Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Where's Jeff?

Has anybody see or heard from young Jeff, is he Snowed in, or buried under a mountain of DAS Blocks?

Ha!

You posted just as I looked at the thread....

No snow here, plenty of DAS blocks, though. Over 9,000 on the piers now, and another 4,000 on the rings, liners and spandrels. One of these days I might build something with DAS clay....!!

I've been busy chugging along, Andy. I didn't want to switch people off with daily pics, so I'll show something on Saturday. At least things might look a little different from Monday.

And, you know something? I looked up from the viaduct this afternoon and noticed all the track I put down in October. I'd forgotten all about it!

Thanks for looking in.

Jeff

• Like 10

On 09/01/2021 at 09:06, Physicsman said:

.... It must be 9am in Melbourne and one of the other Melbourne residents that posts on here says it's been very warm - too warm to sleep?

Keep posting, my man!

Jeff

If that was me, I spoke too soon! Melbourne is proving its reputation weather-wise these last 12 months.

"They" say it was hottest year on record to Oct/ Nov then La Nina arrived. Aside from a few 30C+ days it's been relatively cool this summer by our standards and wet. Mean temp Dec 24C, Jan 27C with barely a hint of a hot Northerly wind. Usually by now mid summer everything looks brown and parched, but my garden looks like something out of the Amazon with above average rain each month here since last August.

Still for an ex-pom it makes summer bearable :sungum:

Colin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

If that was me, I spoke too soon! Melbourne is proving its reputation weather-wise these last 12 months.

"They" say it was hottest year on record to Oct/ Nov then La Nina arrived. Aside from a few 30C+ days it's been relatively cool this summer by our standards and wet. Mean temp Dec 24C, Jan 27C with barely a hint of a hot Northerly wind. Usually by now mid summer everything looks brown and parched, but my garden looks like something out of the Amazon with above average rain each month here since last August.

Still for an ex-pom it makes summer bearable :sungum:

Colin

Yes, Colin, it was indeed you I was referring to.

The temperature here at the moment is 2C with a 4C wind-chill, it's raining verging on sleet and there hasn't been a proper clear night to get the telescopes out for over 3 weeks. So, this Pom is very envious of Melbourne, and the southern hemisphere sky!

At least it's comfy once I get the Bunker up to temperature.

Bedtime here - forcing myself to get some sleep when I'd rather carry on reading. Maybe I'll dream of DAS bricks - I haven't managed it yet!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, 

Well how did I miss this thread having followed your previous KLs with huge interest? Perhaps the revised RMWeb format managed to put me off track. Maybe. Anyway, now following another exquisite viaduct build which puts my own crude efforts rightly in a lower division. I had to have a viaduct on my current layout Deneside but inspiration for mine came from the large brick structures on the Durham coast line built by the NER which carry the line over deep denes. 

Fantastic work, please keep the updates coming. 

Best Regards, 

Brian. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Brian D said:

Hi Jeff, 

Well how did I miss this thread having followed your previous KLs with huge interest? Perhaps the revised RMWeb format managed to put me off track. Maybe. Anyway, now following another exquisite viaduct build which puts my own crude efforts rightly in a lower division. I had to have a viaduct on my current layout Deneside but inspiration for mine came from the large brick structures on the Durham coast line built by the NER which carry the line over deep denes. 

Fantastic work, please keep the updates coming. 

Best Regards, 

Brian. 

Hi Brian.

My view on modelling is that you do the best you can and if you're happy with it then that's all that's needed.

I've been very lucky on here to have a number of "gurus" who have continually forced me - in the best possible sense - to raise my game. When Al (aka Schubert on here) referred me to RMweb in 2010, that was it....existing "layout" in the bin and TRY to build something that resembled the real thing.

I managed to save about 5 metres of walling from KL2 and it will certainly be used, somewhere. However, going back to the "best you can" philosophy, I think I can do better for GH. Not sure how, but I'll come up with something!

The NER was a great railway. At one stage, in the early days of the original KL, I seriously thought of having an NER loop as well as the S&C bit. Given the space, and using Kirkby Stephen West and East as justification, I would still consider it.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There'll be quite a few images posted on here, so - because of the Forum posting limit (10Mb, and I don't want to resize pics too small) - they'll go up in a few posts.

First batch.

I've spent the last 3 days finishing off pier 9 and working on the first West face abutment.

General views, including the rear.

Obviously, gaps at the foot of piers etc represent areas that will be "below ground". I certainly wasn't going to spend another hundred hours putting stones on that would never be seen!!

Jeff

IMG_7814rs.jpg

IMG_7815rs.jpg

IMG_7816rs.jpg

IMG_7817rs.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Premium

Here's a panorama of 5 separate images. Unfortunately, I was less than a metre away at the "centre of curvature" and with a wide angle setting the pics haven't quite stitched properly.

