley coaches.  I think the colour was a bit variable depending on which Works painted it, but the K&ESR coach in your picture is probably pretty close to what it would have looked like.

Thank you, I previously painted my LNER Horsebox using the Golden Teak livery only, (It has been since repainted correctly) and I've found this to be a rather close livery to the one shown by the K&ESR photo. As I'm modelling the layout in 1937, I'm wondering if it's worth doing a mixture in Varnished Teak and some in the Brown colour. But thank you for your comments. 

IMG_0981.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Horseboxes all over in "Teak" paint as below.If a steel underframe vehicle as below photo Black . Normally the same rule on all pre grouping Coaching stock. The Coach in the photo above is far too dark a shade.

post-7186-0-84046600-1304874268_thumb.jpg

Yes this was a mistake I learned rather quickly, so I have painted it as you can see, this is an old photo as the sole-bar is now black. But yes, I'm likely to paint the pre-grouping stock in the same livery as the Horsebox. 

IMG_0984.JPG.14c4550d7af36e3cc475601cba6b73ca.JPG

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, OhOh said:

Wondering earlier today if I might be brave enough to attempt painting my Hornby GWR 4 wheelers into something hopefully looking like LNER teak, I stumbled across this info courtesy of Phoenix Paints.

If you've not already seen it, I hope it might be of interest/help.

Gra

Always helpful thank you, I have painted a full Quint Articulated set and a Pigeon Van now. Made plenty of mistakes along the way, but all the better for having made them. I did find a thread on RM Web which demonstrated the way to paint Teak onto vehicles. Showing the various stages of the painting.  But since doing these I've realized less "Golden Teak" is more. Painting Teak is an art in dry brushing. which has worked when I was doing a friends Quad Art set. 

IMG_0377.JPG.9ca9dcd107715921ea8e3c5bcfe84de4.JPG

My First proper go at Teak painting

IMG_0407.JPG.7c2d8002adad551dcf027833442f1fda.JPG

Second go at Teak painting 

90828789_239525150551009_5177017106012569600_n.jpg.b580a05249e724ddf1ccd38178b58028.jpg

My most recent go at Teak painting

• Like 4

All looking good, especially your most recent one.

I'm a total novice when it comes to carriage painting, so will probably attempt something a little less tricky first. But having very recently adopted the LNER as my railway of choice, I'll no doubt have to try at some point. 

Off to read your blog now.

Gra

• Agree 1

For any modelers, who are not on Facebook, a recent post by Niu Models on the LNER J15 Back-cab & Weather boards which you can fit onto the tender. As it's early day's but it won't be long before they become available. 

Photo's by Niu Models

119591609_819818915424695_7030229550259419717_n.jpg

119676502_819819262091327_1810401714144402887_n.jpg

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

For the layout I purchased a pair of the LNER 52'6 Teak kits from Isinglass, they arrived yesterday and the same day they were together. I have left the roof & sole bar separate for painting, kit has has been fine to put together, had a few issues with the roofs fitting perfectly. But nothing I cannot solve with a bit of glue or swapping to find the perfect fit. 

IMG_2115.JPG.cb2ad2c95c1ab5990cae491325662cb6.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG.f8c266491fb0769dee0e246287749056.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG.6ec0e28fb13ca3d55bffd5ecf8d02f85.JPG

In addition, Bure Valley models have produced in connection with Bachmann a copy of the signal box at Wroxham, just for interest I borrowed one and put it on the layout to compare the different signal boxes. In this case I find myself split between the Wroxham box and the box I has specially built for the layout. Thoughts? 

IMG_2109.JPG.bed4ba08a0bb7327267e41b6fe562129.JPG

• Like 6

With my LNER (GE) 52'6 Coaches at home I couldn't just sit and wait to get them to a stage where they are almost finished ready for painting. So I took the time during my lunch and tea brake (while working from home) to crack on and finish them to a point. 

For the 1st/3rd Composite, I decided to fit the vehicle out with the Angle Iron underframe, followed by the battery boxes. A fairly easy job to do. Plus I have glued the roof in place while still being able to remove the sole-bar underframe. Having previous experience on these kits I have learnt gluing the roof & sides are the better thing to do rather than glue the sole bar to the sides.  This has shown a few imperfections with the printing process however nothing that cannot be solved with tiny amounts of filler ( All to do next time). 

IMG_2130.JPG.69e5f58fb41760586f2d2f2df622f80d.JPG

As for the 3rd Brake, I decided I would go for the Truss Rodding type, at this moment in time I am waiting on the Truss Rodding to appear from dart castings along with the T door handles & grab handles adjacent to the door. Adding to that I have also glued the roof to the sides of the vehicle while being able to remove the sole bar & fitted the torpedo vents onto the roof. 

IMG_2132.JPG.c64f9eafae3832d5f9d7e978769d4ce6.JPG

So all in all not a bad hour & a half's work. 

