Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, teaky said:

I'll second that.  I have owned an Evolution compound mitre saw with a smaller diameter blade than Jeff's for around 5 years too and I am still on the original blade despite having used it to cut lots of timber, steel bar, aluminium tubing, plastic pipe ...

I also own a circular saw which I have had for longer.

I bought both saws from Screwfix.  If you want one but are in no rush then I recommend biding your time though as they get substantially discounted at intervals.  (Which is also true of most of the other brands.)

One correction though, Jeff.  Sadly, they are only 'designed' in Sheffield.  (No prizes for guessing where they are made.)

Thanks for that Teaky - I'll keep my eyes open. In no rush at all - the evolution ones had been one of the options I'd looked at previously, so thanks to both you and Jeff for the recommendation. I'll keep my eyes peeled on Screwfix and Amazon websites!

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

My new saw I bought about 2 years ago, has a 2ft blade, and a bright green handle.:)

Ah this must be the equipment for the next "Build It With Peters" Blue Peter Segment .. and small OO gauge layout that can be finished in an 60 minute episode .. oh talking of which, says Andy .. here's on I made earlier :) Hehe  .. sorry Andy!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Hehe indeed, Rich.

But that "small" 00 layout may be taking over as the O gauge one is sold off....

It'll give Andy the chance to use that saw of his, and get more blood on it.

Seriously, if I used one of my dad's saws (he has at least 6, being a retired joiner) it would have taken me 6 months to do what I've done in 3 weeks. Mind you, my right arm would have had more muscle than Arnold Schwarzenegger by the time I'd finished.

I've fitted some more ply into the ceiling today. An electrician mate is calling round tomorrow so I can give him my lighting and socket requirements. I could do the electrics myself, but prefer to defer any mains work to a professional.

I have LED strip lights (NO, not so I can undress in there!!) and some other bits for him to peruse.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff. 

Great to see you have a new project underway. I'll be joining the throng of course.:biggrin_mini2:

You're brave using 6mm three ply for the ceiling. What center spacing do you have between the joists?

Was drywall (plaster board) not an option, it's surprisingly easy to put up, tape and finish. (That's easy for me to say after all the practice I've had this year).

Can't wait to see this viaduct take shape, it promises to be quite a center piece! 

Regards Shaun

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Jeff. 

Great to see you have a new project underway. I'll be joining the throng of course.:biggrin_mini2:

You're brave using 6mm three ply for the ceiling. What center spacing do you have between the joists?

Was drywall (plaster board) not an option, it's surprisingly easy to put up, tape and finish. (That's easy for me to say after all the practice I've had this year).

Can't wait to see this viaduct take shape, it promises to be quite a center piece! 

Regards Shaun

Welcome back to the Lunester world, Shaun.

I used plaster board on my first garage conversion and since then have preferred ply. The main joists have cross and side pieces attached, so the average spacing between screws is about 25cm. A typical 4' x 6' sheet has around 30 screws in it, so I think it will be ok.

Progress has been good, so far, and it's great to be doing something again.

Hope all is well on the West Coast, and that you haven't been affected by the horrendous forest fires.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Spelling correction
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Welcome back to the Lunester world, Shaun.

I used plaster board on my first garage conversion and since then have preferred ply. The main joists have cross and side pieces attached, so the average spacing between screws is about 25cm. A typical 4' x 6' sheet has around 30 screws in it, so I think it will be ok.

Progress has been good, so far, and it's great to be doing something again.

Hope all is well on th West Coast, and that you haven't been affected by the horrendous forest fires.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I'm not on the forum as much as I use to be, was not getting much done!

25cm is grand. I have a ply ceiling in my barn which needs redoing at some point. The roof trusses are 57cm apart so it has all sagged and might have something to do with raccoons who got in there. We have had plenty of projects this year such as new doors,  a new deck, loading dock/deck on the side of the barn and a rebuild of our laundry house which was almost destroyed by termites. Trouble is I suffered an elbow injury and everything is on hold.

There's a bad situation here in the aftermath of the Phoenix/Tallent fire. I have never witnessed such catastrophic devastation, it was  heroic what the emergency services did getting everyone out so fast. Many of them are still sheltered at the fairgrounds and it's starting to get cold at night. There's not been much help forthcoming from the federal government  yet either.

It might be time to come out of retirement and start up a kitchen installation business or something but  there is a 30% increase in lumber prices expected in lieu of rebuilding the towns. I just hope my arm heals up first. 

Regards Shaun

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Best of luck with all the devastation, Shaun. Pleased to hear you've avoided the worst of it.

