Liliput SBB FLIRT unit problem

cornish trains jez

Hi everyone,

I seem to be having some issues with my Lilipit FLIRT unit. The unit has one motor at each end in the driving cars, however it seems that on mine, only one of the motors now seems to be working. Is it a connection/pick up problem? Is the motor broken? The lights work each end and the interior lights too.

Anyone experienced any similar problems with theirs? I don't want to start taking it apart but if there is a remedy, I'll give it a go.

Any help most welcome and many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

I have much the same experience. It started with the unit seeming not to respond to power although the lighting would work and change direction. Sometimes after being put away and brought out again it would work for a while, but it would soon lock up, always after being brought to a stop in the normal way. A change of decoder didn’t help so I put it away and got on with layout building, however, I plan to get back to it soonish and have been doing some research.

First I found a thread in German  (I used Google translate to understand it) which among other things suggests that the motor might be mounted too tight against the gearbox, and that inserting a paper gasket might help. 

https://www.1zu160.net/scripte/forum/forum_show.php?id=917890

Then I found that SB Modelbau offer a coreless motor/flywheel/worm upgrade for this model.  I’ve installed their upgrade in a couple of Minitrix Re4/4 chassis with good results, but It’s not cheap. 

https://www.sb-modellbau.com/details/N-Ersatz-Motor-Liliput-FLIRT-BR-429-SBB-CFF-RABe-526-2-motorig-7501

I really like this model and I’d like to get it working properly. I think I might try the paper gasket first when I get round to it, I’d want to know the coreless motor upgrade actually solves it before shelling out that much. 

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2020 at 07:56, Frutigen said:

I have much the same experience. It started with the unit seeming not to respond to power although the lighting would work and change direction. Sometimes after being put away and brought out again it would work for a while, but it would soon lock up, always after being brought to a stop in the normal way. A change of decoder didn’t help so I put it away and got on with layout building, however, I plan to get back to it soonish and have been doing some research.

First I found a thread in German  (I used Google translate to understand it) which among other things suggests that the motor might be mounted too tight against the gearbox, and that inserting a paper gasket might help. 

https://www.1zu160.net/scripte/forum/forum_show.php?id=917890

Then I found that SB Modelbau offer a coreless motor/flywheel/worm upgrade for this model.  I’ve installed their upgrade in a couple of Minitrix Re4/4 chassis with good results, but It’s not cheap. 

https://www.sb-modellbau.com/details/N-Ersatz-Motor-Liliput-FLIRT-BR-429-SBB-CFF-RABe-526-2-motorig-7501

I really like this model and I’d like to get it working properly. I think I might try the paper gasket first when I get round to it, I’d want to know the coreless motor upgrade actually solves it before shelling out that much. 

Keith

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the info and apologies for my rather late reply. The SB Modelbau stuff looks like a good solution but like you say, its very pricey. I'm contemplating contacting Bachmann and seeing if I can get a repair or replacement for a reasonable price.

Will keep you updated if I do.

Best regards,

Jeremy