Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Update....

All spandrels now completed.

98% of 2mm stones/top copings in parapet area fitted.

I'll be fitting the remaining "large" stones behind one of the abutment areas over the weekend.

After that, it's a case of a bit more DAS filling near the arch liners and then rubbing down.

Time in the Bunker has decreased in the last week, but I hope I can be ready to start painting by the end of next week.

You've seen all the photo angles many times, so no point in posting up further pics until I manoeuvre the viaduct to facilitate painting.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Will the next photos include a competition to spot the “golden  stone” laid to signify the completion of the construction phase?

First Prize - Nothing but a feeling of smugness

Good idea, David.

But I wouldn't dare place a "final" stone, as I'm sure I'll be adding "(oh look, on photo 2376, there's some) missing bits" for a while to come!!

might include a "hidden" detail to reward the smug bu99er that finds it! :sarcastic:

Jeff

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I actually managed to do a little bit of work this evening, fitting another 40 stones onto the East string course (the bit that sticks out between the parapet and arches).

I'll finish the rest of the South abutment tomorrow and then lots of mortar can be slapped on.

I can't wait to have the viaduct immersed in the hillside scenery. I'll be able to post never-ending pictures of different locos on the viaduct from every which angle to keep you all happy.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Neilgue said:

Always happy Jeff. Looking forward to seeing the ground rise up to envelop the piers. 

Cheers, Neil. 

As soon as the viaduct is painted I'll be ordering-in some 25mm and 50mm insulation board and re-stocking with mod-roc.

So the basic ground contours can "rise up" pretty rapidly, as I'll still have good access to the viaduct for track-laying and ballast purposes.

Progress MUST be being made if I'm starting to think like this!

Jeff

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking fantastic Jeff. Can't wait to see how you are going to paint it.

There are a few bridges in Oregon like the one Adam88 posted last week and I've often wondered how the were built!

With a total disregard to health & safety of course!

Regards Shaun

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Looking fantastic Jeff. Can't wait to see how you are going to paint it.

There are a few bridges in Oregon like the one Adam88 posted last week and I've often wondered how the were built!

With a total disregard to health & safety of course!

Regards Shaun

Hi Shaun.

I must admit that I couldn't believe those photos of the "West coast" constructions. I enjoy watching Fred Dibnah (steeplejack) programmes and always thought he was crackers climbing up chimneys and church spires, freehand on his wooden ladders. But those guys going up a cliff on a rope ladder? Insane!

As usual, I'll devise some technique or other for the painting. It usually comes down to multiple weak washes onto the surface - though that has mostly been plastikard. Having said that, it worked well on the walls, which were made of DAS clay.

So after a cursory rub down of the surface with very fine emery-type paper, it'll be a couple of weak primer washes with very dilute white emulsion, followed by the greys.

I'm being vague on detail at this point, but I'll show what works - and doesn't (!!!) - as matters proceed. Maybe as soon as next week! Ouch.

Best wishes to far-off Oregon, and at least you can breathe more easily for the next 4 years! ;)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Zpellur just LUVS turning onto into into!!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

That is so impressive Jeff.  With the loco it just emphasises the shear size the viaduct.  It is going to look very good when it is situated in the landscape.

Hope you had a topping out ceremony with bottle of Tizer and Lyons fruit pie. :good:

Tizer and Lyons, eh? Can't remember the last time I drank the former....do these brands still exist?

3 minutes ago, lambiedg said:

The loco certainly emphasises the epic scale.

Unfortunately I couldn’t spot the “golden stone”, it must be on the other side!

Brilliant Stuff

David

Unfortunately, David - I forgot the "golden stone", so I'll have to modify an existing one and you can see if you can spot it in future pics. Don't look yet, I'll give fair warning and a clue or two.

Mick will supply Tizer and pies as prizes!

Thanks to all for your rapid comments. I feel a weight off my back - STONES lighter.....ummm, sorry.

Jeff

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Here you go, hot off the memory card - you can see the clock in the background....

One viaduct, complete with its full quota of copings, spandrels, arch rings......one careful owner! NOT for sale!!

I've just done an hour of mortaring on the east side. A couple of hours more tomorrow and then it's tidy up the arches. And then....

Jeff

20210225_190653.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

That looks as though it's going to still be around in decades to come like its inspirational prototype..

Yes, Jonathan. I'm actually looking forward to "feeling" its solidity when the time comes to move it.

I've used 14 x 1kg packs of DAS during the build. With a roughly estimated 30% attrition rate for rubbish stones, off-cuts etc, that equates to around 10kg of clay added to the basic frame. With the added (approx) 3kg of filler built into the piers, it's going to come out at around 25kg overall. 

I suspect that when the base wood rots down in 200 years time (!!), the structure will be self-supporting with all the clay, filler and PVA.

Who knows, it may be part of a future "Sutton Hoo" horde!!

I'd better autograph it in multiple places! :laugh: :yahoo:

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Funny 5