Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

On 24/10/2020 at 16:44, Physicsman said:

The reasons I wouldn't do that are a) I want the walls and ceiling to be a very light colour to reflect as much light as possible, and b) painting the walls is something I only want to do once, and painting a blue - or other colour - commits me to it. I don't want to be painting walls at a later time with a layout in place. The backscene colour is kept flexible, and can be put in on movable boards or sheets of material at a later time.

There's no reason someone might choose to go with your scheme and be happy with it.I

Jeff

It's my scheme with Long Marton- the backscene is being redone right now, before I get to the ceiling of the basement (which has to come down, see LM thread for why).  The intent is to paint the plywood liner (it's 5.2mm ply, which I've chosen use to replace the original 1/2" shiplap), with blue above the layout edge, and green below it.  

The overhead will be in white or light blue.  I think that I will end up with cloth coverings draping down from the overhead, and cabinets hidden by the cloth.  I'm still thinking about how to do this, in that I need a bunch of the space for storage of stuff.  The staging side has Ikea cabinets that are currently in my van, so they will be up in the near future.   Photos will follow in the Long Marton thread.

James

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've got more than a dozen L-girders from the KL2 layout, but, of course, some of them are just a bit shorter than I need for GH. So a couple of 2.4m (94.5") girders were built today, and these will go under the station area.

I'm using the term L-girder in its most general form, as I basically use them to construct flexible "tables" on which a ply baseboard can sit. There will be some massive changes in height on this layout, but as long as my girders give me the ability to provide variable base height and avoidance of point motors (by easy positioning of cross-joists), then I'm happy.

The first L-girder frame/table, using today's girders, should appear tomorrow.

Jeff

20201026_152619.jpg

20201026_152628.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Ah! Beat you Jeff. I got started on baseboards on page 3 of my thread, but then I didn't have as many folk contributing as you have had. It must be good to have started something more layout related although I regard room prep as much part of the modelling as building baseboards, laying track, etc.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Ah! Beat you Jeff. I got started on baseboards on page 3 of my thread, but then I didn't have as many folk contributing as you have had. It must be good to have started something more layout related although I regard room prep as much part of the modelling as building baseboards, laying track, etc.

Evening Jonathan.

I appreciate all the input as it keeps me motivated and sometimes generates ideas, often by the merest suggestion of something peripheral to the main discussion.

As for the modelling, I can honestly say that the process from garage conversion through baseboard to tracklaying is my favourite part of the whole business. Building the scenery is also brilliant, as is scratchbuilding. My least favourite bit is running the trains, which I see as an add-on to creating the landscape.

This viewpoint may not be popular, or widely-held, but each to their own. It's a hobby, so as long as we enjoy what we do, that's all that matters.

You may remember the "controversy" at this stage of KL2, when someone objected to the way I do my L-girders (see KL2 thread, pages 49-50). Yes, they were correct that I go WAY OTT with my wood sizes - the girders today equate to 127 by 89 (about 5 x 3.5" in old money) . HOWEVER, it's what I want to do and if another person wants to use 2x1's, that's their choice, so good luck to them.

Even better, perhaps, is the months of planning, design, modifications, anticipation etc BEFORE a piece of wood is cut. All great fun.

No wonder Bodge is always wanting to build a new layout!

Sorry....I've gone into woffle mode....Jeff's Philosophy......

Now then, anyone for water on the moon and moon landings? Oh, and the new observatory should be functional by December....

Jeff

Ps. You can all wake up now. I've shut up! :yahoo:

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The first L-girder table was built today. The pics are self-explanatory:

Interior cross-joists cut

Cross-joists fitted

Top cross-joists added - these allow the joist fitted to the underside of the ply baseboards to be "locked" in place (if I'd done this on KL2 I could have easily removed the boards and....well, I learn, eventually!)

Legs attached - in addition, the frame is connected to the back wall. 

2 more general views.

This sets the road deck at about 110cm.

The adjacent, smaller, L-frame will be built tomorrow.

