Jump to content

York station in the 1950's.


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

The ones in the bottom left corner of this picture:

 

1738423519_coaldrops.jpg.4981772797209904b8607c94d0626055.jpg

 

We need ground level pictures that show detail of the drops themselves, ideally,

 

Peter

Hi Peter,

Although I'd be happy to be proved wrong, I'm certain the photo is well before the period your client is modelling - the power house that was provided for the 1951 resignalling at York is not shown in the photo. Therefore more than likely the photo pre dates WW2, and as 50A55B says, they were "remodelled" by the Luftwaffe. Would the coal drops have been repaired after WW2? Not sure on this, I'll see if I can find any info. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The drops are still there, sort of. The lower level of the Acpoa car park on Leeman road is fitted in around the remains of the coal cells, you can drive around it on Google earth. It's not ideal bit it will at least give you an idea of brickwork, general layout etc. The buttress nearest the ramp up to to the IECC is a recent replacement (it's hollow so not entirely sure whether it's actually holding anything up !) but the others are the cut back remains of the coal cell crosswalls. 

 

Incidentally, the stables further up Leeman Rd, increasingly dilapidated in recent years, was surrounded by scaffolding this afternoon and sporting a very fetching NER red/cream colour scheme.

 

Really enjoying this thread !

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's interesting, I'll have a look on Google Earth and street view.  The coals cells certainly seem to have been there in the 50's - they may well have been pretty much standard NER structures but it would be nice to know.

 

Peter

Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to my last post, I've been looking for info on the coal drops. Unfortunately not much found, and surprisingly it seems they escaped damage from the Luftwaffe judging by a 'bomb map' found. I was led to believe, anecdotally, that a string of bombs hit the station and yards, apparently not. So the coal drops may well have been still in use in the early 50s but as yet I not found any evidence, but, based on the photo posted earlier, some of the sidings were modified (shortened) by the time of the 1951 resignalling. 

I can confirm physical evidence of the coal drops still exist (an awful lot of brick work) as I used to have a staff permit for the car park that now occupies the area. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kirtleypete said:

This is what they look like now, but it doesn't help as great deal: 

 

788129958_DROPS1.jpg.2832410223f084f3dbc73996dfec824e.jpg

 

I've got pictures of other NER drops, so all is not lost,

 

Peter

Yep, that's them. As I said earlier, an awful lot of bricks and if IIRC the original surface was concrete not tarmac, if that helps. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, iands said:

Yep, that's them. As I said earlier, an awful lot of bricks and if IIRC the original surface was concrete not tarmac, if that helps. 


I’m sure it was sets as it was the car park used by Headquarters staff till it became an overpriced car park!

 

The building on the corner were the York Driver Managers offices in the 1990’s with classrooms for the training school!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:


I’m sure it was sets as it was the car park used by Headquarters staff till it became an overpriced car park!

 

The building on the corner were the York Driver Managers offices in the 1990’s with classrooms for the training school!

I recall it being either a bricks or sets floor too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Setts sounds likely to me. I'm amazed they were so close to the station, the coal dust must have covered everything.

 

I've been working on the portico and booking hall area, a couple of pictures show how it's progressing:

 

1805899756_PORT1.jpg.29ceb81a704dbfb30cfb12c0bcedd9f6.jpg

 

827536663_PORT2.jpg.bebc3b101fa2b4eacc5dfcadf5d68801.jpg

 

It's all hugely compressed, but that can't be avoided. The roof lifts off, and so will the one over the booking hall. 

 

Peter

  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, john new said:

I recall it being either a bricks or sets floor too.

Thanks John and Mark for jogging my memory, thinking about it, you're correct, it was 'sets'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iands said:

 

 

8 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

This is what they look like now, but it doesn't help as great deal: 

 

788129958_DROPS1.jpg.2832410223f084f3dbc73996dfec824e.jpg

 

I've got pictures of other NER drops, so all is not lost,

 

Peter

At the far end, by the steps up to the next car park, there remains a COALITE sign on a wooden board. I'm sure some of my Ebor group mates remember the drops in use. They have tried to explain how it was worked, but I don't really understand them, but then that aerial photo is difficult to decipher as well. 

 

There is a very large aerial view of the York railway complex in 1936 as the end papers of Leigh, Chris (1987) The Aerofilms Book of Britain's railways from the air. Ian Allan ISBN 0 7110 1702 6

 

Paul

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Aerolfilms collection contains four pictures of the station taken in 1947 - I've just ordered high res copies.  For those interested, the website is www.britainfromabove.org but beware, it's addictive!

 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 14:06, kirtleypete said:

Setts sounds likely to me. I'm amazed they were so close to the station, the coal dust must have covered everything.

 

I've been working on the portico and booking hall area, a couple of pictures show how it's progressing:

 

1805899756_PORT1.jpg.29ceb81a704dbfb30cfb12c0bcedd9f6.jpg

 

827536663_PORT2.jpg.bebc3b101fa2b4eacc5dfcadf5d68801.jpg

 

It's all hugely compressed, but that can't be avoided. The roof lifts off, and so will the one over the booking hall. 

 

Peter

Absolutely fantastic

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

Three pictures of the Portico.

 

PORT1.jpg.be521bee61f9bbc27a4fa16d7281c5a9.jpg

 

PORT2.jpg.b63337b2e5704e51b358ca201211e50e.jpg

 

PORT3.jpg.811ef7020e5839efbacf57eade116360.jpg

 

Peter

 

 

 

Your client will need to buy a lot of buses. (IIRC this from 1977 so a fair bit later)

 

 

york buses.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

The aerial photo's taken in 1947 arrived today; there are four and unfortunately they are all very similar.

 

772834227_YORKAIR1800.jpg.311092922a402cf0e967867b2695c890.jpg

 

I've tried focussing in on the station area but naturally the sharpness is lost.

 

1660955637_YORKAIR_006800.jpg.47976c45979e64bbca0a2e20b7b6d359.jpg

 

The wartime damage to the station is still under repair in the centre of the station. I was hoping for a clear image of the coal yard but it's still frustratingly fuzzy.  Never happy, are we!

 

Peter

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

The Leeman Road bridge is now in place, after a few alterations had to be made. 

 

IMG_8113a.jpg.6eb7cb651e34a8bde7a0b3a1a31f8b26.jpg

 

IMG_8114a.jpg.f006d44994826a39da75417f5771009f.jpg

 

Peter

 

 

Hi Peter,

Slight distraction, but in the second photo, at the back, in front of the angled thingy, is that a lever frame?

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

The Leeman Road bridge is now in place, after a few alterations had to be made. 

 

IMG_8113a.jpg.6eb7cb651e34a8bde7a0b3a1a31f8b26.jpg

 

IMG_8114a.jpg.f006d44994826a39da75417f5771009f.jpg

 

Peter

 

 


Good evening.

 

As someone that works for the railway in York and is originally from Louth I’m very interested in both projects that have been mentioned here.

 

What is being done here to represent York is simply stunning - and tastefully adjusted to meet the constraints set.
 

Is that a model of Louth station in the background of the bottom picture?
 

Exceptional modelling here...

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.