Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Crystal Ball thread - Predict the future

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, rocor said:

Ah, I see, a somewhat restricted segment of the future, I read the threads title, and thought it was going to be about , flying cars, household robots and holidays on Mars, that sort of thing.

Ahhh... So 

1. Locomotives powered by Remote Control helicopter batteries Using dead rail, as HSE legislates against home non-certified self wiring of 12v DC or AC using raw exposed metal rails with sharp edges and raw exposed amateur electrical wiring.

2. cordless “Iphone style” charging of batteries Of locos on shed over charging pits
3. locomotives using dynamic sound and movement using wifi with cameras on board

4. Use of Augmented reality for back scenes & cameos (winter, night, country, city, 1930’s, s&c etc including moving aspects like walking people on platforms etc)

5. Most models are at home 3D printed and painted for self assembly from a new trade in newly designed kits & parts as rtr out prices itself and cannot adapt to new legislation.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

1. Paget locomotive

2. Galloping Gertie

3. 6399 Fury

4. MR 2500 “USA” 2-6-0

5. LNER EE1

The EE1 is one of the big "what might have been?"s of UK railways. Had the LNER gone ahead with the NER's electrification plans, it would almost certainly have proved successful in the long run - as did similar projects in various parts of Europe. And if York to Newcastle had been electrified, then York to London would have followed. A likely consequence is that we'd never have seen the A4 class.

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

2. Galloping Gertie

You want a model of the original (most celebrated for being aerodynamically destroyed ) Tacoma

Narrows suspension bridge?

1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

The EE1 is one of the big "what might have been?"s of UK railways. Had the LNER gone ahead with the NER's electrification plans, it would almost certainly have proved successful in the long run - as did similar projects in various parts of Europe. And if York to Newcastle had been electrified, then York to London would have followed. A likely consequence is that we'd never have seen the A4 class.

There's upside and downside in all such things. Taken overall, the UK's dithering over railway electrification produced the significant benefit that when it was generally adopted in principle, 25kV AC technology had matured sufficiently to be practical. And during the ditheration some very fine steam loco designs emerged...

On 07/09/2020 at 10:20, The Black Hat said:

Hello all, 

Not sure if this might get taken down over the idea of doing something akin to a predict the future thread (which naturally turn towards wish lists), but I wondered about doing one - just one thread - so that we all put down in one place what we think might be made. Rather than always repeating ourselves every time an announcement is made. The idea is that you name 5 models (in no particular order) that you think will be made and see who gets all their five crossed off first. This is new tooling so not a relivery of an existing model. So, its not a wish list - of things you'd like to see made, but instead a prediction of what you think is most likely to be made and then when announced see who gets all 5 crossed off first.

So my 5 that I guesstimeate will be made are:

1. Class 185 Desiro
2. HOBC - High Output Ballast Cleaner rake/set
3. NER-BR Class J21
4. YEA Perch/Porpoise Continuously Welded Rail Trains 

5. Class 319 / 769 set

Dont know why I didnt mention the HAA hopper given I did in the Hattons 66 thread...  too obvious maybe... 

I think there's going to be a general trend towards more offbeat concepts from manufacturers. Maybe not quite at the level of Hornby's new Steampunk range (I will be interested to see how that sells, though), but we might see more models that are chosen because they're interesting or novel rather than because they fulfil a need. Look at the success of Hornby's 100th anniversary models, for instance, particularly the Rocket.

I think we're also going to see a lot more pre-Grouping models, and perhaps a rise in pre-Grouping layouts. Plenty of manufacturers have dipped their toes into pre-Grouping subjects, and I feel like Hattons' Genesis coaches may give people the impetus to build on that.

Model-wise:

1) Hornby R&H 88DS (as a logical progression from the well-recieved 48)

2) Dapol VEA van in 0 gauge

3) Hornby D0226 "Vulcan" (I know it's a one-off prototype loco, but it got name-dropped on The Engine Shed blog)

4) Ffestiniog "Linda"/"Blanche"/"Charles" in 009, possibly Bachmann as a progression from the smaller Quarry Hunslets

5) USA S160- Bachmann or Heljan maybe.

As regards life, I suspect 2020 will at this rate end with either a supervolcano, the rapture, or an invasion of the Daleks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 17/09/2020 at 08:14, adb968008 said:

Ahhh... So 

1. Locomotives powered by Remote Control helicopter batteries Using dead rail, as HSE legislates against home non-certified self wiring of 12v DC or AC using raw exposed metal rails with sharp edges and raw exposed amateur electrical wiring.

hells Teeth! Don't give them ides!

• Agree 1

• Administrators
On 23/09/2020 at 11:46, HonestTom said:

I think there's going to be a general trend towards more offbeat concepts from manufacturers. Maybe not quite at the level of Hornby's new Steampunk range (I will be interested to see how that sells, though), but we might see more models that are chosen because they're interesting or novel rather than because they fulfil a need. Look at the success of Hornby's 100th anniversary models, for instance, particularly the Rocket.

