York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

I'm not too far out; we only had pictures of the booking hall side. 

Hopefully I can post some pictures of it all in place tomorrow. Many thanks for your help, those are the first pictures I've seen on the entrance.

Peter

On 14/05/2021 at 09:48, Michael Hodgson said:

A lot of things are part of history but would be better forgotten.

I grew up in the 50s but that doesn't mean I want to see the return of winkle picker shoes or brylcream.

To put it into a 1970s context, there were piles of rubbish everywhere when the dustmen went on strike.

I bet you are the best of the best with an airbrush.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

I've just got back from another day working on the layout, so here are some more pictures.

Peter,

This work is absolutely astonishing in its ambition and quality of the implementation. Bravo! Fabulous! Just keep it up! Can't wait to see a stream of EC pacifics and V2's pounding through. Not forgetting the rich variety of stock and locomotives on all those coastal and interregional trains.

I suspect that you have seen it but BTC Films available from the BFI made a lovely film in the 1950's about York Station Master.

Yet another modeller shows me why I should just pack it in! (Only kidding!)

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Peter should have gone to the top of the page but got no further than admiring your latest pictures of your work.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

The idea is to have a camera on a wagon for one thing Jonathan, but I'm sure other ideas will come up as things progress. I took these picture with my phone, there's not a chance of getting a conventional camera in there. 

Peter

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

It's a private layout built in an outbuilding; it won't be possible to exhibit it. 

Peter

A pity, and I have no doubt that it would be absolutely surrounded by hordes of admirers if it were able to attend any show, so thank you for allowing us to see such excellent worksmanship. 

I can't see a single operator running anything that size and complexity that by himself, so your client must presumably have a number of friends to help run and maintain it, though I suppose automation using something like iTrain or Train Controller must be an option.  Unfortunately I can see good reasons why your client may not want its whereabouts to be generally known and I respect that.

It is an amazing model.  How you have managed to get the right look and feel, even with a cut down version is fantastic.  For me you have got the roof curve spot on!!  It just looks right and comparing it with current views, everything about it says York.  Well done.

image.png.a04a1f55fe9058e55111097c69b37396.png

image.png.5e0b9ddb2b72ea9c54ac770849d97af3.png

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for relaying the detailed information from your customer, Peter. I'm sure it's of great interest to a number of folk. I guess it must have taken a fair while for all the trackwork to be made, tested and laid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2021 at 09:48, Michael Hodgson said:

To put it into a 1970s context, there were piles of rubbish everywhere when the dustmen went on strike.

Yes, so much better these days when there is rubbish everywhere even when the dustman are working their butts off.