the purpose of the BR locomotive exchange trials

18B

27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I thought I was the only one who’d noticed this. 

A couple of videos I watched on YouTube a day or two ago really put my heart in my mouth.

Maybe these locos always wallowed about, or maybe track maintained fit for modern stock isn’t quite right for them, but Certain bulleid pacifics I could mention certainly looked ready to part company with the rails to me.

On the whole, steam locomotives do not ride like Rolls-Royces, even on well maintained track, and I don't think I would rate the track on many preserved railways as being that well maintained.

Jim

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Maybe these locos always wallowed about, 

I recall, from reading many years ago, Adrian Vaughan's description of City of Truro when put on main line work in the 50s. He observed that it sat up straight and didn't wallow along like the Castles, Kings, and Counties. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I thought I was the only one who’d noticed this. 

A couple of videos I watched on YouTube a day or two ago really put my heart in my mouth.

Maybe these locos always wallowed about, or maybe track maintained fit for modern stock isn’t quite right for them, but Certain bulleid pacifics I could mention certainly looked ready to part company with the rails to me.

I'm by no means an expert on the modern P/W but I believe it's a lot stiffer than the traditional jointed track with wooden sleepers. Perhaps somebody could comment on the effect that could have on the dynamics of the steam engine.

Reciprocating action and primitive suspensions might not do so well here.

It wasn't the shedmasters who chose which locos were sent for Trials duties, this was decided far higher up the management scale and there was a stated set of criteria: the loco had to have had a recent works overhaul; and it had to have been in traffic for a sufficiently long period and accumulated enough mileage to ensure that any snags had been found and attended to. An exception, I believe, was the A4, chosen for prestige purposes as holding the world speed record but not in the best of nick, which it amply demonstrated by requiring its deputy to perform some of the turns. But generally, the engines were in good nick and the crews from the top links and well used to their engine class. That was one part where there were few variations from one engine / crew to another.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

It wasn't the shedmasters who chose which locos were sent for Trials duties, this was decided far higher up the management scale and there was a stated set of criteria: the loco had to have had a recent works overhaul; and it had to have been in traffic for a sufficiently long period and accumulated enough mileage to ensure that any snags had been found and attended to. An exception, I believe, was the A4, chosen for prestige purposes as holding the world speed record but not in the best of nick, which it amply demonstrated by requiring its deputy to perform some of the turns. But generally, the engines were in good nick and the crews from the top links and well used to their engine class. That was one part where there were few variations from one engine / crew to another.

As far as the Western is concerned crews seem to have been selected by the DMPS (District Motive Power Supt) according to the only Western man I've ever had a conversation with who drove an engine during the exchanges. ('Billy' Wells who drove the 28XX - and had a reputation as an extremely steady and skilful Driver although he wasn't in a high link at that time, hence he appeared driving the freight engine.)