New Layout Project - Need Help!

Tynecastle TMD

Evening All

I have attached three photos of my very small and compact layout entitled 'Pitlochry TMD'.

This is based in Central Scotland and so far I have 3 x 37/4s, a backscene and entrance portal...the rest of the track has been ripped up.

At its widest the front of the layout is 1r inches, at its narrowest its 7 inches and it measures 6ft end to end.

Now my issue is my constant self doubt over how it should look. I went out and purchased a fair bit of Peco track Inc points etc...BUT I'm not sure whether to incorporate a station for DMUs or just have it as a fuelling point and depot. Any hypothetical or ideas on track layout greatly appreciated...I'm a newbie and struggling...so putting my hands out and asking for help from the collective.

I would really appreciate some ideas and constructive criticism over what I have said. I'm limited to space so this is all I have to play with.

P.S excuse the mess in the conservatory, this has now become my man cave and is full of bits from a recent loft clearance and of course all my railway bits.

P.P.S we are full DCC, so any printers on how many power points around the layout I would need, would help. Currently have two!

20200907_173945.jpg

20200907_173956.jpg

20200907_174030.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A passenger station for DMUs? You don't have a lot of length to play with, but it might make good use of the left hand side at the back, coming off the first set of points. This would mean that operationally it was separate from the TMD. I imagine it being a single road with a platform, and the second set of points that is currently there you would move elsewhere.

The right hand side can only be reached by reversing, so I imagine this is where the fuelling point would be, and whatever other servicing is carried out, perhaps in a single road shed, like at Severn Tunnel Junction (sorry, I don't know much about Scottish depots), leaving the left hand side for a couple of stabling sidings and a headshunt, all entered via the double slip.

You would get more room by making the front road at the left a single-locomotive length headshunt, but it isn't nearly as attractive in my opinion. The double slip in the centre of the layout is very much a feature, and keeping the space in front of it clear of track shows it off well, I think.

If you modelled the left hand part of the layout as the largely  demolished mostly abandoned end of a former station with just one shortened platform remaining in use for DMUs and some derelict weed strewn platforms where stock stabled it could work quite nicely.

Loads of facilities were around but derelict in the large logo Mid 1980s era.

• Like 1

You could have a dummy low relief shed at the LH end of the layout like Inverness TMD / Lochgorm works and the approach tracks full of locos like Inverness in the evenings in the mid 80's, 85/88 between the end of Aberdeen line DMUs and the start of sprinters  with half a dozen 47s and a few 37s about, large logo. small logo, I/C red stripe, Grey, Dutch, the lone scotrail 47/4 (Charles Rennie Mackintosh,) on shed and hardly any two alike.

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

If you modelled the left hand part of the layout as the largely  demolished mostly abandoned end of a former station with just one shortened platform remaining in use for DMUs and some derelict weed strewn platforms where stock stabled it could work quite nicely.

I like this a lot.  By the mid 80s there could be shiny new facilities, or just the hoardings and temporary entrances that seemed to last for years in some places as they waited for rebuilding.

On 08/09/2020 at 00:49, DavidCBroad said:

@DavidCBroad

Thank you all for your input, could you maybe sketch exactly what you mean David, im new to all of this, so I'm in a little bit of a quandary of what to do, so far your idea and the idea of a dummy low relief depot with lines of locos. So far all I have is 3 x 37/4's, but have some 20's, 27s, 26s and 47s winging their way to me.

20200908_154327.jpg

Ok so having a play with some old track and this is my first idea...too cluttered?

Imagine the yellow tape measure is the pull tank and the short line leading up to it will be long enough for a 08 and a tanker.

The tracks on the left will end (apart from the headshunt and the top track) where the brown paint ends and the light area will be the offices, car park and portacabin. 

Or do I scrap the extra long bottom line on the right and run the lines on the left right up to the end and dona low relief dummy depot and attempt to cur some old stock up and poke it out the depot?

Answers on a postcard!!

20200909_201817.jpg

20200909_201842.jpg

On 07/09/2020 at 18:51, Pitlochry TMD said:

Evening All

I have attached three photos of my very small and compact layout entitled 'Pitlochry TMD'.

This is based in Central Scotland and so far I have 3 x 37/4s, a backscene and entrance portal...the rest of the track has been ripped up.

At its widest the front of the layout is 1r inches, at its narrowest its 7 inches and it measures 6ft end to end.

Now my issue is my constant self doubt over how it should look. I went out and purchased a fair bit of Peco track Inc points etc...BUT I'm not sure whether to incorporate a station for DMUs or just have it as a fuelling point and depot. Any hypothetical or ideas on track layout greatly appreciated...I'm a newbie and struggling...so putting my hands out and asking for help from the collective.

I would really appreciate some ideas and constructive criticism over what I have said. I'm limited to space so this is all I have to play with.

P.S excuse the mess in the conservatory, this has now become my man cave and is full of bits from a recent loft clearance and of course all my railway bits.

P.P.S we are full DCC, so any printers on how many power points around the layout I would need, would help. Currently have two!

20200907_173945.jpg

20200907_173956.jpg

20200907_174030.jpg

On 14/09/2020 at 19:38, Stevebr said:

Is it critical to be Pitlochry. It’s a bit isolated for an MPD?  How about a sub she’d of Motherwell maybe a bit like Carstairs in the 1970’s?

Great minds...

The Project has been renamed Tynecastle TMD, which is a sub shed of Eastfield and Haymarket, providing capacity for Scotland and the North of England, located West of Edinburgh