York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

I've been back to do more on the layout today.

y1.jpg.b36b9502e6048a1a92b29546e8121265.jpg

The big job was to plan the outside platform with it's canopy and waiting rooms. We put a long paper in place to mark out as a template which I have brought home.

y2.jpg.dd517672f397d34dda14a8b0d045685d.jpg

I had finished the inside faces of the side walls, and left the outside faces blank for the moment. 

y3.jpg.190018ba0877aecc3c486353ac2a8187.jpg

The position of everything is clearly marked now. 

I have also done more work to the portico area which just needs some detailing now. 

y5.jpg.f586c64af10a57014b2cdc29f2540170.jpg

y4.jpg.ba308fa341be27089a6c8cbb61ec0465.jpg

Peter

For anyone who knows York this model is so much more than 'just' accurate. It oozes the character of the place in a way too few layouts really do. This is a bona fide work of art  - love it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

y4.jpg.ba308fa341be27089a6c8cbb61ec0465.jpg

Peter

Due to space constraints and the necessary slight "shortening" of the layout, it is a shame that the York-Malton Lineman's room couldn't be included in the model (opposite the bonnet of the car in above photo). However, this doesn't detract one iota from what is a quite stunning piece of modelling and demenstration of such craftsmanship.

• RMweb Premium

This is inspiring stuff, Peter.  Many thanks for showing the step-by-step construction, I have been fazed by architectural modelling in the past but seeing your approach, the materials you use and the realism of the end product makes me want to give it a go!  I don’t think I’ll ever achieve the speed of construction that you manage, though...

• Like 1

The hardest thing is making a start Phil, but once you do there'll be no stopping you.  The nice thing is that the materials are cheap so if something goes wrong you bin it and do it again and no one but you knows! Using printed papers speeds things up enormously, and of course those round corners aren't a problem. 

Speed doesn't matter if you're just building for yourself, take as long as it needs.

Peter

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

It's not an architectural masterpiece, is it.

No, the real thing might not be, but yours is a modelling masterpiece.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The whole building work on this project is a true credit to you Peter, hopefully you are very proud of what you have created for your client - and justifiably so.

Rich

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good work on show, as ever.

Interested to see IKEA’s IVAR shelving system being used under the layout.  I have used this myself and it serves the purpose very well.  Great for under-baseboard storage too!

I think they were just offcuts being used as legs....nothing goes to waste! 

Looking at the pictures again the expanse of grey tarmac strikes me...the 1955 photograph shows no white lines at all. I was posed with my brush and pot of paint, but to no avail. 

483453988_royal-york-hotel-1955800.jpg.52d96cbe687a3a1f9763f54a916c441b.jpg

We're so used to seeing lines all over the road it's a shock to see how well they seemed to cope without them!

Peter

• Like 13