This is the almost complete West face.

IMG_7805_stitch_fish.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

About a week ago there was a discussion on this thread about the "chunkiness" of the stone blocks. So here's a set of pics that will show conclusively that the blocks certainly don't stick out obtrusively.

Slight oblique view of pier 3 and straight on view.

Slight oblique view of King pier 5 and (almost) straight on view.

You'll notice that on the straight on views, looking down the sides, there is no noticeable block protrusion at all.

IMG_7811rs.jpg

IMG_7810rs.jpg

IMG_7812rs.jpg

IMG_7813rs.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

It’s looking great Jeff. I’m really looking forward to seeing it with some paint on it. And the piers buried in the ground. With grass and water and the rest. And trains running across it...

But don’t rush. Watching you get there is what it’s all about. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Physicsman said:

And if nobody looks at that lot there'll be no more pics on this thread. :P

Keep 'em coming please - some of us enjoy just lurking and marvelling at the awesomeness of your work!  The way you're talking us through the build is also extremely interesting...

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Neilgue said:

It’s looking great Jeff. I’m really looking forward to seeing it with some paint on it. And the piers buried in the ground. With grass and water and the rest. And trains running across it...

But don’t rush. Watching you get there is what it’s all about. 

Neil, a man with some common sense.

Journey, not destination...

I'll be lost when that viaduct is finished. Until the underbridge, and the occupation bridge, and the valkey, and the gill....

Oooh, looks like lots of fun ahead!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Keep 'em coming please - some of us enjoy just lurking and marvelling at the awesomeness of your work!  The way you're talking us through the build is also extremely interesting...

Irony is, I've not explained quite a number of things - assuming most people would think it too bloomin' obvious to post!

I do put some woffle in. AND, if anything isn't clear and someone asks, then I'll try and explain what I've done.

The "mortaring" is a good example. I spent 2 hours today with my hands coated in "porridge". My brother described the bowl as full of nose bogies. I may show some pics tomorrow - of the mortar I mean, not the bogies!! :angel:

J.

Edited by Physicsman
It LOVES to change put to out!!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Andrew P said:

Excellent pics as always  Jeff. Question for you, have you any idea how much it weighs, or will weigh when completed?

I'm going to make a reasonable guess, Andy, but I'd reckon it'll be between 4 and 5 stone when finished (about 25kg).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

I'm going to make a reasonable guess, Andy, but I'd reckon it'll be between 4 and 5 stone when finished (about 25kg).

To be honest Jeff, I expected a more accurate answer, something along the lines of

X x lengths of Ply,

plus Y x No 40 Screws,

Plus Z no 20 Screws.

Plus XX x Packets of DAS,

and the Volumetric water content absorbed by the said DAS.

:o:swoon:

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Erm... just wow, amazing. The many hours you spend constructing the viaduct are so justified by this incredible outcome. Just need to get it "planted" and trains running over it (he said tongue in cheek). Seriuosly, though, I am really looking forward to see how you contour the scenics around the piers. 

Regards 

Brian 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Erm... just wow, amazing. The many hours you spend constructing the viaduct are so justified by this incredible outcome. Just need to get it "planted" and trains running over it (he said tongue in cheek). Seriuosly, though, I am really looking forward to see how you contour the scenics around the piers. 

Regards 

Brian 

When I built the stream and valley area for KL2 it was entirely a fiction (KL2 thread page 160-something). This time I have a real prototype in front of me.

The scale is roughly 3 times bigger than last time and I'll use Arten Gill's surroundings (West side especially, you'll hardly see the East side) to guide me. That's a good thing, though modelling the falling water steps will be fun. And it gives me opportunities for all my favourite scenic toys: mod roc, flock, static grass, wall, fences, gates, vegetation.

I think most people who follow what I do have realised by now that the railway is a tiny part of the whole thing. The scenics rule. BUT, if it wasn't for the railway there'd be no viaduct....

Jeff

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

To be honest Jeff, I expected a more accurate answer, something along the lines of

X x lengths of Ply,

plus Y x No 40 Screws,

Plus Z no 20 Screws.

Plus XX x Packets of DAS,

and the Volumetric water content absorbed by the said DAS.

:o:swoon:

Andy, enough!

Please don't impose your own rigorous standards on the rest of us :o

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
sign
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Irony is, I've not explained quite a number of things - assuming most people would think it too bloomin' obvious to post!

........... if anything isn't clear and someone asks, then I'll try and explain what I've done.

Jeff,

I probably missed it but are you putting stones on rear face? A lot of work for an area out of view.

Colin

• Funny 2