Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ramrig said:

Like that last image. Very evocative, a lonely wagon, lit by a full moon in the background :D

Brilliantly-crafted photographic composition, of course.....my ar5e!!!

Well spotted, Steve. I think you pay more attention to this layout than I do!

:lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks.

I haven't forgotten about the moon pics, I simply haven't had time to complete the processing and get chance to stick some on here. In the next day or so it'll happen.

A couple of pics and to the casual glance it looks the same as yesterday. More DAS edging and the cutting has had more plaster on the top, extended towards the viaduct. Anyway, make what you will of them! :P

Jeff

PS. I'll be starting on the cess tomorrow. PVA glue, chinchilla sand, and lots of grime. Then I can ballast the viaduct etc - about 20 feet of double track, which I (insanely) enjoy doing.

PPS. Steve - it'll soon be time for a brown base coat then some WALLING can commence. AND I included a full moon for you....

20210420_185444.jpg

20210420_185511.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Looks to me as though the moon has already risen in that first photo!

Yes, and the behaviour of the moon is quite extraordinary....

An object is always at its highest when on the meridian, due south, from the northern hemisphere. The moon in that pic is about due south and hardly risen. AND, on yesterday's pic it was due north. Oh well, it is only a MODEL layout where Rule 1 applies and the universe can behave how it likes!

J.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Silly question why does the moon look huge when on the horizon?

I always understood that you are viewing the moon through more of the atmosphere and that it magnifies the moon.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Silly question why does the moon look huge when on the horizon?

John, it isn't a silly question at all and nobody has the definitive answer.

If the moon is measured when near the horizon and then when it has risen well up, it is EXACTLY the same angular size. So the difference is entirely due to the brain's psychology.

The reckoning is that when we look towards the horizon we see the moon against a familiar BACKGROUND, eg. hills, buildings. So we interpret it as being closer, hence looking bigger, than when viewed higher up against a background of "empty" sky.

Jeff

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, jacko said:

Just been watching 'Our Yorkshire Farm' on channel 5. Filmed in the far north of the Dales, the scenery always brings this layout (and KL1 and 2) to mind. 

I'll take that as a compliment. Maybe the KL layouts, especially the last one, had some decent scenery on them!

J.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Physicsman said:

John, it isn't a silly question at all and nobody has the definitive answer.

If the moon is measured when near the horizon and then when it has risen well up, it is EXACTLY the same angular size. So the difference is entirely due to the brain's psychology.

The reckoning is that when we look towards the horizon we see the moon against a familiar BACKGROUND, eg. hills, buildings. So we interpret it as being closer, hence looking bigger, than when viewed higher up against a background of "empty" sky.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff 

It's the same with wind turbines.... to me the most notable "giant" is as you approach Reading on the M4 heading east

• RMweb Premium

I've added in the cess area to the sides of the track. This consists of a layer of chinchilla (very fine, grains maybe 0.3mm or 1" to scale) sand onto PVA, allowed to dry and then sprayed with Railmatch sleeper grime.

It's only an hour since griming was done, so the pics show glints from some areas of still-wet paint. 

The third pic is indicative. The right-hand cutting side is merely sat in place and will need more work once finally fitted into position.

Jeff

20210422_142845cr rs.jpg

20210422_142951 cr rs.jpg

20210422_143202.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Word change
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Coming along nicely, Jeff. Are both tracks now all the way round?

Yes, Jonathan. All complete and I really ought to clean the rail tops and run something round before I start ballasting. I know the grimed section is electrically ok, so I will probably just get stuck in!

Maybe start tomorrow using the slow (but to me, preferable) "Captain Kernow method".

2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Loving the track winding through the landscape feel of this. It’ll look spectacular with some trains running through it!

Jay

I hope it'll look good. As you may have gathered by now, it's the scenery/lay of the land that is most important to me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I don't know what the Captain Kernow method is, but I always use a piece of wood for the Rail tops, it leaves NO residue etc.

Looking good BTW Jeff.

Hi Andy.

The Captain Kernow method - named by someone a few years back, after the good captain on RMweb - is a method of ballasting that seems to be VERY tedious and ten times slower than the one you see in all the books and mags. Basically, a fine brush is used to paint PVA glue in between the sleepers and the ballast then applied, allowed to set in place and excess hoovered off. It IS slow, but very precise.

I know 90% of modellers would say "sod that" and put the ballast in place then add glue. Fine, each to their own method.

I like the piece of wood idea for cleaning the tops. Hadn't thought of that and it's easier on the fingers. Will give it a try tomorrow when the stench has cleared in the Bunker and I can actually breathe in there!!

J.

Edited by Physicsman
Finish typing the post!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Andy.

The Captain Kernow method - named by someone a few years back, after the good captain on RMweb - is a method of ballasting that seems to be VERY tedious and ten times slower than the one you see in all the books and mags. Basically, a fine brush is used to paint PVA glue in between the sleepers and the ballast then applied, allowed to set in place and excess hoovered off. It IS slow, but very precise.

I know 90% of modellers would say "sod that" and our the ballast in place then add glue. Fine, each to their own method.

I like the piece of wood idea for cleaning the tops. Hadn't thought of that and it's easier on the fingers. Will giv

YES the words Bow Locks to that comes to mind.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

YES the words Bow Locks to that comes to mind.

Well, you already know I'm insane and this is just further proof that I need that padded cell!

Bow Locks - do they have them on the canals in AmpSher?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's each to their own regarding ballasting. In the main I used the glue - lay track - ballast - hoover method as used by Larry Goddard amongst others, but it only works for thin sleepered track and one length at a time with the method Jeff uses at the joins and on points. I've never had any success with the traditional lay track - pour over ballast - drip glue all over the place - hoover off method.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

A quick electrical test before any ballast goes down....

The track bus wires haven't yet been fitted from the North (clock) end of the viaduct to the far end of the room, where the reverse curve ends. There are about 7 pairs of dropper wires hanging down on each line, waiting to be attached to the bus. So the system might struggle.

Nope, my little diesel runs flawlessly, even at speed step 1 of 128, from end to end. Very encouraging. Must get that track bus fitted though, if only to tidy up things.

Ballasting commences tomorrow.

And the moon pics will appear eventually. I'm swimming in over 300Gb of data from this week, with maybe more to come tomorrow.

Jeff

• Like 5