Jeff 

20201027_124627rs.jpg

20201027_143715rs.jpg

20201027_151124rs.jpg

20201027_194257.jpg

20201027_194308.jpg

20201027_194716.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2020 at 20:39, Physicsman said:

The first L-girder table was built today. The pics are self-explanatory:

Jeff 

20201027_194257.jpg

Hi Jeff,

Looking good, and nice to see things coming together for you.  Is there any reason you have put the 'L' girders the same way round? I would have thought they would both have been the same as the back one - ie the flat side to the outer, so that the legs go within the 'L' shape on the inside?  Not suggesting you've done it wrong or anything, more making a mental note for myself, and wondering, as you have both laid them on the floor and built them that way, if there is a specific reason/advantage for doing it?

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich.

Good, relevant question. Simple answer....

The cross joists which are attached to the bottom of the ply baseboard are fitted to the frame by screwing upwards through the flange of the girder. So both flanges have to be accessible. With the girder backed against the wall both flanges have to point in the same direction....

If the frame was accessible from both sides then the "Ls" could point in opposite directions.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Coming on well Jeff,:good: I may have some new frames to build in the coming weeks if all goes well.:sungum:

I hope you enjoy building them as much as I do, Andy.

Maybe you need to use concrete to support all those monster diesels you are driving around.

They DO look lovely.

Jeff

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

I hope you enjoy building them as much as I do, Andy.

Maybe you need to use concrete to support all those monster diesels you are driving around.

They DO look lovely.

Jeff

And Sound it as well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You are probably going to get tired of seeing pics of wood, more wood, more cut wood, more joined wood, wood on its side, wood lying on the floor, wood pierced by screws..... You get the idea. Anyway, it's what I (love to) do!!

So here are 3 pics from today. Hoping to get the main frames done by the end of next week - in time for the "predicted" dry interlude - when I hope to cut the 12mm ply tops (which I need to order).

When the ply arrives, I can start work on the viaduct construction.

Jeff

20201028_162623.jpg

20201028_162935.jpg

IMG_7716.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

You just get high on freshly sawn wood, come on admit it, I do, haha.:laugh::dancer:

I think you may be right, Andy. Freshly cut wood has a lovely smell, addictive I suppose.

I can't wait to get out the EvoStik when the cork goes down......

WheeeeeEeeeeeeeeeee..........:dancer::dancer:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Western Red Cedar.

When I went in the barn to get wood for the forms, I started moving the 1x8's (25x200, in SI) around, and you could smell the cedar.  

They were cut in 2006 or so !

I didn't use them for making forms...several went next door to make planters, but the forms got made from 20x200 from Lowes (like B&Q).    That, and salvaged 5/4 deck boards that weren't too rotten for two more uses- they are now in 400mm chunks to go into the woodstove...  

Forms taking a break...

Anything that the kids wanted, they took before my heat recovery plan- so the 50x100 (2x4's) went to the kids bike park, as did some of the 5/4 deckboards.   The forms were about 11' long by 8' high, with a fill level of about 6' actually used.  (determined by the final height I needed, I wasn't 100% sure how far up the walls we were going till they were sitting on the footings)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As if photos of my timber wasn't enough, James is adding to the collection. Next I expect Shaun (Sasquatch) along with pics of the local wood mill that services his layouts needs!

Anyway, I threatened more wood. Here's the 2 end frames I built today. Again, these will give a road deck of 109cm (I said 110 earlier, which wasn't quite right). Tomorrow will see a much lower frame - the one that goes underneath the viaduct and gill scenery.

Jeff

20201029_202347.jpg

20201029_202435.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Physicsman said:

As if photos of my timber wasn't enough, James is adding to the collection. Next I expect Shaun (Sasquatch) along with pics of the local wood mill that services his layouts needs!

You must have been reading my mind Jeff. Actually we are milling our own timber these days on my mate Jim's Alaska mill. Believe it or not he designed and built that himself. Looks like something from friggin Star Wars. It'll cut 40' logs into 5mm planks. We made roughly 600 square feet of 2"x6"cedar decking in 3 afternoons.

Sorry the video is on its side, probably because we're 90 degrees across the worlds surface or something. Still I'm proud I managed to get a link to it from my phone to your thread though Jeff.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0boYA0KCvhCknYpimoP63CIhg

BTW What tea do you drink???

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, it's another world at longitude 90 degrees west! Why build model railways when you can model in 1:1 gauge to make things like that? I can imagine you roaring round in that in a Mad Max film!

