Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Just had a thought, Jeff. :o

If you primarily want to watch the trains passing by, do you actually need to fit point motors and wire the sidings?

Interesting comment, Peter.

At the end of the day the construct has to be a fully-functional model railway, as that way all options are open for its operation. I'm more than likely to just sit and watch a loco pass through the cutting and over the viaduct, but a bit of shunting is therapeutic.I

And I need my fix of wiring, soldering, control panel building etc!

Jeff

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

My supply of 3mm ply was delivered this afternoon, so I'll start drawing out the piers tomorrow, ready for cutting. Pics, as usual!

I used a few bits of left-over CLS to make a couple of frames for the viaduct to stand on. The viaduct needed lifting by around 9cm. The CLS I used was 89mm, so the top of the viaduct road deck is now almost level (within 0.5mm) with the main baseboard tops. 

3 pics to keep you happy!!

Jeff

20201110_164137.jpg

20201110_165243.jpg

20201110_200745.jpg

• Like 10

Just as an aside, and to confirm that I am a true Bodger.:sungum:

The Viaduct was a length of 9mm Ply about 3 inches wide, (see what I did there, mixing Metric with Normal), :rolleyes:anyway, it was about 9ft or so long.

I then found some off cuts of 3 x 2 CLS Timber and nailed then through the top about middle of timber and spaced out as I thought looked good, but not measured in any way.

I then found some old off cuts of Hardboard taken off the Clubs previous Layout and joined then together to form a front after cutting some arches.

I then added a bit of Hardboard along the back top to form the wall on that side.

The front was then covered in Slaters 7mm Dressed Stone.

At this stage it was a Single Track.

Then one night some bright spark suggested that it might be a good idea if that line was Double Track.

So, at about 7pm another member and I got some screwdrivers and prissed off the rear wall that had been tacked on as an afterthought.

Added another length of 2 x 1 along the back. re fitted the wall, and got some more scrap 7mm Dressed Stone and added bits to the piers for the full depth. there is no back on it, as far as I can remember.

The following week the Track was laid, tested and Ballasted.

Job done.:good:

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I hear that those charming people from Hollywood have been in touch to discuss contracts for a forthcoming series of new Marvel films, themed around Stan Lee's much-missed character Super Bodge.

Better than any of the other super-heroes at construction, penetration (with 6" nails, that is), chameleon behaviour (ability to turn green when in an ec-static mood), born leader (good with flock), ability to suss out a situation (gauging what's going on) and a self-whizz behind the director's chair, especially when performing your own version of G-TAP dancing (with George in tow).....

As Jason once said, "Rome wasn't built in a day, Jeff would almost manage it and Bodgit would try to do it in 30 minutes until Dee told him to sit down!!"

Jeff

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

A number of jobs have been done today, not all rail related. However, I did spend an hour or so drawing out the first section of the viaduct outline onto a sheet of 3mm ply.

To give a sense of scale, the distance from the base of the piers to the top of the viaduct wall (top horizontal line) is 478mm, corresponding to nearly 120' to scale. Typical separation at the top of the piers (80% up) is about 184mm, or 46' to scale.

This section will be cut out tomorrow and glued/screwed to the viaduct skeleton.

Jeff

20201111_185424.jpg

20201111_185434.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Continuing on....

Lines drawn at 8mm vertical intervals (2') to help keep stone courses aligned

First fascia cut out - a Stanley knife comes in handy

Fascia glued and screwed to the viaduct skeleton

More shortly.

Jeff

20201112_131916.jpg

20201112_141322.jpg

20201112_153759.jpg

20201112_153826.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The same procedure for the second fascia, duly cut out and attached to the viaduct frame.

This completes the fascia for the West (room facing) side of the viaduct. It is meant to be representative of 8 of the 11 arches shown on the first photo of post 1, page 1 of this thread.

For the record, piers (left to right) are included: 10, 9, 6, 5 (King), 4, 3, 2 (King), 1 and 0.

