Tri-ang Transcontinental ore wagons, slightly anglicised

So...I did manage to get hold of those bogie ore wagons in the end, with a view to a freelance wagon a bit like the Summers/ICI Tunstead ones. First example before painting, with metal buffers, Ratio plate frame bogies and Dapol metal wheels fitted. Needs ladders, chequer-plate platforms plus vac cylinder/pipes before a coat of dark blue and ICI decals go on. The novelty door gear is isolated but could be made workable again. I'll probably drop in a dummy stone load.

David

IMG_20200907_211337757.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi all,

I have about 20 American Pennsylvania bogie coal wagons suitably altered that I used to have pulled by one of my 9F's when I have my layout up and running Looked very effective and were very free running. These ore wagons should look great being pulled by a suitable locomotive.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I have about 20 American Pennsylvania bogie coal wagons suitably altered that I used to have pulled by one of my 9F's when I have my layout up and running Looked very effective and were very free running. These ore wagons should look great being pulled by a suitable locomotive.

I have an early Rovex 9F (the rarer black 92166) and a Dublo 8F that should look the part. 25s were common in later years so a green Hornby one might have to be bought secondhand...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I caved in and bought a Hornby 25 which needs detailing and flush-glazing. Seen here on my bookcase with 3 modified ore wagons, paint done but still got to finish the decals, varnish them and add dummy loads.

The Retrodecals ICI logos are actually a more recent type (Dublo & Mainline wagons in 60s livery have a different typeface and more wavy lines) but look the part all the same. Paint is WRX navy acrylic spray, very good it is too.

IMG_20200930_012326928c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 minutes ago, raymw said:

I had one of them, maybe 60 years ago. (the hopper wagon, that is.) Used to use the hopper mech. Surprised they are still around, and plastic not warped.

They can get brittle as the years go on but warping not an issue with these, unlike earlier Triang they're styrene not cellulose acetate. I kept the working door mechanism so it's still there if needed although I don't have the appropriate unloading facility.

• 3 weeks later...