York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

A few pics I found on the web a while ago, so cannot remeber the sources.

image.png.fe3634eb8fa93e5f40ad598b98d5e93a.png

This one from "North Yorkshire Moors Railway Preservation Society York Group" which shows the stove pipe from the Signal Box passing up through the roof.  I think this ties in with the pic of the guys painting the roof.

This one shows the steam tender water pipe opposite the current Gents toilets on the now Plat 3/4.

03/08/1963 - York.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/10740413313/

This one shows the water pipe in use on Plat 5
https://yorkmix.com/13-wonderful-old-photographs-that-show-how-york-railway-station-has-changed-down-the-years/

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

I've spent the last couple of days working on the inside of the area behind the booking hall, much reduced in size but hopefully still recognisable. 

Peter

Hi Peter

Am I right in observing that you have intentionally omitted the archway entrance from the portico on to the main concourse?  As I cannot see this in the middle of wall in your top pic?

Edited by Jaggzuk

The building on the right has had many incarnations depending on what era it is you are wanting to portray.  Originally it was two story building with a general waiting room facing the track and “Ladies Retiring room” behind.  Post war, it was just a wall facing the main concourse area, as it was badly damage during the WWII bomb raid and was so all demolished.  The Station Master had an office behind this wall which was a large timber shed affair.  The wall remained as a wall until early 80s where a single storey building was then rebuilt.  In 1987 it had a railway Travelers Fare and a Waitng room.  Today it houses Burger King and ATM Coffee.  So, if you are modelling post war but pre 80s, then there was no building. Pre war it was two story structure, sorry if that is not quite what you have modelled so far.

Early plan pre war

image.png.d7fd661bd0aac1ff848113d96a1501e9.png

1967 plan
image.png.d464914e8f8c2be49cbacb42af9769a7.png

1982 plan

image.png.007e7ab761da1d2d77b3bf9a33dc17f6.png

1987 Plan

image.png.69e863abc40c996d50a2941a1d34bc97.png

Post War, showing timber Station Managers office behind the wall

image.png.f02fc04fe648b997957eec5738f65c28.png198

1981  https://yorkmix.com/13-wonderful-old-photographs-that-show-how-york-railway-station-has-changed-down-the-years/

image.png.e4f483c60865d2c557525626528f71e2.png

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Great information, many thanks for your help. I think if I just put Waiting Room over the door that should be OK.

I wasn't sure what the arch into the booking hall looks like because when I went to York to photograph that station it was being refurbished and was surrounded by screens. Do you have a picture of that area? I haven't been able to find anything so far,

Peter

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I do hope you're not going to model those naff plastic sentry boxes they installed in so many stations for ticket collectors.  Good to see the changes over time though.

They are an iconic part of the railway scene and nostalgic for those of us who grew up in the 1970s. And also, largely part of history too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

They are an iconic part of the railway scene and nostalgic for those of us who grew up in the 1970s. And also, largely part of history too.

A lot of things are part of history but would be better forgotten.

I grew up in the 50s but that doesn't mean I want to see the return of winkle picker shoes or brylcream.

To put it into a 1970s context, there were piles of rubbish everywhere when the dustmen went on strike.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If you forget or expunge things from history you'll never learn and are destined to repeat them.

Personally, I quite like the 'modern' ticket collectors boxes - they provide a splash of welcome colour and smooth line modern design that contrasts with the period architecture and accentuates both.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I grew up in the 50s but that doesn't mean I want to see the return of winkle picker shoes or brylcream.

To put it into a 1970s context, there were piles of rubbish everywhere when the dustmen went on strike.

There is no perfect point in history. On a layout we can model what we like, but if it's to be accurate, that means the good and the bad. That photo is wonderfully atmospheric.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

As for the building on the right - Burger King! (well, someone had to say it ...)

Casey Jones Burgers were the BR mainline station burger bar of choice . . . apparently "part of British Rail’s British Transport Hotels subsidiary, it became part of the spun-off Travellers’ Fare in 1983, fattened up and griddled for possible privatisation. By the late 1980s, it became part of Compass Catering. In 1994, the Casey Jones burger bars were converted to Burger King franchises."

raw-1299776182.jpg.2f8ef35fa2b14af85fb20adbcf4e00c2.jpg

Was there one at York?

Ok your speed of modeling Peter is bonkers!!!

I do feel sorry for the Station Manager having to reside in a "shed" at a such a major station.

I will send some archway views shortly

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

There is no perfect point in history. On a layout we can model what we like, but if it's to be accurate, that means the good and the bad. That photo is wonderfully atmospheric.

I have to say all that photo does is remind me just how run down the beautiful station looked in the 80's. The sole thing I'd bring back  is the 2 through roads, the main trainshed looks sadly empty in their absence these days but it is in much much better condition as a building.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1