Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Ian, nobody is taking the bait.

I think we'll curtail further discussion of "what might have been" / alternative reality options for the colour of the viaduct and return to the real world.

Jeff

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I've fitted the 5 painted arch liners under the road deck.

The fit is pretty snug, with the stone facing about 4-5mm below the ply arch - as expected given the "beastie" structure and 2mm DAS used to build the structures. 

Any "underhang" will not be apparent once the correctly-shaped arch rings are in place.

Some pics showing how things stand...third pic uses the fairly feeble flash on the phone to try to make the liners clearer / fourth pic is a view of the rear (east) face of the viaduct.

Jeff

20201219_194251.jpg

20201219_194307.jpg

20201219_194321.jpg

20201219_133515.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Even the boxes in the back ground, through the middle arch, of that last picture are showing their approval :good:

Those piers are starting to look stunning. Keep up the good work.

steve

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

Jeff

Even the boxes in the back ground, through the middle arch, of that last picture are showing their approval :good:

Those piers are starting to look stunning. Keep up the good work.

steve

Steve, you're not supposed to be looking at the Amazon boxes....btw, they contain further supplies of DAS.

Just about 4.5kg used so far, 3kg still in reserve.

Maybe I ought to send you a packet to encourage you to build your walls!

Thanks for your continued support. As with Jason, Bodgit and others, you need to keep me on my toes!

Jeff

PS. You can see yet more DAS on the work table (through the RIGHT arch - getting like Playschool, if you're old enough to remember it). Wish I had shares in the DAS clay business!

Edited by Physicsman
Adding PS
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Thanks for the offer. Like you I have a good few packs in stock. My walling is progressing slowly, after today’s announcement I may have more time on my hands from Wednesday onwards. I will take a picture tomorrow of current progress and post on here if that’s ok with you? Need to start applying colour next.... but we won’t go there :nono:

Steve

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

Jeff

Thanks for the offer. Like you I have a good few packs in stock. My walling is progressing slowly, after today’s announcement I may have more time on my hands from Wednesday onwards. I will take a picture tomorrow of current progress and post on here if that’s ok with you? Need to start applying colour next.... but we won’t go there :nono:

Steve

As long as you follow the advice in my PM.....And stick to greys!!

:angel::angel:

And yes, post on here by all means.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At well Jeff it was worth a try. I still think your missing an opportunity though. Just think what a stir it would have caused amongst the modelling fraternity. You would have been talked about for eons.

But if you wish to be normal run of the mill I'll go along with it.

You are making very good progress and now that the arches are in place you should really be able to crack on.

Cheers

Ian

P.s I hope that Das is british. Don't won't it stuck in a queue at Dover. Heaven forbid.

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2020 at 20:20, Physicsman said:

I managed another 5 hours in the garage today, a lot of it cutting sections of insulation board to size to fit gaps in the frames. Tedious, but necessary.

Things are coming along much faster than the last time, though I'll be diverted into other tasks over the next few days, such as fence building.

A couple of terribly inspiring pics attached - but I suppose someone might enjoy the sight of red-plywood sheets!!

Maybe I ought to post some pics of locos currently sat in the cupboard? Or the fridge?

Jeff

20200915_132207.jpg

20200915_172044.jpg

Doing a floor like that you can consider finding the lowest point and making a small section there removeable then if ever you get water spilt or blowing in or just dripping off coats  you could get it out.

Don

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2020 at 20:07, Physicsman said:

Evening Andy.

I was looking through a box of "odds and sods" the other day and came across a copy of the 1981 Hornby Track Plans book (5th edition, I think). I used to drool over the track plans (note I didn't say "layout") and wish I could cover a 12' x 10' baseboard in track.

I also remember looking at copies of Railway Modeller in the early 80s and being dismayed at some of the layouts that seemed to contain a little bit of track, a few buildings and the rest was scenic.

Nowadays, as you know, it's ALL about the landscape for me. If I had another 10 feet to play with then I'd probably have chucked in some fells as background and would hardly change my existing trackwork. As it is, the down train (Carlisle bound) leaves the station, passes through a long cutting, over the viaduct, into another cutting and finally back to the goods end of the station. I'd almost be willing to sacrifice the station for a fiddle yard, but the scenic sections are paramount.

I'm looking forward to building it.

Jeff

I understand what you want Jeff. My friend Ken Payne didn't want to lose half his train room to a fiddle yard. So he built a country station on one side and on the other  put a set of carriage sidings and the engine depot. The ends ran thought tunnels outside the shed so he made the exit at on end look like the entrace to a station of the other with the overall roof visible on the backscene. Operation was very simple he would bring a loco off shed couple up to a train in the carriage sidings  and set off. I spent quite a few afternoons with him. I remember we spent an hour and a half with a cuppa and a bit of cake while my Bulldog with his coaches ran round and round. Occasinally he would shunt a train but just watching them run against a lovely scenery was what he wanted.

The other alternative to a fiddle yard is simple hidden storage sidings. No need for access trains are just stored there so they can be under scenic sections. Any change of locos or shufflings stock around has to be done in the visible station.

Don

ps very late to the party apologies if covering old ground will catch up sometime.

Edited by Donw
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Donw said:

I understand what you want Jeff. My friend Ken Payne didn't want to lose half his train room to a fiddle yard. So he built a country station on one side and on the other  put a set of carriage sidings and the engine depot. The ends ran thought tunnels outside the shed so he made the exit at on end look like the entrace to a station of the other with the overall roof visible on the backscene. Operation was very simple he would bring a loco off shed couple up to a train in the carriage sidings  and set off. I spent quite a few afternoons with him. I remember we spent an hour and a half with a cuppa and a bit of cake while my Bulldog with his coaches ran round and round. Occasinally he would shunt a train but just watching them run against a lovely scenery was what he wanted.