Looks like a lot of fun.

As for tea.....I tend to drink mostly coffee these days, but aside from the usual PG Tips and Yorkshire tea, I do like a bit of Earl Grey or Darjeeling.

Don't tell me you also have a tea plantation over there?

You'll be taking over the world soon, Shaun, and putting Jeff Bezos out of business!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If you are waiting for cuttings, walling, vegetation, variable landscapes.....well, you've a fair bit of time to endure.

In the meantime, 4 days into building the layout "skeleton", the pics show the girder table that goes underneath the viaduct. Well, this is the first 6' (180cm) of it, there's an adjacent 2' section yet to be built. Tomorrow.

The legs on this table are only 40cm high. With the trackbed at 109cm, and a 49cm fall from track to base of viaduct, this allows me 20cm of landscape for the gill etc below the bottom of the viaduct itself.

Once the main tables are built, and ply tops fitted, I'll start on the viaduct. The main core of that structure should only take a week or so to build. Now as for the stonework - THAT may take a VERY long time....

Jeff

20201030_204329.jpg

20201030_204342.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Jeff, it’s really nice to see you up and at it again. I followed your old thread for a long time and effectively lost interest in rmweb when you had other things to attend to. But now you are back and all is right with the world.

Who knows, I may even be inspired enough to do something myself...

Cheers, Neil. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Neilgue said:

Hi Jeff, it’s really nice to see you up and at it again. I followed your old thread for a long time and effectively lost interest in rmweb when you had other things to attend to. But now you are back and all is right with the world.

Who knows, I may even be inspired enough to do something myself...

Cheers, Neil. 

Hi Neil.

Thanks for your continued interest in the thread. Having to destroy KL2 at the stage it was at was pretty disheartening, and I did wonder if I could ever be bothered to start again. But 2 years on and the desire to build has really got me going. First plans for GH were drawn up in May 19 and revised, revised, revised. In fact, still changing right now as real-world problems in the build force modifications.

It keeps things interesting, even if the general plan remains the same.

Am I mistaken, or are you one of my foreign "correspondents" from Australia? You'll probably tell me you actually live 5 miles down the road!

If I can inspire you to build something, do it. My experience on here - contrary to what some say about RMweb - is that people are very helpful, whatever you build.

Jeff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

The legs on this table are only 40cm high. With the trackbed at 109cm, and a 49cm fall from track to base of viaduct, this allows me 20cm of landscape for the gill etc below the bottom of the viaduct itself.

Jeff, do you need/want as much as 100' vertical ?  I lost my 1st attempt at a post, but it would seem to me that you probably only need about 10 cm below the bottom of the viaduct, on the 40 cm or so you have- unless it is going to extend off the front of the table.  (google " arten dale viaduct images " and I think it will be the 3rd one, it's Alamy, so I can't repost it here...)

Looking good ! (but trying to save SOME of the worlds plaster supply !)

James

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi James.

On the diagram I have in front of me I have rail deck at 109cm, bottom of viaduct base 49cm down (scale about 120') at 60cm and an 8cm drop (20') based on the very pics you've Googled, taking me down to 52cm above the floor.

The legs are 40cm, and the top of the L-girder is 44mm higher, so at 44.4cm. The cross joists on top of the girders are 44mm, and there'll be a 12mm ply sheet across these, covering the whole table. So top of that is at 50cm above floor datum.

So I've really given myself the 10cm you talked about, from 60 to 50. Sorry I wasn't clear. SOME of the world's plaster is safe - for the time being!!

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Neil.

Thanks for your continued interest in the thread. Having to destroy KL2 at the stage it was at was pretty disheartening, and I did wonder if I could ever be bothered to start again. But 2 years on and the desire to build has really got me going. First plans for GH were drawn up in May 19 and revised, revised, revised. In fact, still changing right now as real-world problems in the build force modifications.

It keeps things interesting, even if the general plan remains the same.

Am I mistaken, or are you one of my foreign "correspondents" from Australia? You'll probably tell me you actually live 5 miles down the road!

If I can inspire you to build something, do it. My experience on here - contrary to what some say about RMweb - is that people are very helpful, whatever you build.

Jeff

Yes, I really am from Australia. While I did add a few comments, I am mainly a lurker...