York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to follow your progress Peter. I have always fancied a Roundhouse as an exhibition layout, with the viewer looking into one side of the building, something of a dark and dingy place.  A different take on the few layouts that show night scenes - one could be inspired by your model making to have a go ... something else to add to the list!

Great work on the roof out of plasticard - keep up the good progress.

Rich

• Agree 1

Absolutely stunning.

That is going to look brilliant once it is on the layout.

What struck me when I visited were the views across the layout with such a depth of view across all the scenic sections. This will produce another such view once in place.

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'll be delivering in next Thursday David and of course will take some pictures of it in place. I now need to build the straight shed that goes alongside the roundhouse, then the power station and finally bed it all in and finish the Leeman Road bridge area. By that time it should be looking pretty good hopefully. 

It will be nice to see the shed with a turntable instead of a big hole in the middle!

Peter

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to being able to play trains David. 

The power station board has moved on - I have eased the curve in the road. I was a bit concerned about a slightly rough area where I removed some pavement but of course this is England, a few pot holes adds to the realism!

LEEM1.jpg.d38960410433223386d5081cce7aeb0e.jpg

The grass mat is just green undercoat, but I may not do the scenery properly until the board is in place as it has to match across the board joins. 

LEEM2.jpg.9d5b989fb7b86375b0b71f7735aba932.jpg

LEEM3.jpg.d4cd9abe91eac7ef0b8f3e16d442d17f.jpg

LEEM4.jpg.e5a70a56935f9c40f142dce05dc7fe36.jpg

LEEM5.jpg.d353c32817f87ac43ee30d284a9de2e9.jpg

We're going to need more road vehicles! 

With this part nearly finished I'll move on to doing the shed roof and there's not much sense in posting more pictures of that so there will be a lull for a couple of days now. Hopefully I can deliver it all next week and take pictures of it in place.

Peter

Peter

• Like 19

Yes, I do all my windows the same way. First I put a piece of 0.5mm/20thou plastic behind the openings and draw round the opening onto the plastic, usually two or three at a time. These rectangles are then cut out to give the window frame and if it is a double thickness frame I repeat the process. 

The frames are then glued to a piece of 2mm clear Polystyrene, and a piece of black card is glued to the back (unless the interior is being modelled).  The glazing bars are then added one at a time from Slater's plastic strip stuck directly to the clear plastic glazing.

Finally for a building such as this I give the window a wash of dilute black paint and when that is dry they are glued behind the openings in the wall.

It's not the easiest thing to describe; the next time I do some I'll photograph each stage which should make things a lot clearer.

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1