The other alternative to a fiddle yard is simple hidden storage sidings. No need for access trains are just stored there so they can be under scenic sections. Any change of locos or shufflings stock around has to be done in the visible station.

Don

ps very late to the party apologies if covering old ground will catch up sometime.

:offtopic: I envy your friendship with the great Ken Payne and his 0-gauge Last Great Project - marvelous layout.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

:offtopic: I envy your friendship with the great Ken Payne and his 0-gauge Last Great Project - marvelous layout.

Indeed, I still watch the BRM DVD with Tony Wright, a marvellous Layout and a thoroughly nice chap by the seems of it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Indeed, I still watch the BRM DVD with Tony Wright, a marvellous Layout and a thoroughly nice chap by the seems of it.

Very sadly Ken is no longer himself these days.  A great modeller and a good friend. 

Don

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/10/2020 at 00:44, Physicsman said:

It's not a silly remark, Rich, and makes a lot of sense.

The reasons I wouldn't do that are a) I want the walls and ceiling to be a very light colour to reflect as much light as possible, and b) painting the walls is something I only want to do once, and painting a blue - or other colour - commits me to it. I don't want to be painting walls at a later time with a layout in place. The backscene colour is kept flexible, and can be put in on movable boards or sheets of material at a later time.

There's no reason someone might choose to go with your scheme and be happy with it.I

Jeff

Painting a room blue can have quite an effect on how the other colours look. Blue Sky is more an absence of any other colour.  When on a nice day the Sky is blue it may make water look blue but doesn't cast a blue shade on anything else. Painting a surfae quite close to you blue has different effects. A blue sky is cheering blue walls can feel cold.

Don

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: Pier 4 is now complete, and "scaffold supports" ( not sure if they have a proper name?) have been fitted below the liners at the top of piers 2, 3, 4 and 5.

I will post some pics tomorrow, as Is like to get pier 3 done by then (piers 3 and 4 are the 2 narrow piers either side of the Gill).

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, peach james said:

Jeff,

As we live in sensible places, today is of course 21/12

Happy Rush Day !

James

A friend much nearer than Canada sent me a text about an hour ago saying "today is a good date".

Took me 30 seconds to work it out.

Happy Rush Day to you, too!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic: Happy Rush Day Jeff. 

Still one of their finest albums. This copy dates back to 1980, and still one of my favourite Albums. (For the younger viewers this is a Cassette Tape, brought to play in the car, way before MP3 and iPods :music_mini2:)

2112.jpg.5fb68025545e5e7810f5d6c484c85357.jpg  

722236481_21122(2).jpg.a2ee02cef9f3fe5709efb32eee8f93fa.jpg

PS. This has not been played for years. 

Now back on track. Looking forward to the next picture update from the construction site.........

Edited by Ramrig
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, Steve.

I first came across them around 1978. Someone suggested I give Genesis and Led Zep a break and try some Rush. 

Moving Pictures was my first Rush album in 1981 - on LP, those black shiny things that had an infinity of interesting covers.

Since then I've lost track - I think I have 4 complete sets of all their albums on CD, from straight AAD releases in the early age of CD (1985!!) to remaster of remaster....

As many will have noticed, I've never changed my post footer - a tribute to 3 great people, one no longer with us. May they live on in the Limelight until at least 2112.

Btw, I still have hundreds of TDK cassettes, and a few pre-recorded ones. Oh, the days of Dolby B and C......

Modelling update shortly!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
MORE auto-correct INCORRECTS
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The first two pics show the current, general, view and "THAT" view....

Stone laying has commenced on pier 6 (to the left) and piers 3 and 4 are complete (one row left out of 49 to do on pier 3).

I've started adding the springer course at the top of pier 4, and been fiddling around with arch ring geometry. Pic 4 shows a card cut-out of the ring between piers 3 and 4. The arch rings will all be slightly different due to inherent variations in the build. I'll use a ring made from 40thou plastikard and fit the voussoirs (ring blocks) onto it - all 50ish of them. For 16 arches. 

This is gonna take time and drive me EVEN nuttIER!

Pic 5 shows one side of pier 3 - there are 3 holes in the stone course 4 down from the springer. I'll do the same on some of the other piers. Why? The holes will be filled with some larger stones that protrude out - these were the remnants of the scaffold support, as they constructed the arches. It's a token gesture - thanks to John Wardle for pointing these out.

Jeff

20201221_185835.jpg

20201221_185855.jpg

20201221_185613.jpg

20201221_185515.jpg

20201221_185702.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

That completed pier really looks the business, Jeff. It's going to look amazing when all of it is done which with the speed you're working won't be too far into the New Year. All the best for a lock-in Christmas.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Jason, Jonathan, thanks for the comments.

I've put another 300 stones on today, which in the context of the number remaining isn't great. But it's war by attrition. 2 weeks ago there were 400 on, now it's nearly 6,000.

I think it will take another month, if I'm realistic. There are a number of issues that will slow things down. The piers are the easy bit. Cutting, building and fitting the 16 arch rings will take ages. Then there is the different stone surface (looks like predominantly one foot stones, so fiddly) between the rings and the parapet.

Key thing is maintaining enthusiasm. But as soon as it's done and painted it can be fitted in place and track laid onto it. Looking forward to the views of something transiting the structure!

Next picture updates probably Thursday. I may have both King piers covered in stone by then.

Jeff

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Terrific job on the viaduct. I hve always belived that the closer you get to the building methods that would have been used on a real viaduct the better the result you are proving it. Mind you I think you don't need to bother with the scaffolding although leaving holes where the scaffolding fitted is a plus. Elsewhere someone was trying to bend preformed plastic stone walling, that is going to be difficult to get right. I like the height of the viaduct too. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1