That's not new. Heljan built a business on oddball diesels that were useless to the real railway, but appealed to modellers. KR Models are following in the same vein.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Delving into my crystal spheres, I can foresee a Midland Spinner (673) in RTR.  As the pool of scan-able examples grows ever smaller, then other possibilities move to the fore.  I'm not a wishlister per se. However, it'll be a brave man who announces a model based upon a series of drawings & photos. 

That said, Heljan did release the 47xx..... 

Finally, Mr. Hackworths excellent Sans Pareil  locomotive, as a worthy companion to Rocket. 

Have a great weekend,

ian. 

As the theme of this thread has tended to come up with the most unlikely rolling stock that a RTR model manufacturer is likely to come with, my two penny worth would be...

Broad gauge Great Western in S scale (that would be a 33.44mm gauge). :D

On 07/09/2020 at 12:23, tomparryharry said:

I can make no predictions.

Well, except one.

I predict that at 1:45am, on the 2nd January 2021, there will be 100% chance of Darkness.

In which case, you must be predicting complete cloud cover; as on that night there will be an almost full moon (around 90%), and it will be quite high in the SE. 

[clever-dick mode now OFF]

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rocor said:

As the theme of this thread has tended to come up with the most unlikely rolling stock that a RTR model manufacturer is likely to come with, my two penny worth would be...

Broad gauge Great Western in S scale (that would be a 33.44mm gauge). :D

Switching off any wishlisting wand, that is something I'd seriously consider.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

In which case, you must be predicting complete cloud cover; as on that night there will be an almost full moon (around 90%), and it will be quite high in the SE. 

[clever-dick mode now OFF]

You can keep your clever-dick mode switched on.  You could be right...

Yours, etc, etc,

Claire Voyant.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2020 at 12:23, tomparryharry said:

I can make no predictions.

Well, except one.

I predict that at 1:45am, on the 2nd January 2021, there will be 100% chance of Darkness.

I took this picture of a rainbow at precisely 0045 on June 15th 2016...

189B729F-0A64-4EEA-AEC9-665F567F7885.jpeg.8a191cb491ef5ec395ce6008106e1408.jpeg

anything is possible.

The only time Ive seen a rainbow in the early hours of the day.

i’m sure there will be sunlight in the Antartic at 0145 on Jan 2nd 2021.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

GBRF biomass wagons are following on from the Coal ones announced by accurascale. An outsider I have had down before has been the Consett Ore wagon or Caroline Saloon and now they are announced too. 

Missed the obvious ones that I have mentioned for some time... maybe my suggestions are still some way off but coming! 

• 1 month later...

More things announced. 

Hardwick for the NRM. Interesting... but will focus minds on what can be done for the niche market and whats in the NRM in M... 

That 15xx was a dead cert to be done, but why do I think of duplication reading that. Was Model Rail mag not thinking of doing it? Or Bachmann on the back of the 94xx... 

The Hunslet should be interesting. Can see that being popular and yet there still will be more to come. The wish list poll data from last time is till pointing a lot in the direction of things to come in terms of steam and transition, but the diesel and modern (privatisation) periods have seen retools now become the norm. 

Will be interesting to discuss or have more top 5 predications on what is to come. 

Ok after considerable thought I have come to this conclusion. It will become law and mandatory in the future that every household in this country will have to have a GWR(Swap out which ever big 4 company you want) branchline layout to remind them of the once rural idyll that was this country and how we have managed to make a right mess of things. And to remind us not to do it again.

• RMweb Gold

Needs to remind us as well that the 'rural idyll' was in fact extreme poverty, tied cottages, malnutrition with prison for those who caught their own food, deprivation, infant mortality, tubercerlosis, and unremitting heavy labour for most people.  And it still is for many of them.  Only rich people can afford to live like they think poor people do, in pretty cottages with roses round the doors, converted to all mod cons and full wi-fi.

I want to make a prediction about the Bachmann 94xx but I promised Andy Y I wouldn't, so I won't predict that it will be further delayed.  There, see, I didn't predict  that it would be further delayed...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/09/2020 at 13:42, Steamport Southport said:

I normally find that things are announced either when I buy/start a kit or a model kit is released.

GWR 15XX 0-6-0PT - Nucast Partners have reissued it and Warren Shepard have announced an etched kit

LBSC K Class 2-6-0 - Bought one a little while ago. Always seemed to do well in the wishlist

SECR R1 0-6-0T

LBSC E2 0-6-0T 

Something a bit left field - LNER Coronation set

Jason

One down, four to go....

:sungum:

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Needs to remind us as well that the 'rural idyll' was in fact extreme poverty, tied cottages, malnutrition with prison for those who caught their own food, deprivation, infant mortality, tubercerlosis, and unremitting heavy labour for most people.

To be fair, all that could (and again to a lesser extent still can, with the exception of tuberculosis) be found in the city.

• Agree 1