As for raccoons and termites....nope, none of those here. A few spiders, wood lice and next door's cat, but that's it. Not surprised that your ply is sagging (almost said "wood", but the context looked dodgy!) with all those critters on the rampage.

And good luck with the fitted kitchens. Lol. Look forward to your renewed input.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Initial re-wiring has been carried out - the job should be completed on Monday. In the meantime, the old fluorescent tubes have been removed, and this has allowed access for the final beam joists to be fitted.

One of the LED strips is now active on the ceiling, and when the job is completed - with another strip and 3 other light sources - it should be plenty bright in there.

Here are 3 more pics showing wood, wood and more wood. More in a couple of days time....

Jeff

20201009_195000.jpg

20201009_195232.jpg

20201010_172538.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I now have 3 lights fitted, with 2 spotlights still to go.

Most of the walls and ceiling now have a ply covering, though, as the pics show, there's still a couple of areas left to do. Hopefully I'll get these jobs done by the end of the week.

It's pretty bright in there already, and once it's painted it should provide a photogenic space - for all the bits of wood I'll be fixing together (L-girders, baseboards, viaduct bits etc.) in the coming weeks.

Jeff

20201012_192048.jpg

20201012_192059.jpg

20201012_192111.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Jeff, Gang!

It's really great to see the rapid progress you've been making, good for you.

I can't wait to get started on my own future project, in the meantime, I enjoy watching what goes on here.

Cheers,

John.

Hi John.

Your post made me think - it's over 8 years since you started the original S&C section. And I remember that Dent layout you had at the time.

I'm going well with the garage conversion and there'll soon be something resembling baseboard frames sprouting out of the floor.

Good luck with your new project. I'm guessing it'll be H0 US or German?

Jeff

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 13/10/2020 at 17:26, Physicsman said:

Hi John.

Your post made me think - it's over 8 years since you started the original S&C section. And I remember that Dent layout you had at the time.

I'm going well with the garage conversion and there'll soon be something resembling baseboard frames sprouting out of the floor.

Good luck with your new project. I'm guessing it'll be H0 US or German?

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff!

Good heavens, time has certainly got a spurt on. I cannot believe that was 8 years ago, it seems like just a couple of years now, so much has happened.

I seem to recall that "Big Jim" came to collect my version of Dent and it later went to a local group, I wonder if they made anything of it.

The new project WILL be H0, yes! But I will probably run Peaks and the like on it too. I shall also be doing some point building too, as no-one makes the kind of points I want.

Will you be doing plenty of point building? Good man for sticking with EM, a far more realistic proposition for the type of layout you envisage, imho.

Toodle Pip!

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another update....

The ply covering is now over 95% complete and I should get it finished tomorrow.

The electrics are all fitted, so I have plenty of lighting and sockets available.

I'll be fitting "trim" in places to neaten the finish. Then it's painting and carpet-tiling. I suppose, if I'm realistic, that the new Bunker might be ready for L-girders by the end of the month. So the whole conversion will have taken me between 6 and 7 weeks, which isn't too bad.

Some pics attached, including the last one - "arty" - the Bunker viewed "by the light of the silvery spot(light)!!"

Jeff

20201015_154610.jpg

20201015_154626.jpg

20201015_154637.jpg

20201015_193039.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Apostrophe....
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

A few more pics to add to the collection.

All the floor, wall and ceiling ply - except for one panel - has now been fitted. "Trim" (using 18 x 34 spruce, rather than my usual 4x2!!) is being fitted to tidy things up. Emulsion paint will be procured in the next 2-3 days - magnolia for the walls and white for the ceiling. After painting I'll put my usual floor tiles down. These proved to be incredibly hard wearing on KL2.

Things may not look much different from the last batch of photos - although another 12 hours work has been put in. By the end of tomorrow it'll be 5 weeks since I started. 

Jeff

20201017_172254.jpg

20201017_194207.jpg

20201017_194307.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Jeff, that will be a superb room to lock yourself away in on a cold winters night and relax with some modelling ... accompanied by the sounds of the fell courtesy of that DCC sound chip that alternates between bleating sheep and the loud cry of 'time, gentleman please' from landlord of the Fellsmans Arms just down from yon station!

Very envious of what you have achieved and how quickly!  The good stuff, is yet to come :)

Rich

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Wall and ceiling ply completed.

I start painting the ceiling tomorrow.

I've checked over the 13 L-girders that were salvaged from KL2. These range in length from 37" ( 94cm) to 88" ( 223cm) and all appear to be in perfect condition, nice and straight as built in 2015. I've re-jigged the baseboard framing plan and, after painting and carpet-tiling....so, say, 2 weeks (Lockdowns allowing) and the frames will commence.

