Class 1366 GWR Pannier Tank

On 10/09/2020 at 12:06, Compound2632 said:

@GSWR68, from your comment about having a Hornby Pannier, I infer that you are modelling in 00 / 4 mm/ft scale. In which case, there is the Heljan 1366 class model available, which would appear to be spot on for you, though you may have to hunt around for a black one.

In addition to the above (and not what the OP was asking for, I grant you), Kernow do the engines in their saddle tank form in all of the liveries they carried. Far superior to the Heljan models in my opinion, they are pretty decently priced. 

The saddle tank variant was also unlined black in BR days. As stated in other posts, an awful lot of the workaday tank locos were. 

Edited by Edge
  • Agree 1

On 14/09/2020 at 15:51, Edge said:

Kernow do the engines in their saddle tank form in all of the liveries they carried. Far superior to the Heljan models in my opinion,

Apart from the inclusion of splashers on the Kernow model that the Prototype never had.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

Apart from the inclusion of splashers on the Kernow model that the Prototype never had.

Mike Wiltshire

More like pimples than splashers - they're barely  1mm high.

However as we i usually see most of our models from above the Kernow version does have the advantage of having a number of things in its favour as in every case each model has the correct saddle tank for its running number at the time set by its livery and of course certain features on that saddle a tank are also correct unlike the generic approach to that sort of detail which Heljan followed.  And the same can be said in respect of the tool boxes and the backs of the bunkers.  

• Agree 1

I’ve also had some quality control issues on my Heljan stuff. Nothing serious, paint splatter, glue marks etc. as well as a propensity to be extremely jerky if the screws holding the baseplate in are actually tightened.

the Kernow model by comparison does have its faults (the splashers) but generally has a better finish, better design and better build. 

9 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Mike Wiltshire

Let's not forget cab steps out of line of the cab doors and the massive slop in the coupling rods.

• Agree 3