York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

That's truly remarkable. I lived just across the River Ouse and the Station and surrounding buildings were a happy hunting ground for me. I have been building my model for 20 years. Currently i.am on with the 1951 colour light signalling.

Edited by Colombo1
Photo did not load

It was a great relief to my customer when he found that he could use colour light signals!  

With all you people on here that know York so well I'm going to have to keep on top of things! I'm working on the piers for the river bridge at the moment. 

Peter

I've put together the piers for the river bridge. 

BR1.jpg.3eeb71cca5a4acb5e91eadca59cb9fbb.jpg

This is the centre pier with the wooden protection around it. 

BR2.jpg.9165a1bd6b43859561cb812bdefa5c15.jpg

BR3.jpg.5f092b1223762eb59cb11f358754d5ad.jpg

None if them are fixed at this point, I need to model the river banks and bed first. Having built it I realise that the centre pier is too straight so I'll me remaking it tomorrow.

BR4.jpg.aa9794810186fddb9d15b13a3595018c.jpg

They look a bit odd without the river banks on either side. 

BR5.jpg.aa584a1f5291c41a4d001affe0b43b82.jpg

BR6.jpg.667a44d27b6f451f8f42f1ed1eda7111.jpg

The missing rectangle bottom left will be filled in before I do the river itself. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

There is an original feature of York Station (one of many) that appeals to me and I wondered for a long time how I would be able to replicate it. It is the North Eastern Railway foliated monogram signal brackets which have to be retained as part of the original Grade 2 listed building. They have been retained and now carry TV screens. The photo shows the intricate detail.

My son has successfully 3D printed some from the photograph

platform-9-at-york-station-about-1956.jpg

FB_IMG_1601933445542.jpg

• Like 2

The aluminium sheet and the backscenes have arrived, adding a splash of colour! 

riv1.jpg.a6e45e19f5e391bd266b173dcd98026f.jpg

I gave the river bed two thick coats of matt brown emulsion, and then have sprayed on top of that in shades of brown and green. The polyurethane varnish I use for water will have a brown tint which will blend it all together and reduce the brightness. 

riv2.jpg.57242b1430a0fc1522134db83ae5382e.jpg

The 09mm aluminium sheet is cut to size and the back covered with Unibond gel glue ready to be stuck to the MDF.  The sheet can be cut easily with a Stanley knife. 

riv3.jpg.90836d8dbb058917bd408bbe26eadb57.jpg

riv4.jpg.f95f2c8dea40674ba96484a092377dc5.jpg

The self adhesive backscene sticks beautifully to the smooth aluminium. Hopefully the bubble will disappear, but otherwise I'll prick it and smooth it off. 

riv5.jpg.4f97df21dd2f1f8e81bb6e17f81e60b2.jpg

Peter

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Those ID Backscenes look good. I used Hills & Dales on my last layout. I was going to ask which scene you used but I see from the ID website that there is a new one (to me) Just Trees which will be ideal for my current build, thanks for sharing.

Do you know how the turnout on the bridge will be operated as there seems little depth to hide a motor/servo. DCC Concepts working point rodding?

Edited by Rowsley17D

In the 1950s there were few if any trees on the East bank of the Ouse

I remember school playing fields in the distance. Presumably Mill Mount and St. Peter's. 

The river was pretty lifeless due to pollution with Industrial waste and sewage, although not as bad as the Fosse. No grass grew near the edges  bearing in mind the normal rise and fall.

Louis Heath

HMRS 6329

I appreciate that things will have changed over the last sixty years Louis, but I needed to get on with the model and thought that just a sky background would look very plain.  I am also going to need trees to disguise the hole in the backscene where the tracks pass through and the ends of the houses.

Given that my river is going to curve sharply in the wrong direction, I can live with the trees!

Peter

• Agree 1

I wonder if the river was so full of soil runoff in the period you are modelling? Nowadays the river takes a lot of field water because the fields were drained under MAFF grants, but there would have been less of that in the uplands in the 1950s. It is certainly very 'brown' these days. On the otherhand there may have been industry up river that coloured the water. If we were open I'd ask my local club members whom have lived here since the 1950s. 

Paul

• RMweb Gold

A lot of the feed water to the Ouse is peat runoff so naturally brown. It also carries a fair bit of silt, IIRC from when I lived in the area the mud banks further upstream towards Linton Lock are called clay huts and in the past were dredged from time to time by the Reklaw barge.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

I wonder if the river was so full of soil runoff in the period you are modelling? Nowadays the river takes a lot of field water because the fields were drained under MAFF grants, but there would have been less of that in the uplands in the 1950s. It is certainly very 'brown' these days. On the otherhand there may have been industry up river that coloured the water. If we were open I'd ask my local club members whom have lived here since the 1950s. 

Paul

I wonder if there was "seasonal" run-off from the sugar beet factory when that was in full flow. The Ing Cliffe Drain looks, that ran through the factory site before the factory was built, might have served as drain for the factory with outflow access to the river via a culvert under the railway?

Well, the river is staying the colour it is now because I've put on the first of many coats of varnish. All the various components are stuck in place and the detailing has begun, although I've run out of foliage. I've had to photograph the board indoors as it's raining again, hence the odd reflections. 

OUSE1.jpg.4a131e59a8db8ac045ef7592b74bb2fd.jpg

The bridge girders are on order from York Modelmaking (very appropriate!), and until they arrive I won't do any more to the bridge. 

OUSE2.jpg.6ef759afbc5032789462c7aa9304da07.jpg

The gardens have been detailed with items from Model Scenery Supplies,  with figures hopefully arriving tomorrow.

OUSE3.jpg.59b0bb29fd6a6a80f2bdeeea9156a738.jpg

This corner is severely reduced in size, but the basics are correct. 

OUSE4.jpg.d0c68dd5b84af78159d89cb2bc2040a9.jpg

OUSE5.jpg.bf2cfb94d59d11a5982bf22ffd999797.jpg

OUSE6.jpg.dd1a1384822c5da519f7ae2c9fde605a.jpg

Peter

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, john new said:

IIRC from when I lived in the area the mud banks further upstream towards Linton Lock are called clay huts and in the past were dredged from time to time by the Reklaw barge.

Reklaw wasn't dredging the clay huts, but was dredging up sand and gravel, which Walkers (see what they did there ?) then sold.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Reklaw wasn't dredging the clay huts, but was dredging up sand and gravel, which Walkers (see what they did there ?) then sold.

Adrian

Thanks for the correction regarding my memory of what Walker's were dredging, and yes I did know why it was the Reklaw. Confirms though that the Ouse above York was/is a silt laden river.

Edited by john new