Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, Peter.

I'll add that one to my collection. I still chuckle at the Ofqual ABBA mnemonic joke you sent a while back!

Off to do more coping in the Bunker now. I'll make sure the slabs are at 1-in-100 as a testament to Ais Gill!

Stay safe.

J.

Edited by Physicsman
Zpellllllllchekkkkkkerrrrrrrr
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Cheers, Peter.

I'll add that one to my collection. I still chuckle at the Ofqual ABBA mnemonic joke you sent a while back!

Off to do more coping in the Bunker now. I'll make sure the slabs are at 1-in-100 as a testament to Aus Gill!

Stay safe.

J.

Not watching the Rugby?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Not watching the Rugby?

Just been in the Bunker for the last 3 hours. Enough for now, though I'll do a bit more later. I decided I'd retreat to dad's as it's warmer there!

Plenty more coping and mortaring done, though - for the first time - my fingers were a bit numb when I finished.

Great hobby, this!

J.

Edited by Physicsman
Zpellllllllchekkkkkkerrrrrrrr
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, Physicsman said:

What?

Where did that come from?! Someone has obviously been watching what I'm doing.

News to me, Steve, thanks for pointing it out.

Jeff

I used the handy “tell a mod” feature to highlight some wonderful modeling.  So it might be me who brought you to the principal’s notice but it’s your modeling that deserves the notice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, peach james said:

I used the handy “tell a mod” feature to highlight some wonderful modeling.  So it might be me who brought you to the principal’s notice but it’s your modeling that deserves the notice.

Cheers James.

I've been in touch with Andy York about the World of Railways reference. It's nice to receive an acknowledgment for work done.

And thanks to you for setting that in motion.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I've been working on the parapet area, with copings and stones.

Work is still ongoing, but here's a collection of pics taken about an hour ago.

Fantastic. Doesn't look like there's too much more stonework to finish it off.

Graeme

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lambiedg said:

I found this on the RailScot site. Taken during work on Ribblehead.

I assume you are similarly attired when “at work”

image.jpeg.58605ff84b73e983490b1423bf68aad5.jpeg

I think Smoking jacket and Pipe are more young Jeff's attire.:laugh:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jacko said:

Fantastic. Doesn't look like there's too much more stonework to finish it off.

Graeme

Graeme, I reckon over 95% of the stonework is done - about 17,000 stones so far.

What's already taking up time, in addition to the remaining parapet, spandrel etc work, is the filling-in of missing bricks, mortaring, rubbing down, DAS inlays still needed into parts of an arch liner...

I'm doing this bit by bit, and it really slows things down.

Putting stones into the piers seemed "quick" by comparison as progress was more obvious. But looking back a month I'm getting there.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

And just imagine how that scene would have looked in 1873, without modern scaffolding and Elf and Safety!

Orange isn't quite my style. Yellow, maybe.....

J.

• Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

And just imagine how that scene would have looked in 1873, without modern scaffolding and Elf and Safety!

Orange isn't quite my style. Yellow, maybe.....

J.

I was just looking to see if there was a record of the number of lives lost building the railway, but the numbers seem mixed up with those who died because of illness, especially smallpox outbreaks.  However much we hate H&S, and I am one of them, the working environment is a much safer place nowadays.

DeadRinger

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DeadRinger said:

I was just looking to see if there was a record of the number of lives lost building the railway, but the numbers seem mixed up with those who died because of illness, especially smallpox outbreaks.  However much we hate H&S, and I am one of them, the working environment is a much safer place nowadays.

DeadRinger

I agree, and even with modern systems I wouldn't fancy working on that scaffold. And I'm not afraid of heights.

My dad is a retired builder and he tells some very worrying tales about working practices before some kind of regulation was imposed.

As long as you don't expect me to kit up before I resume work on my parapets!

Btw, there is a very good full page photo showing Ribblehead, under construction (c. 1874), in the front of Anderson & Fox "Stations & Structures of the S&C". The whole site looks very, very scary.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To me 'elf and safety' is the term I think of when someone is using health and safety as an excuse for not doing something that they do not want to do and stopping something 'sfairs' safe, hence giving health and safety a bad press and the subsequent reticence of some to ignore appropriate health and safety.  I also had H&S training along the line and find that even after years of retirement still look at things that way first.

• Agree 3

On 15/02/2021 at 08:25, lambiedg said:

I have to check the point clip cabinets up at blea moor and ribblehead I have to block the line go over ribblehead viaduct once a Month. 
I have been talking to the Abseiling crew who are working on it. 
they are brave , I don’t like walking over it let alone abseiling working on it 

7D7CACD3-81CC-42EA-9804-597458114581.jpeg

A7B20754-BDF4-4A70-8494-3ED24A2E35E8.jpeg

• Like 10

A few years ago, at the end of a long maintenance blockade, but before the line reopened, they organised walks over Ribblehead viaduct, for a fee.  Having walked alongside and under many times, it was an experience to walk over and look down.  At least the weather was good at the time. I took some photos but can't find them at the moment.

• Like 4