No pics today. I've taken plenty, but I'll wait until I have some drying paint to show you. That'll raise your pulse rates!! :P:dancer::)

Jeff

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick update.

Painting started on Tuesday and was completed 30 minutes ago.

It's difficult to get any photos that show anything other than a colour change from what I've previously posted. But, for completion, I'll post some pics once the paint has dried - tomorrow.

It is certainly lighter in there.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Word omitted
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Quick update.

Painting started on Tuesday and was completed 30 minutes ago.

It's difficult to get any photos that show anything other than a colour change from what I've previously posted. But, for completion, I'll post some pics once the paint has dried - tomorrow.

It is certainly lighter in there.

Jeff

Waiting for photos is like watching paint dry :crazy:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Waiting for photos is like watching paint dry :crazy:

Evening Mick.

You'd have had your dose of pics an hour or so ago if my laptop hadn't played up while downloading tonight's stuff. New machine in the new year, methinks.

Painting completed, carpet-tiling 95% done. I've had a heater on in the garage and it warms the place up surprisingly quickly. I think L-girder frames and general construction will commence on Monday/Tuesday this coming week.

Anyway, I'm loathe to prolong your paint-drying-watching activities, so here's a few pics from the last 3 or 4 days. The carpet tile pics are from this afternoon.

Jeff

20201020_160146.jpg

20201021_161315.jpg

20201022_193431.jpg

20201024_195510.jpg

20201024_195532.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Not being silly, but did you give any thought to a light blue colour, either for the top half or for the whole walls, so that when you do photos of your layout, it has a sky(ish) appearance to it?

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Jeff,

Not being silly, but did you give any thought to a light blue colour, either for the top half or for the whole walls, so that when you do photos of your layout, it has a sky(ish) appearance to it?

Rich

It's not a silly remark, Rich, and makes a lot of sense.

The reasons I wouldn't do that are a) I want the walls and ceiling to be a very light colour to reflect as much light as possible, and b) painting the walls is something I only want to do once, and painting a blue - or other colour - commits me to it. I don't want to be painting walls at a later time with a layout in place. The backscene colour is kept flexible, and can be put in on movable boards or sheets of material at a later time.

There's no reason someone might choose to go with your scheme and be happy with it.I

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Evening Mick.

You'd have had your dose of pics an hour or so ago if my laptop hadn't played up while downloading tonight's stuff. New machine in the new year, methinks.

Painting completed, carpet-tiling 95% done. I've had a heater on in the garage and it warms the place up surprisingly quickly. I think L-girder frames and general construction will commence on Monday/Tuesday this coming week.

Anyway, I'm loathe to prolong your paint-drying-watching activities, so here's a few pics from the last 3 or 4 days. The carpet tile pics are from this afternoon.

Jeff

It was worth the wait Jeff.  I think you have done a good job.  Are you planning to do anything about insulating the access door or are you leaving it as it is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Physicsman said:

It's not a silly remark, Rich, and makes a lot of sense.

The reasons I wouldn't do that are a) I want the walls and ceiling to be a very light colour to reflect as much light as possible, and b) painting the walls is something I only want to do once, and painting a blue - or other colour - commits me to it. I don't want to be painting walls at a later time with a layout in place. The backscene colour is kept flexible, and can be put in on movable boards or sheets of material at a later time.

There's no reason someone might choose to go with your scheme and be happy with it.I

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes that's a very valid point actually about reflecting the light, something I actually hadn't considered.

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Mick, there are plans for the access door and the "hole" that gives access to the RCD box and sockets.

I've left space adjacent to the door to fit a simple sliding door, made from a sandwich of 6mm ply and 25mm insulation board. Since I currently have no stock of either, this will be built in the next month or so.

I also plan a quick-remove plug-in board to fit across the front of the RCD. I've left enough joist space here to make this easy.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Jeff,

Yes that's a very valid point actually about reflecting the light, something I actually hadn't considered.

Rich

The thing is, your light blue sky paint might well have been as reflective as magnolia.

To be honest, I hadn't even thought of what you suggest - it's a good idea. I think my reason (b) weighs in my mind - I like to keep my options open.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple more pics of the new Bunker, taken in natural lighting. With a comparable ISO setting and camera angle, the exposure time is more than half what it was prior to painting, so the scattered light levels in there are at least twice what they were. Hardly unexpected - who would paint the ceiling white and expect the room to get darker!? :scratchhead::(

I'll be building a couple of new 2.4m L-girders tomorrow, so 6 weeks after the garage conversion started, something vaguely "railway model" is happening.

Jeff

20201025_140423.jpg

20201025_140445.jpg

• Like 11