Jeff

20201112_201737.jpg

20201112_201750.jpg

20201112_201821.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Cheers lads. Glad you like.

I've now drawn, cut-out and fitted the last bit of the East side fascia. I started to draw it and thought, sod it, may as well get it fitted....you know how things are.

More pics below. I've added the very first pic from this thread after the last one of my model, as that image is the kind of thing I'm aiming to match. Please remember that I've been working on the East face today. The "real" image is of the West face...

Jeff

20201113_203318.jpg

20201113_203345.jpg

20201113_203358.jpg

20201113_203502.jpg

_DSC5364.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The wit of the Lunesters - always makes me laugh!

Nothing major on the viaduct today. I might mark out the ground line onto each face so I can then see how much of the piers will be "underground" and not need "stoning".

A bit more track planning, I think - marking the route into the boards. I've re-stocked with cork, bus wires, dropper wires and solder, so there's no reason a bit of tracklaying can't commence next week.

And if my suppliers of 2' x 3' x 2' blocks in the Dent area can't come up with the goods, I'll have to break open a packet of DAS.....

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Another 6 hours in the Bunker and, for a change, it feels like there's nothing "concrete" to show for it. Lots of plans sorted, track checked and the viaduct "marked".

So, first - the viaduct. The first 2 pics show (black dashed line) the level of the ground surrounding the base of the viaduct piers. I've erred on the cautious side - if you check any Arten Gill images (the pics I've shown are of the West face) you'll see that a bit more of the piers are covered. This may save me a few hundred stone blocks, but I'd like as much of the structure as is realistically possible to be visible.

The track plan has been transferred in pencil onto the baseboard tops for nearly all the layout. Yes, my doodlings will be covered up with cork underlay, but it's nice to see that the geometry works. Or, in some cases, doesn't. I really enjoy this aspect of layout building and I think I've got a better flow for the track - even by tweeking things a cm or two - than last time. We will see!

The last 2 pics show some of this process. And yes, I AM aware that there are a "FEW" gaps in the mock-up. I do have a few lengths of SMP flexi ready to sort this....:beee::boast:

Jeff

20201114_135454.jpg

20201114_135503.jpg

20201114_160534.jpg

20201114_160546.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Duplicate word removed
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Always good when some track comes out even if it is only temporarily in place. I agree with you in that it would be a pity to submerge those lovely slender piers into the landscape. After all, there has to be some reason for building a viaduct.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope you're now fully recovered, Peter.

You must be, if you're up to stripping!

Amazing the things you get round to doing. What does Mrs K think about having partially stripped coach doors in her garden porch?

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've spent a pleasant hour or so breathing in solder fumes as I removed all the bits of droppers left on the turnouts from KL2. They are all ready for new ones, and that job will commence tomorrow.

I also built the simplest of simple arrangements linking the viaduct across the door access. The track route off the viaduct is sketched on the board, and is fairly clear on the pics.

A motley collection of pics attached.

Jeff

20201115_150400.jpg

20201115_150439.jpg

20201115_150634.jpg

20201115_151230.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I love the sweeping curves off that viaduct Jeff.  Remarkably to see how quickly you have moved forward ... will you be taking the 'speedy layout builder' rosette from Mr Peters :) Can you have it finished by next weekend?

Rich

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

I love the sweeping curves off that viaduct Jeff.  Remarkably to see how quickly you have moved forward ... will you be taking the 'speedy layout builder' rosette from Mr Peters :) Can you have it finished by next weekend?

Rich

I must admit that I was pleased with the line the track takes on/off the viaduct at that end. Because of lack of space, it then sweeps round in a tight arc towards the station (my smallest radius of about 30" , mostly it's about 40" ). Hopefully, the cutting at that end will disguise things.

As for speed, it's not intentional - just enjoying myself. It was 2 months ago yesterday when I started the garage conversion. I would like to think it will take about 2 years to get GH to a near-finished state. By that time Andy will have scrapped Seven Mills and built and sold 3 00 gauge layouts, even though he's taking it "easy"!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2