York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, kirtleypete said:

Thanks very much everyone; it is a real joint effort, I'm just the one posting the pictures. It's just nice to be getting on with it again after lockdown. Jonathan, there will be the occasional LMS loco, they did have a shed in York. 

We're hoping on Friday to have all four roof sections in place; not finished, but enough to make sure they fit. Watch this space!

Peter

I have a book with a nice photo of a red Jubilee leaving York for the Midlands just after the war.

No mere pressing of a 'Like' (or any other) button can possibly do that justice.

Picture 3 is like being there. I do frequent the station often (or did until 12 months ago) and, although the centre roads aren't there these days, it still feels like that as the overall roof is pretty much the same. Simply amazing.

Would it be possible to see sight of the 'grand plan' in terms of what is planned for the rest of the layout, how it all links up, etc. Is the loco depot to be included (etc)

We are going to build as much of the loco yards as we have room for, a project for later in the year. The plan is to have the station finished by the end of May all being well. Work is still ongoing on the loco yard baseboards though so there isn't much to photograph other than a hole! 

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a few days in York. Testament to the quality of this model is the fact that my wife, who has zero railway enthusiasm but is resigned to being taken to or shown things of a railway 'interest' has called this model in progress 'incredible' :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Very much agree with all that has been said regarding the quality and scale of work on display here.  The other thing that impresses me is the rate of progress... definitely makes this one of the most interesting threads to follow at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Echoing other contributions, I’ve recently discovered this thread and I am hugely impressed and inspired by both your work, Pete, and the layout as a whole.   In my case, building a smaller section of a significant mainline I also have some decent sized buildings to make so I hope to learn from your expertise.  

One question at this point is where is a good source for large sheets of plasticard?

thanks for sharing,

Iain

I buy mine from Stephen Webster Plastics Iain....they call it HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene Sheet)  and it comes in various sizes, colours and thicknesses. I use the white in matt finish on both sides for ease of marking out. They deliver to your door, it's very convenient. I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer. The only thing they don't sell is the clear Polystyrene, so I get that from B&Q.

Peter

• Thanks 1