Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PeterBB said:

Scale 12" to the Foot!

I think that even me and Bodge, working at full tilt, might struggle with that one, Peter.

Well, give us 6 months!

Jeff

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Am I posting too many "similar" pics on here? Please let me know if that IS the case.

I've just slopped about 4kg of plaster filler onto the mod-roc at the north end. It DOES make a difference, so here's a couple more pics to show how it looks....

Jeff

20210330_191214.jpg

20210330_191225.jpg

No. Keep them coming. It’s great to see your rapid progress :good_mini:

Heres a quick shot if that’s ok of my walling with added colour. The gate is just propped in the gap for effect

8478A93D-377E-4CEF-A706-13533FFC1075.jpeg.4fe2b8751df01a599c89ad660768028f.jpeg

Edited by Ramrig
Photo added
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ramrig said:

No. Keep them coming. It’s great to see your rapid progress :good_mini:

Heres a quick shot if that’s ok of my walling with added colour. The gate is just propped in the gap for effect

8478A93D-377E-4CEF-A706-13533FFC1075.jpeg.4fe2b8751df01a599c89ad660768028f.jpeg

Steve, you've done a nice job with that, especially the variety of and irregularity of the stones. The stile has a lot of character, too - based on a Derbyshire prototype? 

Do I recognise some Woodland Scenics Green and Earth blend scatter in there?

Of course, this reminds me that I'll (relatively) soon have to put some walling onto the viaduct scene. Umm....

Please post your progress on here, as you see fit. And to anybody who hasn't tried building stone walls from DAS - it ain't easy!

Jeff

• Like 3

Keep the pics coming Jeff, although I was told yesterday that I post to many pics on my thread, so I say (this bit got edited out so here it is again, B O L L O C K S), I'll continue to post what I want, and YOU must do the same. 

If people don't like it, they do have an option, like the on / off button for the TV.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Steve, you've done a nice job with that, especially the variety of and irregularity of the stones. The stile has a lot of character, too - based on a Derbyshire prototype? 

Do I recognise some Woodland Scenics Green and Earth blend scatter in there?

Of course, this reminds me that I'll (relatively) soon have to put some walling onto the viaduct scene. Umm....

Please post your progress on here, as you see fit. And to anybody who hasn't tried building stone walls from DAS - it ain't easy!

Jeff

Well spotted Jeff. Yes woodland scenic scatter and ballast used. Static grass and foliage next.

That should keep me quiet over Easter. I really must start a thread on this project.

Steve

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Keep the pics coming Jeff, although I was told yesterday that I post to many pics on my thread, so I say (this bit got edited out so here it is again, B O L L O C K S), I'll continue to post what I want, and YOU must do the same. 

If people don't like it, they do have an option, like the on / off button for the TV.

I'm going to have a look and see who posted that comment to you.

It's easy to be so wrapped up in your own project and not realise that the pics are very similar - hence my comment. But, like you, should anyone CHOOSE to post lots of pics, nobody is forced to look at them. The only issue would be if server space needed us to cut down, but I doubt that will happen these days.

Thanks to you and Steve for your comments. I do ask every so often and appreciate the feedback.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

Well spotted Jeff. Yes woodland scenic scatter and ballast used. Static grass and foliage next.

That should keep me quiet over Easter. I really must start a thread on this project.

Steve

Yes, you really must start a thread on this project.

Didn't you just say that?

Stick it in the S&C section - nobody will mind!

J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Keep them coming.  On walls, you have spent 90 days plus on the viaduct but on KL2 you must have spent almost that on making walls.  Having said that they were magnificent and, as you know, I copied some of your pictures for future inspiration ... have DAS but its being used elsewhere at present.,

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Keep them coming.  On walls, you have spent 90 days plus on the viaduct but on KL2 you must have spent almost that on making walls.  Having said that they were magnificent and, as you know, I copied some of your pictures for future inspiration ... have DAS but its being used elsewhere at present.,

Thanks for the feedback, Peter. Your comments, along with those of Bodge and Steve have convinced me to keep posting the pics - so there's another 5 below.

As for the walls, I need to have a bit of a re-think about how I build them. They may end up as before, but always good to think of new ways to do something!

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, peach james said:

I think DAS would love that :)

For promotional purposes I'd suggest that DAS provide all the materials required.

Then again, a 12" to the foot model of Arten Gill would probably use the equivalent of the UK's entire DAS imports for a year!

J.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Tony (Mulgabill), here's a better response to your question in the "Realistic Modelling" thread....

As you pointed out, there's that lovely ramshackle shepherd's hut on the north-eastern side of the viaduct, at the foot of the Great Knoutberry Hill fell (see pic number 1). I didn't think I'd have the space to model that, but I have - to the rear of the curve leading off the viaduct (pic 2) - I can start a small rise and sit a structure on there.

Pic 3 shows a small "hut" I made for the top of the Fell on the original Kirkby Luneside in 2013. This was based on something I spotted during a walk in Patterdale  (pic 4) - but my model was a bit more complete than the ramshackle prototype.

The KL1 model was made by covering a wooden shell with DAS, and scribing it. It was ok at the time, but if I include one in this layout I'll build a new one from scratch.

Good luck with your own walling!

Jeff

33878145438_6ac2da596f_b.jpg

IMG_7935rs.JPG

IMG_7931rs.JPG

100_4033.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Donington Road said:

That picture is giving me vertigo. :scared:

Fantastic view Jeff.

Here you are, Mick, a couple more views to enhance your vertigo....:angry:

IMG_7938rs.JPG

IMG_7939rs.JPG

• Like 10
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Won't it need to rise quite a way above Track Level Jeff?

Indeed it will, Andy.

Off the viaduct and into a long cutting, so lots more landscape to build.

22 rolls of mod roc and 16kg of filler (about 60 pounds, including water) on the valley this week, with plenty more on either side. I guess I'm like the kid in the sandpit, enjoying every minute of it!

The contour diagram on the previous page gives an idea of what's to come.

Jeff

Edit: The contour plan on the previous page only shows the viaduct area. I'll dig out the relevant plan on my laptop later and post it on here.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

As ever Jeff, looking superb!  That last photo especially shows the work you've done and how the landscape is coming together.  Also thanks for all the hints you've given us along the way with the mod roc, its been really useful for me.  Hope to show some of my work on my thread sometime in the next couple of weeks (famous last words!)

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, lankyandy said:

It looks really impressive. What’s  even more amazing is the blue carpet isn’t covered in white spots

The carpet tiles I've put down, as with the previous layout, are remarkably durable. What you can't see is the occasional blob of evo-stik or a solder burn! Plaster, wood bits, DAS etc seems to have no effect whatever.

And thanks for the "impressive" bit! :good:

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of contour diagrams, which I think were drawn last September - before ANY kind of construction commenced.

As always with layouts, the best of plans change. In this case, the position of the viaduct (as fitted) is further to the right, so the curve through the cutting on the attached pics was more straightforward than the presently-concocted reverse curve. However, the cutting remains and is broadly based on the prototype. The third pic shows the line to the south of the viaduct, with locos traversing a cutting made predominantly of the spoil heaps generated when the viaduct was built in the 1870s.

Jeff

IMG_7664rs.JPG

IMG_7665rs.JPG

3020789242_034d1a4e14_z.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1