IMG_2135.JPG.8c12249d898991a306429dff57889bdd.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I meant to say regarding the signal box, it looks nice and although a model of a signal box at a 'country' location, similar ones existed in London, for example it looks not unlike Abbey Mills Junction box:

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=120770

On the other hand if you've made a signal box specially for the layout it seems a shame not to use that, as a 'ready to plonk' building (however good) will never be as 'individual' as one that's been made especially for the purpose.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 31A said:

I meant to say regarding the signal box, it looks nice and although a model of a signal box at a 'country' location, similar ones existed in London, for example it looks not unlike Abbey Mills Junction box:

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=120770

On the other hand if you've made a signal box specially for the layout it seems a shame not to use that, as a 'ready to plonk' building (however good) will never be as 'individual' as one that's been made especially for the purpose.

Thank you, I thought about this and the box which I specifically built will most likely remain on the layout. But I'm certainly keen to have a box which is more accurate for the layout as the box really isn't that big for the type of terminus station I have right now. This is the only argument I have within my head. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little more work carried out on the 52'6 this afternoon, I've got the Composite into final Teak coat after primer & use the Teak Base coat, however I am in need of a Bow Pen to finish the lining off for these vehicles. However I have been working on the 3rd Brake to get it to the same stage as the Composite. 

I am also waiting on the Truss Rod underframe kit to come for the Brake and another 52'6 All 3rd to arrive. In addition I have painted the bogies & corridor connectors for the Composite into black. I've not painted the underframe with good reason as I am also waiting for some Dynamo's and V hangers for the brake Cylinder. 

All in all some good progress I feel. 

IMG_2180.JPG.15591e01c73221cbefcabbb2820e1d48.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG.d3f456f935a5d6169e432e643fd81303.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG.1ea9aef289d3531c5e642350a1e2cd0d.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG.dcfaa04c87ff3f597c3114a078f22466.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG.071bed0e7494ab7bc0494b876039744b.JPG

• Like 5

Another short update today, 

Between dodging the showers here in Norfolk, I have managed to get the All 3rd Brake into Primer & into the final teak coat. I have also glued the corridor onto the the Compo & one end of the Brake while I wait for the replacement & the third Comp to arrive. 

IMG_2217.JPG.2fda4ba8a30c89488d451c0ee8c1f6e1.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG.12e5b1dee1ce5599386bde1236fbd708.JPG

My plan now is to line the coaches, and get the underframes completed,  I am currently thinking of using masking tape over the body work then lining out with a bow pen, hoping the tape will protect the wood effect.

Overall I'm quite happy how these two look in the Teak paint. Cannot wait to do the next vehicle.

IMG_2221.JPG.c4a0affc8019fd476344b09195d1d870.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG.09f07e40c299a02cd36274b508e3d6c0.JPG

• Like 7

I know this is a little off the main topic BUT... Along with my interest on the LNER GE section, is my love for the streamlined services on the LNER.

A new arrival for me personally was LNER A4 2510 Quicksilver, as always and for a bit of fun for myself I tend to put loco's out on trail with the LNER Dynamometer Car (This is the brass Golden Age Models 1938 Record Breaking model) The loco is from the 2015 Silver Jubilee Quartet which I purchased for £115 not bad when they go for £200+ on Ebay these day's. Along with my other East Coast Giants 4489 Dominion of Canada ( From the Great Goodbye Set) and my Modified P2 2003 Lord President (Which is made from the adapted Grahame King Kit)  She's been tested and she's a superb runner, and will eventually head the Silver Jubilee in time. 

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2248 (2).JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 5

And now for something completely different...

Anyway I hope you are all well, I recently managed to get my hands on the LNER B17/5 conversion kit from Golden Arrow Models. In addition I have bought the new(ish) Hornby Railroad B17 Liverpool, it's currently on it's way. However while waiting for the bottom end to arrive I have started clean up & fitting of the handrails...It's fair to say things are going well. The plan is to do this as 2859 East Anglian in Apple Green, with the eventual plan to have the 6 Car set from Isinglass Models to go with the loco. 

IMG_2282.JPG.8f5d6ee9fb15abece8575237db6d8256.JPG

121534793_1278992482445083_65590515092356825_n.jpg.46f807c1dadcfe57a52eabf6109105e6.jpg

IMG_20170420_0115-L.jpg.7b80b6bd474e484005638ffacaa948c2.jpg

• Like 12

New arrival from Isinglass.

Yes, it's another LNER 52'6 Teak, this time it's the Corridor 3rd. Andy from Isinglass has recently told me that that the resin for these coaches has changed. Interestingly the resin quality hasn't changed, however I have found that these kits particularly the body side around the windows are a bit brittle but I recommend when doing these kits to be extremely careful when cutting the extra resin away from the window sides. 

IMG_E2341.JPG

• Like 3

As if by lightning, the kit has been put together, cleaned up and prepared for primer. Only job to do is clean the holes for the grab handles, door handles & drill out the roof vents. Sadly I am still struggling to find the 4mm LNER Clipped buffers, which sadly means I cannot get the underframe into primer until either H&A models or Markit's get the Clipped 4mm buffers. 

If anyone following this know where I can get my hands on some LNER Clipped buffers? That would be fantastic thanks in advance. :) 

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

• Like 5