Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to your start Jeff. Given what has obviously been several months of planning this could be the step-by-step guide to building a model railway! Seriously, really enjoyed the previous threads, so look forward to following Gill Head.

Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich.

Hahaha heeheehee as Andy P would say.

I'd describe what I build as somewhat eccentric and very un-typical of what most people would build. I'm strong in a few areas and rubbish in others. The layout plan, which won't be revealed for a while, has one glaring omission that would have some people screaming "rubbish" at me! So it's all very individual.

However, I've pondered over what I want for well over a year and it will keep me happy. It's the building that matters to me, not the running.

Btw, to anyone looking on here.... If you haven't seen it already, look at Jonathan's (Rowsley17D) beautiful work in his Derwent Spa layout, in the main Layout section.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mark axlecounter said:

Hi Jeff hope you are ok. 

If this is going to be like kL 1&2 then I’m looking forward to reading this. 
keep up the good work buddy 

mark T 

Hi Mark.

Hope all is well with you, too, and thanks for your continuing support. 

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I'd describe what I build as somewhat eccentric and very un-typical of what most people would build. I'm strong in a few areas and rubbish in others. The layout plan, which won't be revealed for a while, has one glaring omission that would have some people screaming "rubbish" at me! So it's all very individual.

Jeff

Don't tell me Jeff, you haven't got a bus on a bridge?

I'm looking forward to this, the inverse fell should be really impressive, not often we get proper height viaducts modelled.

I suppose it will still be EM as well?

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the plug, Jeff. It's good to hear that garage conversion is imminent and hopefully work on the actual layout will not be far behind, although I know you class the former as part and parcel of layout building. I cannot believe how far my layout has come in two and a half years given we have only been here permanently since July 2020. Just think where you could be in that time given that you're there 24/7!

Edited by Rowsley17D
Wrong immanent - too much theology
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Hahaha heeheehee as Andy P would say.

However, I've pondered over what I want for well over a year and it will keep me happy. It's the building that matters to me, not the running.

Well if your starting to take after Andy P, it will be all finished for Christmas :) 

Seriously, you have the right attitude. The exchange of information on rmWeb, the help and advice is great, but I sometimes think in trying to get it absolutely right, or listening to others, we loose that focus on what 'we' as individuals want from our layouts.  Rule 1 maintained at all times, its your layout so design it, build it and run it as you want ... unless we tell you otherwise of course :boast:

Oh and your right, Jonathan's Derwent Spa is superb....

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll post some photos of the garage conversion, when in progress, as I know some of you find it of interest.

KL2: started garage conversion in January, completed in about 6 weeks by March, work on layout started in August.

GH: Subject to building materials being available - hope to start garage conversion on Monday, September 14th and start layout work (baseboard structures) by the end of the month. 

So a different timescale here.

The viaduct will be my first priority, so I hope to have that built and in place by mid-November. We will see!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, uax6 said:

Don't tell me Jeff, you haven't got a bus on a bridge?

I'm looking forward to this, the inverse fell should be really impressive, not often we get proper height viaducts modelled.

I suppose it will still be EM as well?

Andy G

Hi Andy.

Yes, still EM. And apologies there'll be no beloved Lunefell for you to eulogise about. 

I'll have to make the gill area nice and craggy for you and get in some mood lighting!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ll miss the Fell, but if you manage to get the gill area as nicely modelled as the Fell I think l’ll be ok.... l’d forgotten about the mood lighting, but again a must!

andy g

• Like 2

Just think of it as a reversed fell...it's going to go down instead of up !

(just like the RE have been around.  "Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography !" )

Following with interest.  I've been changing my local geography again today- 12 m3 of fill delivered today for Canadian Puget Sound II.

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Jason T said:

I think I know what the ommission might be; you are thinking of going without a fiddle yard.

Am I right? :)

Perceptive as ever, Jason.

I'm not putting up - or discussing - layout plans at this stage. Far too early, and I'm not going to allow a froth-fest discussion, ad infinitum, of what is right or wrong with the plan.

I would like a fiddle yard, but - and I've spent a lot of time thinking about it - it just isn't possible given the gill area and associated cuttings etc. I'm not willing to compromise on the scenic look of GH, and if it means one train running round and round, it's a price I'm willing to pay.

But.....

There is a (approx 80cm x 40cm) lift-out section, directly in front of the entry door. This section is part of a cutting, but needs to be there. I had planned a duplicate board, track only, to allow loading of stock from cassettes. At least it's something.

I'll discuss matters in detail with you, if you're interested, when the geometry - and a plan - appears in here.

I may be corrupting you back to the railways........

Convert a Black 5 to EM for me, if you like....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I do kind of get it now. What you are creating is more of a 3d piece of art and having trains moving through it just adds to the overall creation rather than being the main purpose of the piece and as such, having a load of track on bare baseboards full of sidings that you have to then fill with stock becomes a pain in the plopper. 

If I am right in this, then you are totally right in your decision (whatever that may be). Don't let mine or anyone else's requirements for what they want from a layout steer your direction, as it may not be what you want from it.

Did I really say that? Wow - I must be mellowing in my old age :D

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to show I'm not really mellowing out, my attitude nowadays is more akin to responding to "You should......." statements with "You should F*&% off" :D

One of my mates pointed out that in a number of my videos, I basically tell the audience to f*&% off. Thing is, they bloody loved it :D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The first batch of CLS, insulation board and 18mm ply arrived at lunchtime. So I've spent the last 5 hours starting the garage conversion.

Standard stuff, DPM on the floor, wooden frames constructed (CLS is 38 x 89mm, so deep enough to take 75mm of insulation board), put into place, screwed together and insulation inserted.

I've attached a couple of pics to show where I'm at. More tomorrow.

Jeff

20200914_161730.jpg

20200914_175641.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I managed another 5 hours in the garage today, a lot of it cutting sections of insulation board to size to fit gaps in the frames. Tedious, but necessary.

Things are coming along much faster than the last time, though I'll be diverted into other tasks over the next few days, such as fence building.

A couple of terribly inspiring pics attached - but I suppose someone might enjoy the sight of red-plywood sheets!!

Maybe I ought to post some pics of locos currently sat in the cupboard? Or the fridge?

Jeff

20200915_132207.jpg

20200915_172044.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Maybe I ought to post some pics of locos currently sat in the cupboard? Or the fridge?

Jeff

Jeff,

One does not wish to be noisy nosey (bl**dy iPad), but why are you sitting locos in your fridge? Not the milk train is it?

nice to see what your doing. I have the same task with a new garage next Spring ... assuming I get the old one emptied before it falls down,.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
oops!
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

It's ok Rich, it's ok for you to be noIsy, and you can be nosey as well....

No locos in the fridge. The latter came to mind as there's a fridge and freezer in the garage at the mo. Maybe pictures of said fridge from multiple positions (!!!!!) will prove more exciting than "watching the wood grow"!!

But it IS great to be DOING something. I'd certainly envisage layout work in progress within the next 4 weeks.

Jeff

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh careful Jeff, what with noisy people (I blame the iPad spellchecker) and nosey people on here ... pictures of the fridge from multiple positions could send us all into dark rooms for a while to recover!

Glad your making progress tho.

Rich