Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

A layer of cork has been fitted onto the road deck. This will be trimmed to size (along the line of the edge of the sleepers) once the track has been added....track due tomorrow or Sunday.

Board and wood supports on the L-frame base below the viaduct have now been fixed in place. The road deck is within 5mm of the correct height - this will be sorted once the structure is fastened in place. Not for a while yet!

Jeff

20210319_144122.jpg

20210319_160042.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Looks good in its final position Jeff, just a shame that you can't get some distance between the far end of the viaduct and the back scene, so that looking through the arches gives some reality before the painted back scene hits.  Still modelling is all compromise isn't it and we can't have everything ... oh but if we could!! :)

Looking forward to seeing the first working over it?  Are you going to have a EM gauge early railways 1840s locomotive for the first move so you have the historic old glass plate negative for the Gill Head Museum?

Rich

Not quite the final position, Rich, but edging ever closer. And I have considered - not "quite" seriously, just using the viaduct in a diorama, with the structure positioned right in the middle of the room. It IS tempting!

Given my limited stock of EM locos, it'll be a class 24 or 25 heading over.

BUT the first loco to "pose" on the viaduct is likely to be one of my collection of 00 gauge Britannias, to put a smile on John Wardle's (Old Gringo) face. :D:D:yahoo:

Jeff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Adrian, thanks for the link.

I hadn't seen those particular films before. The quality for the late 1960s is excellent.

I went through 3 or 4 of them - great to see one of my favourites in Britannia "Oliver Cromwell".

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

4 lengths of track have now been glued to the cork on the viaduct road bed. I'll fit a couple more tomorrow.

I'll put a couple of pics on here to keep the PVA and viaduct fanatics satisfied! :P

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing a Brit on the top. Good choice of loco, also my favourite class of steam locomotives :good_mini:

My stone walling is now colourised. A lot darker grey than your viaduct. Just need to tone it down/weathering added. Static grass next.

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Looking forward to seeing a Brit on the top. Good choice of loco, also my favourite class of steam locomotives :good_mini:

My stone walling is now colourised. A lot darker grey than your viaduct. Just need to tone it down/weathering added. Static grass next.

Steve

Good man. As long as YOU are happy with the colour and the effect, that's all that matters.

Interestingly, my dad, who is 85, paid a surprise visit to the Bunker this afternoon. His first since the very first day of the viaduct build, on November 5th. He's only seen photos of the viaduct since then. "Oh, that looks good, better than the photos", he said. I was quite chuffed.

Jeff

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just started processing 103Gb of imaging data, obtained in a lunar imaging session this evening. This will keep me busy for a good few hours.

If some of you would like to see more images - these should be a lot better than last time as the moon was at a 60 degree altitude, then indicate "yes" and I'll put some up later in the week.

Jeff

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

I'd like to see those Jeff. They'll make up for my lack of progress. I was out for a few of hours last night trying to get to grips with my imaging set up. I've got PHD2 guiding quite well but every time I start APT up it connects to my Canon then disconnects. Once I've connected again and tried to run a test set of exposures it throws out an error message 'Error place camera in M or B mode' then disconnects again. I'm hoping it's something simple like a duff lead as the camera is already in 'B'.  I'm going to have a play on the bench today to see if I can track the issue. 

The viaduct is looking fantastic in-situ BTW :)

Graeme

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Pictures of the moon raising above GH viaduct would be good :D

Bearing in mind that we are looking East, as the viaduct is currently aligned, then a RISING moon is certainly possible.

However, at an angular size of half a degree it would just look like a white spot on the backscene.... "Hey, you missed that bit with your blue paint!..."

Perhaps a bit of artistic licence would be allowed...?I

J.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jacko said:

I'd like to see those Jeff. They'll make up for my lack of progress. I was out for a few of hours last night trying to get to grips with my imaging set up. I've got PHD2 guiding quite well but every time I start APT up it connects to my Canon then disconnects. Once I've connected again and tried to run a test set of exposures it throws out an error message 'Error place camera in M or B mode' then disconnects again. I'm hoping it's something simple like a duff lead as the camera is already in 'B'.  I'm going to have a play on the bench today to see if I can track the issue. 

