Planned German Layout

jhock

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2020 at 08:58, michl080 said:

I am living in this village.

@michl080 @jhock Let's get this straight. Is it entirely a coincidence that @jhock found the place you live when searching Google? That's crazy :-)

As it happens I saw the BR 50 in the museum at Horb a few years ago -- I did wonder why it was there, surrounded by rolling stock that (mostly) had a close connection with Stuttgart or Baden-Württemburg. Now I know!

Ben

12 hours ago, readingtype said:

@michl080 @jhock Let's get this straight. Is it entirely a coincidence that @jhock found the place you live when searching Google? That's crazy :-)

Absolute so. Even more astonishing as I am not living in the UK :-)

12 hours ago, readingtype said:

As it happens I saw the BR 50 in the museum at Horb a few years ago -- I did wonder why it was there, surrounded by rolling stock that (mostly) had a close connection with Stuttgart or Baden-Württemburg. Now I know!

The east German class 50 are probably the most numerous class in preserved railways. There were so many available in the DDR, that many were sold to the west.

They can be distinguished easily by the roof-style "Mischvorwärmer" on top of the smokebox. West German class 50 have the drum shaped "Oberflächenvorwärmer" on the smoke box. Different countries, different approaches. :-)

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Michael

• Like 2

That's the place. A village of some 4000 folks with a development centre where about 7000 engineers develop the latest in sport car design. The centre is there since the early 1970s. As long as Porsche was independent, it was Germanys richest village :-)

Now, as it is part of the Volkswagen group, we still have the traffic jams, but no money...

Have you ever been in a traffic jam made entirely of Porsche sport cars?

The downside is that there is obviously not much interest in a railway line.

coming back to the orginal thread. The Korntal-Weissach line has been built by a private company. The proposed line was of such minor importance, that the Württembergischer Landtag, the local government at that time refused to finance the project. This line, as some other lines in the very poor state of Württemberg was built and operated by the WNB, the Württembergische Nebenbahn Gesellschaft. It was built from 1902 to 1906. In 1935, the first railcars were bought and the operation of steam engines came to an early end. The number of passengers subsided after WW2, but the line could still be successfully operated because of the extensive transport of sugar beet!

The line was modernized some years ago and the number of passengers rises again. This is also due to the fact that the Stuttgart area it notorious for traffic jams even on minor roads.

The DB banned the operation of steam engines on their lines shortly after end of steam in Germany, so heritage railways had to evade to private lines. There are heritage events since the early 1970 and the line is well known for its picturesque course.

IMG_6840.JPG.dc33c0dda93463c30f031710d656bf94.JPG

Michael

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

If you do fancy a heritage line and if the BR50 is a bit big, there are plenty of smaller tank locos which have been preserved. Off the top of my head, there are several Bavarian designs available: BR70 2-4-0T, BR98.8 0-8-0T (on the Fladungen heritage line, which also has a Prussian BR89 0-6-0T ) plus the former sugar factory 0-4-4-0T Mallet. There are also a number of  enheitsloks, notably BR64s  (2-6-2T) and 86s (2-8-2T) as well as former industrial locos. All of the above are or have been available RTR and Tillig have announced one of the standard ELNA locos designed for industrial use. This is an 0-8-0T. Of course, you could run almost any small tank loco on a freelance layout ...

David C

• Agree 1

Absolutely true, there are a lot of tank engines preserved, not only Einheitslokomotiven from the 1920s onwards, but also a lot of older Länderbahnlokomotiven, like this beauty:

Badische VIc

Until 1920, Germanys states had their own railways. These were called Länderbahn, hence their locos were Länderbahnlokomotiven,

From 1920 onwards, the Deutsche Reichsbahn existed, their first move was to develop standardised engines, the Einheitslokomotiven.

Michael

• Like 2