York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

• RMweb Gold

Utterly believable for someone familiar with the location (albeit from the 1970's onwards). You've cleverly highlighted the key sights which successfully distract from the compression. That little red kiosk for example which I think was there at least into the early '80's. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again - WOW!!

There is one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb and sorry if I am picking on a work-in-progress or temporary feature, but it should be quite trivial to fix - the contrast on that zebra crossing in front of the hotel looks far too bright - fresh out of the paint shop.  Although I have seen black paint used it is usually plain tarmac - they normally look rather more worn.  The road markings have changed over the years though.  

The pole for the Belisha beacon isn't in quite the right place (but for all I know the real one at York may have been wrong!) - it would not normally be in the middle of the pedestrian walkway but at the side cars approach from and the one at the far side would be diagonally opposite.  A road that wide would usually have a central island with a (taller) pole in the middle.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1945to1951/filmpage_pc.htm

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The crossing does look bright in the picture Michael but it's actually two shades of grey, I tried to make it reasonably dull but perhaps it needed toning down a bit more. It looks better in the flesh. I'll have another look at the pole, it's easy enough to move. We are still trying to find something suitable for the globe on top.

Peter

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

The crossing does look bright in the picture Michael but it's actually two shades of grey, I tried to make it reasonably dull but perhaps it needed toning down a bit more. It looks better in the flesh. I'll have another look at the pole, it's easy enough to move. We are still trying to find something suitable for the globe on top.

Peter

I raided my wife’s stash of dressmakers pins……these have different coloured tops. This is N gauge but they are overscale.

57B604B9-1E5E-4342-ADC5-22E13DB100F2.jpeg

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

We had a visitor today.   David, who had spotted the photos of the lines of red buses outside the station posted on this thread, and the absence thereof on the model, and decided to help us fix it in one go.    And yes, buses come in 3s!  Thank you.

bus1a.jpg.494e1a81d991c139926d7cbc5a3713b8.jpg

bus2a.jpg.ac64a6519f2459f930644b6cc6b2f477.jpg

bus3a.jpg.85b9011b9505702346f79a5b4348d72f.jpg

Peter

You are very welcome. I really enjoyed my visit and the chance to see your incredible work close up. The view over the whole model is really stunning. 

Cheers

David

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Wow wow wow :good:what a thread I’ve just spent an hour and a half reading through it and like many others am blown away by the magnificent skill and scale of this project. I have never in all the years that I’ve been on RMweb hit the craftsman/ clever button some many times . I would hate to think of the costs involved but it would be interesting :scared:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing this develop. One of my earliest memories was my Dad lifting me up so I could see over the wall to the coaling plant with big green engines underneath.

I don't know if you do Facebook but there's a special interest group 'York Past and Present' which has a lot of interesting old photos; a fair sprinkling of railway related ones.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 1