Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Great work as usual Jeff. The posting of lots of pictures can be very helpful to others. When just looking they may seem similar but to someone working on there own projects and seeking help it becomes more of a step by step guide.

There was also some comments a while back about building and 0 gauge one. Can I off this not my work itis the work of Alan Brackenborough

post-8525-0-83963000-1464538894_thumb.jpgpost-8525-0-00683800-1491951501_thumb.jpg

The stone work doesn't match yours. But it does need to be weather proof. It was originally built for single track and later widened to take double track.

Don

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

That's a really nice bit of work, and it'd be a pleasure to "watch the trains go by" just sitting in that lovely garden.

I think the weather "darn sarth" might be a bit more conducive to an outdoor layout than wet and windy south Cumbria!

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've started work on the Gill area - pic attached.

I'll post some more pics, probably tomorrow, when my latest batch of plaster rocks are ready, chopped up and fitted into place.

I'll also be starting on the landscape to the north east of the viaduct - where the derelict shepherd's hut will go. Any excuse to build hills and play with mod roc just has to be taken!

Jeff

IMG_7945 cur.JPG

Edited by Physicsman
Contrast correction to image
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I've attached 3 pics showing the basic structure of the Gill.

The problem is, at the moment, that the rocks, Gill floor and surrounding landscape are all plaster white, so there's not a lot of contrast.

Jeff

IMG_7951rs cur.JPG

IMG_7949rs cur rot.JPG

IMG_7958rs cur rot.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Thats looking pretty good there Jeff.

Does the bit that passes under the viaduct itself need to be a tad lower? It looks to be at the same level as the surrounding land...

Andy G

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Thats looking pretty good there Jeff.

Does the bit that passes under the viaduct itself need to be a tad lower? It looks to be at the same level as the surrounding land...

Andy G

Hi Andy.

The land on the inside of the piers through which the Gill runs will be lifted by about one cm. The bottom of the Gill - at the moment it just has a sheet of mod roc on it - will be level with the lip of the front rock face.

Passing through the piers, the land needs to rise by a couple of cm so I can give the impression of a fall in the stream.

All of these things will be done, I just haven't got round to doing them yet! :)

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here's a batch of pretty uninspiring pics, showing "run of the mill" tasks that get hidden beneath plaster and pretty scenic stuff at a later date.

The first pic is a reminder that 12mm ply fascias will be fitted - eventually - as with KL2. The one across the valley, shown here in the "Picasso Jeff style" will probably go on at the end of next week....when I've bought the ply! I mention this because the current front view of the valley will be a lot tidier once I've got a fascia to work up against.

I made a number of logistical mistakes with KL2 - two of the main ones were having to ballast AFTER the hillsides were in place (making it bl**dy awkward to reach some places) and THEN deciding to fit point rodding AFTER ballasting (which meant hacking through concrete-solid ballast to fit the wires etc). This time the rodding will go in early AND the awkward hillsides forming parts of cuttings (that block access to the track) will be built on 6mm ply bases and so be removable for ballasting. Final plaster work linking the different hill sections can be done after ballasting, but the bases can be temporarily sat in place to allow the "lay of the land" to be judged. So what you see here is the first couple of bases, in their crude, non-plastered form.

Pics 2,3 and 4 show a couple of "outline hill-mounds" at the north end of the viaduct. Pic 3 is a lovely yellowy colour due to the nearby LED spotlight.

Pics 5 and 6 show views along the viaduct, looking south and north, respectively.

I'm just about to start the hill-mound that goes to the side of the reverse curve at the south of the viaduct. Pics when available.

As I said, this kind of thing isn't pretty but it may be of interest.

Jeff

IMG_7928 fascia rs.jpg

20210405_132924 rs.jpg

20210405_151239 rs.jpg

20210405_144819rs.jpg

IMG_7961rs.JPG

IMG_7966rs.JPG

Edited by Physicsman
Buzzy BEE to BE!
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Really coming on well Jeff. I presume there is no point rodding to go across the viaduct ( maybe a signal wire but I assume you are not modelling those. It does look a fair stretch to that curve coming off the LHS of the viaduct not that easy just ballasting at full stretch.

