York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

I have spent the last couple of days getting everything clear in my hear before starting work, as well as ordering the laser cut roof girders. 

The shed was rebuilt in the late 50's in a very pale brick which it is important to copy, particularly as it wouldn't have had time to get dirty. The photo below suggests that the power station that was adjacent to the shed was partly rebuilt at the same time, and in the same brick.....very useful as it is still there. 

Look on the left; the difference between the original wall and the new section is really clear.

RM6.jpg.03d1719a447c3de2e40d381769097da0.jpg

The engine shed is behind the power station. This colour picture shows the new structure nicely and the brick is clearly lighter than the old part of the power station.

RM5.jpg.dd1557988c9910b4249d7be5402d6b4e.jpg

I did a screen cap from Google street view of Leeman Road:

RM1.jpg.56ab4a724eecc5d3ef3ab1a106666b29.jpg

The power station is on the left. Below is the best image I could get of the brick wall - unfortunately it was taken on a really bright day and there is too much glare.

RM2.jpg.69a3208a0a709ce3d036cf3e44c2b689.jpg

I used the image to produce this brick paper but i don't think it's useable.

RM3.jpg.e0fab2c4f45d965a591c4a181a527aeb.jpg

I found two other images of similar brick walls as in the sample below and I think the bottom one will be OK to use.

RM4.jpg.6cadb156482d9395d43a5549bf3541f9.jpg

It can be lightened a bit and then should look fine.

Peter

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

I have spent the last couple of days getting everything clear in my hear before starting work, as well as ordering the laser cut roof girders. 

The shed was rebuilt in the late 50's in a very pale brick which it is important to copy, particularly as it wouldn't have had time to get dirty. The photo below suggests that the power station that was adjacent to the shed was partly rebuilt at the same time, and in the same brick.....very useful as it is still there. 

Look on the left; the difference between the original wall and the new section is really clear.

The engine shed is behind the power station. This colour picture shows the new structure nicely and the brick is clearly lighter than the old part of the power station.

The power station is on the left. Below is the best image I could get of the brick wall - unfortunately it was taken on a really bright day and there is too much glare.

I found two other images of similar brick walls as in the sample below and I think the bottom one will be OK to use.

Peter

Great to see the start of the next chapter of this model!

I’m sure you’re already aware but just in case the two samples at the bottom of your post have a different bond to the power station. 

Jay

• Like 1

Yes, I couldn't find anything the right size ready made. It's a sheet of 2mm clear plastic the full size of the wall with the glazing bars stuck in place one at a time. The bright white is going to need toning down in due course. The clear plastic is very rigid so it adds strength to the wall which is useful while it's not glued in place. 

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/10/2021 at 11:24, kirtleypete said:

Peter

Hi Peter, 

Great to see the next chapter in the development of this epic layout. Apologies for going slightly off topic, but I am curious to see you refer to the building in front of the loco shed as the "power station". I worked in that building for a few months in the mid-70s (York 'North End' S&T Lineman's accommodation) and would not have described it as a former power station. Do you have any references to the buildings former/original life? Just interested, that's all. 

• Like 1

The building was erected in 1877 as a hydraulic power house Ian, which originally had a tall accumulator tower, and a tall chimney.   Which is why we refer to it as the power station.   We think the building was repurposed and the hydraulic tower and chimney reduced in height about the same time as the conversion of roundhouses 1 & 2 into a straight shed and repair workshop in 1958, when the whole shed received its new roof.   The North Eastern Railway Association publication ‘North Eastern Railway Engine Sheds’ published in 2020, edited by John F Addyman is our main source for this, should that be of interest to you.   

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

The building was erected in 1877 as a hydraulic power house Ian, which originally had a tall accumulator tower, and a tall chimney.   Which is why we refer to it as the power station.   We think the building was repurposed and the hydraulic tower and chimney reduced in height about the same time as the conversion of roundhouses 1 & 2 into a straight shed and repair workshop in 1958, when the whole shed received its new roof.   The North Eastern Railway Association publication ‘North Eastern Railway Engine Sheds’ published in 2020, edited by John F Addyman is our main source for this, should that be of interest to you.   

Peter

Many thanks Peter, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Well, yes and no. I ordered twenty roof spans from Julie who runs the firm and they arrived last week. This morning I realised that I actually needed twenty two, so I e-mailed York asking if she could do me two more.  Julie e-mailed back saying she had actually done me twenty two as it always pays to have a couple of spares - I hadn't counted them, I'd just assumed I'd got twenty. What a woman; able to see in the future and mind read at the same time!!

Peter

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've always had good service from YorkMM. You gets what you pays for. Having made bespoke pieces for a customer they are willing to run off pieces for other customers, with the original buyer's agreement, as I found out with my station's doors and windows, which they had previously made for a customer building Bakewell station. In fact the whole model building can be bought as a kit.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1