York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

Peter Kirmond and I have been trying to get out heads around the sequence of events with the signal box and footbridge and finally we seem to have it pinned down, so if anyone is interested here is the sequence; 

SIGNAL BOX. This was called the 'Platform' box, not the station box, and operated until 20th May 1951. It was damaged in the 1942 bombing raid and was out of action for some time. The bookstall backed onto it but was not part of the structure. The box became a staff office in 1951. The roof originally had a skylight but this was replaced with two metal ventilators, presumably as a result of the bomb damage.

FOOTBRIDGE. This was first built in 1900, replacing the subways built when the station opened...these were retained for use by trolleys and would again be used by passengers when work was being done on the footbridge. The bridge was a metal structure and was partly supported by suspension cables attached to the roof girders.

The bridge was moved in 1930; having originally run alongside the signal box it now stood in front of it with steps running on both directions. Why it was moved does not seem to have been recorded. The bridge only ran as far as Platforms 10 and 12 as it had since 1900.  There was no access to the signal box from the bridge.

In 1938 the bridge was extended to run through the brick wall to serve new platforms built outside the train shed. The bridge was damaged in the 1942 raid but was repaired. 

In 1952 and entirely new footbridge was built in the same position, the subways being reopened for passengers while the work was done. This is the bridge I have modelled and which remains in use today. The old signal box, now staff offices, was given a door leading onto the footbridge. 

When the railways were electrified the footbridge was again upgraded but remains essentially the 1952 structure. 

I am sure that none of this will be of interest to many people, but if like Peter you are modelling the mid 1930's it is quite important to get the sequence correct. At least now the information is in the public domain and available to all. 

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 15/12/2020 at 10:36, kirtleypete said:

I know the feeling!

Apart from the missing tank panels the water tower is about finished. 

tank1.jpg.6a5420e40953f346d98d3229f80bcbec.jpg

My customer and I had a discussion about the water; he asked me to give it a green tinge, which I did by painting a thin wash onto the back of the sheet of clear plastic. I wanted to make sure that the detail inside the tank could still be seen:

tank2.jpg.30f3aa19b3b77b8f3c8e311ef8449e60.jpg

It's difficult to photograph, but looking at it you can see the strengthening ribs. 

I have to admit that I think the water would be clear, it empties and fills so often there wouldn't be time for it to grow algae or whatever. At the end of the day, though, it's not my model. 

851843489_tank3.jpg.8c0ee6a4245be2ec843c9eb62813a0c2.jpg

1488270112_tank4.jpg.a5041aa6404e3be23f8d3402bbdad1e8.jpg

Peter

Was there a water softening plant at York?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/12/2020 at 10:24, kirtleypete said:

While we wait for the parts for the overall roof to arrive I'm going to build the group of buildings around the water tank. Despite the proximity to the platform ends pictures have been hard to find:

1871779948_WATERTOWERRMWEB.jpg.d9989a8813b8f15d3bf701ad20f8794c.jpg

Peter,

Images of Leaman Road and Waterworks Signal boxes seem a bit rare to come across. Waterworks would have been hidden behind the white building on the right of the bottom picture, but is visible in the top.  Presumably the visible box in the middle of the bottom picture is Leaman Road box?

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Peter,

Images of Leaman Road and Waterworks Signal boxes seem a bit rare to come across. Waterworks would have been hidden behind the white building on the right of the bottom picture, but is visible in the top.  Presumably the visible box in the middle of the bottom picture is Leaman Road box?

Rich

H Rich,

I'm certain that the 'box pictured in the lower photo is the original Waterworks signal box, and not Leeman Road 'box.  In the upper photo is the second Waterworks signal box. The train in the upper photo travelling towards Scarborough is going over Waterworks crossing. There is an interesting photo in the NERA publication Signalling Centres in the North East: No.1 York which shows both signal boxes either side of the Scarborough lines with a derailed loco on its side between both 'boxes. Quite remarkable that neither signal box suffered any damage as a result of the derailment.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, iands said:

H Rich,

I'm certain that the 'box pictured in the lower photo is the original Waterworks signal box, and not Leeman Road 'box.  In the upper photo is the second Waterworks signal box. The train in the upper photo travelling towards Scarborough is going over Waterworks crossing. There is an interesting photo in the NERA publication Signalling Centres in the North East: No.1 York which shows both signal boxes either side of the Scarborough lines with a derailed loco on its side between both 'boxes. Quite remarkable that neither signal box suffered any damage as a result of the derailment.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that, I had never realised there was an earlier Waterworks box, but looking again at the picture that makes sense, as it looks in the wrong place for Leaman Road SB, I am guessing the picture is pre-WW1.  I ordered a copy of that NERA publication (along with the NERA signalling book) yesterday so am looking forward to reading that. Sorry for the thread wandering Peter.

Rich

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that, I had never realised there was an earlier Waterworks box, but looking again at the picture that makes sense, as it looks in the wrong place for Leaman Road SB, I am guessing the picture is pre-WW1.  I ordered a copy of that NERA publication (along with the NERA signalling book) yesterday so am looking forward to reading that. Sorry for the thread wandering Peter.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have both these publications, both are a very interesting read and a valuable record and reference source and I'm sure you will enjoy them. Once again, apologies to Peter for "thread wander".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Taken from a book published by Oldham’s in 1947, this shows the area just a bit further north, but I have a feeling the Scarborough Crossing got similar treatment, concrete kerbs, grass, and shrubs.

3573172E-F1E9-4C2B-8459-DAF546A6337B.jpeg.78799c288fc7b080039ddc12157bedc9.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at some of the bomb damage photos the other day. Do you know when the roof was rebuilt and other repairs made? Certainly made a mess of the middle area of the station building side roof spans - and of course the never rebuilt Gents toilet (we have a perfectly adequate portacabin type arrangement and one of the few free loos in York! TMI).

Paul

• RMweb Premium

This is great to see.  I mentioned earlier in the thread that my dad started his working life in 1944 as an LNER apprentice french-polisher in the hotels' department in York, and that he was very impressed by your model of the Royal Station Hotel.  Later on he worked in the loco shedmaster's office at York North shed, and he and my future mum "met halfway" to do their lunchtime courting on (old) Platform 4  on the station, as she worked in the railway catering office overlooking Tearoom Square - so under the left-hand arch on your top two photos.

We lost mum back in 2017 and, sadly, Covid got my old dad last month despite him putting up a good fight over four weeks.  So, I won't ever again be able to show him pictures of your superb modelling.  But the way you and your client have captured the look and feel of the station brought back so many memories for him when I visited him with my iPad. Thanks.

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Sense
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Many thanks for the responses everyone, it all helps bring the model to life.  My customer has passed on this in answer to the questions:

Designing the boards has been a labour of love in itself.   The board with the hotel and portico is designed to sit on legs with rollers so that it can be easily slid out into the space behind, giving easy access to the roof which will be in removeable sections.   The boards for the main section are 4-5’ long and about 3’ wide, and shaped so that one can be slid out without the others being moved, as and when major repairs are needed.   The boards with platforms 14 and 15, and the representation of Branches yard, then sit alongside.

There is one point where 3 boards come together, with one of the Scarborough crossings right over the join!   I just couldn’t work out how to avoid this.    The old ‘the section of map you need is at the intersection of 4 map joins’ problem.    See Peter’s post of 21st February, the bottom photo.    The crossing and points into platforms 14/15 or branches are on a separate removeable section of board, and you can just see the screws keeping it aligned.  Works a treat.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...