Don

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Donw said:

Really coming on well Jeff. I presume there is no point rodding to go across the viaduct ( maybe a signal wire but I assume you are not modelling those. It does look a fair stretch to that curve coming off the LHS of the viaduct not that easy just ballasting at full stretch.

Don

Yes, Don. Quite a reach, especially as the cutting stands 8 inches high - and I'm not especially tall (understatement!!) I had a similar situation on KL2 and regretted my lack of forethought. I can get into the corner, but not a lot of room for manoeuvre if ballasting!

That's experience for you, I suppose.

Oh, btw, definitely no rodding on the viaduct.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some further mundane photos, for which I apologise. One of these days I'll be able to entertain you with copious shots of locos posing on the viaduct, multiple angles, in front of a beautiful blue sky - as befits Dentdale (!!!!!)

In the meantime, more bread and butter modelling, not very artistic and the images are self-explanatory.

Have a look at Mike's Dent thread for his latest video if you need some proper entertainment!

Jeff

Btw, in case it ISN'T obvious, given the extensive remarks in the post a little way up this page, the basic cutting is built on top of 6mm ply that is currently removable from the baseboard area - in this case, the east side of the reverse curve to the south of the viaduct.

This structure will eventually be linked to the rising east side of the valley.

20210405_194728.jpg

20210405_194733.jpg

20210405_194804.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Sorry, Jeff but nothing about this build is either “ run of the mill” or “mundane”

The ground works are really coming on and a coat of s*** brown improves the look no end.

David

Thanks David, I appreciate the sentiment.

I REALLY enjoy the "run of the mill" jobs that help to build the landscape. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't post pics of some of the things I do. However, some people find them useful, so fair enough.

Agree with you about painting the plaster with a coat of excrement brown. It does make a big difference and when I can be bothered to get down to B&Q I'll sort something. In the meantime I'll continue to wear my snow glasses!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you can find a matt earth rather than a deep brown I think it looks more natural the ground isn't usually so dark. Now if you are digging in the leaf mold under trees that will be darker.

Don

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A collection of plaster-covered mounds.

Pic 1: 2 mounds in position on the "lift-out" section. These will be joined together at some stage. Why are there 2? Because I didn't cut the 6mm base long enough....simples.

Pic 2: Same as on the previous page of this thread, looking south. My mounds approximate to the left hand side of the cutting. Scale height of the model is around 45 feet above track level.

Pic 3: The mounds with a (kind of) dotted line showing where the walls will go (see pic 2).

Pic 4: Plaster on the mound at the north end - view along the viaduct.

All a bit basic at the moment, but I'm making progress!

Jeff

20210406_193924.jpg

3020789242_034d1a4e14_z.jpg

20210406_194612.jpg

20210406_194306.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Oh my word...

Also good, Jeff, to see that the scenery doesn't go too close to the tracks. All too often on a model one sees there's no room for a proper ballast shoulder and cess. 

Which word was that, Peter? :P

I reckon it may have been you, in the dim and distant epoch of Kirkby Luneside 1, who first drew my attention to the space needed to the side of the track. Since then I've always tried to allow 10' (2.5cm) minimum for shoulder and cess.

And if you look at the photo of the prototype in my previous post, it's about 1.5 track widths, so roughly in agreement.

I hope you are enjoying your hols and not stressing too much at school!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

There must be some kind of time warp going on here!

Picture 2, which shows the finished model, is out of sequence!

I do like the back scene it’s nicely muted tones make it seem far away.

D

If I could model the scene and have it look like that photo I'd be well chuffed.

Aside from the Sprinter in that horrible livery!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've built a couple more "hill formers". Here are 3 pics of the one in the north cutting, adjacent to the one I built a couple of days ago. Just sat there, mod roc drying, not fixed in place - as explained previously.

20210407_142719.jpg

20210407_142724.jpg

20210407_143224.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Slightly different views of the viaduct, taken from the same corner as the previous post.

Apologies if the scissors spoil the view!

Jeff

IMG_7978rs.JPG

IMG_7980rs.JPG

20210407_142741.jpg

Every good Gill should have a pair of Scissors, even Chatsworth had a large pair in the gardens at one time :yes:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Had never really thought about making large scenic portions on individual 6mm bases but that has given me some thought.  On another aspect there is a parallel set of dotted lines running from the cess to the top of the hill ... ?