York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

• RMweb Premium

The roof sections look mightily impressive. Can I ask if the glazed sections will cover the entire roof or just a portion of the ends?  I can see why you might want to have a less obscured view for the majority of the covered area but it would equally be a shame not to have the glazing continue for the full length.

There will only be glazing at the ends to allow the interior to be seen; with full glazing it would be pretty much hidden and an awful lot of work is going into it!  The idea is that looking from the ends it will appear as though there is full glazing, especially from track level. 

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow! That picture is new to me - brilliant! I need to add half round strip along the centre line, which fortunately will be easy to do. May as well get it right! I'd better add that crack in the pane of glass too...........

I love the idea of safely at work - flat caps all round unless you're the foreman!

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

Wow! That picture is new to me - brilliant! I need to add half round strip along the centre line, which fortunately will be easy to do. May as well get it right! I'd better add that crack in the pane of glass too...........

I love the idea of safely at work - flat caps all round unless you're the foreman!

Peter

And don't forget the stove pipe just to his right, or is a stench pipe?

1 hour ago, kirtleypete said:

But the question would be whether the landing after a fall of 100+ feet will kill them before they bleed to death from the cuts the plate glass causes when they break it to start their fall.......

1 hour ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

But the question would be whether the landing after a fall of 100+ feet will kill them before they bleed to death from the cuts the plate glass causes when they break it to start their fall.......

The fall, not enough time to bleed out in only a 100 ft fall, 2.5 seconds for the fall, about 5 mins to bleed out from an artery 

15 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

And don't forget the stove pipe just to his right, or is a stench pipe?

I think this is the roof barrel over the main concourse and the internal station buildings, so is likley to be from one for the buildings, possibly from the orginal signal box at the end of the footbridge.

Edited by Jaggzuk

Not sure how many of the cantilever signal gantries you intend to add, but adjacent to the main gantries at the northern end there were two large water pipes suspended from the roof over the tracks to supply water for steam locomotive tenders.  There were located next to the current Gents toilets on Plat 3/4 and at the north end of Plat 5.  These actual lasted in place till the late 60s, early 70s

The signals will be colour lights, and there are an awful lot of them!  Not my department I'm pleased to say. You're right about the pipes though, it's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Has anyone got a picture of them?

Peter