The viaduct is looking fantastic in-situ BTW :)

Graeme

Morning Graeme.

Good to hear you availed yourself of the rare clear spell. It is SO frustrating that we get a week of settled weather, with a massive high pressure area over the country, and it's predominantly cloudy.

I've only ever used my DSLR in simple manually operated Live View mode for full disc imaging of the moon (back in 2015), so I'm not familiar with your set up. As with all these things, it's always one simple thing that bu99ers everything up. Once sorted you'll be fine - provided the sky ever clears. Reminds me that the blue sky background behind the viaduct is a very optimistic situation - but will look better than grey!

Peter - pics on the way, once processed.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Thanks Jeff.  Bench testing with a genuine canon mini USB cable is working so I guess the unnamed cables I've built into the mount are at fault. 60 this summer and I've been told I can treat myself to a ZWO ASI533MC pro. Can't wait :)

Graeme

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll put a couple of moon photos on here tomorrow.

In the meantime, pics of the track on the viaduct....

Just tested - the class 24 went from end to end, both tracks, at speed setting 1/128, so all seems ok.

I've just ordered some insulation board - due next week - so I can start building up the landscape.

Jeff

20210323_150453rs.jpg

20210323_150543rs.jpg

20210323_150554rs.jpg

20210323_150610rs.jpg

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, peach james said:

Cough's and Sneezles Spread Diseseal's !

Lovely work as usual...though the choice of loco is a bit "sus" as the young lad would say !  

1 hour ago, Ramrig said:

What happened to the Britannia? :O

I suppose it could have been worse.........

Disappointed of Derby.

Simple answer to both comments....

Remember, this is EM gauge, not 00, so as far as running a loco for a test I'm down to about 4 diesels.

The Britannias are stored in the loft, and a couple will be brought down to "pose" when I next go up there. If it had been 00 track, for me it would have been a toss-up between a Brit or a Jubilee for first-time run across.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Photos and computers do strange things, in that last photo the viaduct appears a nice shade of light blue!

Yes, Jonathan. The colour of the viaduct changes dramatically with the angle of viewing. At times, looking at some of the photos, you'd think it hadn't been painted at all. Sat in front of the structure, to the naked eye, it appears a nice grey with subtleties of stone colour and pointing.

That blue colour is quite disgusting - I mentioned it further up the page.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Yes, Jonathan. The colour of the viaduct changes dramatically with the angle of viewing. At times, looking at some of the photos, you'd think it hadn't been painted at all. Sat in front of the structure, to the naked eye, it appears a nice grey with subtleties of stone colour and pointing.

That blue colour is quite disgusting - I mentioned it further up the page.

Jeff

I read that 4th sentence as - you sat in front of the structure naked!! :nono:

• Funny 3

As it changes colour depending on angle, then I think you probably have it just about perfect.

The diesel comment was because you'd said that you were going to plonk a Brit on there for the first photos- I knew that you only have the diesel's in EM, for running.  My choice would be 70038 (Robin Hood), even though that's a Eastern engine.   Mostly because my 3.5" Brit is Robin Hood, as the builder was from Nottingham.  It won't fit, so no, it's not going on Gill Head !  (and it weighs 126 lb in its shipping box ).   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I read that 4th sentence as - you sat in front of the structure naked!! :nono:

Have you been spying on me? Strange things DO happen in the Bunker.....but not quite THAT strange!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, peach james said:

As it changes colour depending on angle, then I think you probably have it just about perfect.

The diesel comment was because you'd said that you were going to plonk a Brit on there for the first photos- I knew that you only have the diesel's in EM, for running.  My choice would be 70038 (Robin Hood), even though that's a Eastern engine.   Mostly because my 3.5" Brit is Robin Hood, as the builder was from Nottingham.  It won't fit, so no, it's not going on Gill Head !  (and it weighs 126 lb in its shipping box ).   

There speaketh a Physicist....

As for the Brits, I have 3 - aside from "Venus", which might be astronomically appropriate - or even clothing-deprived-relevant, given Jonathan's comment, I can't remember the names of the other 2. One might be John of Gaunt.

Jeff

• Like 1