Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neilgue said:

Wow, what a difference a lick of paint makes. The land of chocolate!

An appropriate comment Neil, as the paint is a (no longer available) Matt emulsion called "Choc Chip"

• Funny 4

9 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

An appropriate comment Neil, as the paint is a (no longer available) Matt emulsion called "Choc Chip"

What a transformation, really great. I also paint my scenic plaster land form brown but others I know paint their's green - please discuss fellow followers :-) 

• Funny 1

9 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

What a transformation, really great. I also paint my scenic plaster land form brown but others I know paint their's green - please discuss fellow followers :-)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Regards Brian. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Regards Brian. 

I wonder if you were trying to make a point, Brian - that last post came through 3 times.

Funny thing about a base coat onto plaster. In my "early days" of modelling I worried and worried about getting the right colour. Then I realised that it didn't really matter as over 95% of it was subsequently covered in base flock, static grasses, rocks and vegetation.

Jeff

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Brian D said:

Regards Brian. 

In my limited experience brown definitely works better. Any light from residual areas offsets rather than reinforces the green, that is unless you're modelling an Irish or NZ location!

First time round I used green and quickly scraped it off and redid the job with an earthy brown mix.

Don't ask the shade as I had some old pots of exterior house paint and blended a rather reddish brown with something more Mission brown in shade, trying not to overly mix them to get some variation. Neat thing with using the mica filled exterior paints which they sell here is they're acrylic, very thick stuff indeed. Must be the climate? (Melbourne, VIC)

works particularly well for upland areas as per in my Quantocks setting on here.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Physicsman said:

That's cos I ate it all.:dancer:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

That's cos I ate it all.:dancer:

The previous layout used a B&Q paint called "Chocolate Torte", an effective brown background that looked good in landslide areas. No longer available...

Andy, you have a lot to answer for!

Jeff

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I wonder if you were trying to make a point, Brian - that last post came through 3 times.

Jeff

Hmmm, very strange.  Certainly didn't post it three times.   I did send it from my Android phone though, not from the usual Windows laptop or Chromebook.  I still don't fully understand why different "devices" behave differently.  No axe to grind about the land form colour, just curious.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Physicsman said:

That's ok, Brian. I was just amused that someone loved my thread so much they sent a message 3 times....

Brown rules!

Jeff

Recovering from a bowel operation, I wish it didn't. Sorry too much information.:nono:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, John Besley said:

Saltley Firing Days, has a wonderful account of trips on the footplate over the Settle and Carlise including one in a thunderstorm on a Black 5 I think it was 

....And that was when the weather on the S&C was good....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lambiedg said:

So we are going green then?

I’m looking forward to seeing that, Jeff

Evening David.

What I'm about to put on is just a base coat to cover the brown paint and make things look a little more natural. A lot of the flock will end up being covered with static grass, though inclined cuttings tend to retain a greater amount of bare earth than will be the case in the valley.

Have a look at the transformation that took place on Kirkby Luneside on August 22, 2016 - page 116 of the thread. I'll post a link when I swap from my tablet to my laptop.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94282-kirkby-luneside/page/116/

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Adding link
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Tied-in with the pics in my post, above, here are 3 pics of the prototype showing the cutting angle and vegetation levels that prevail on the south side of Arten Gill viaduct.

I won't be producing anything quite so luxuriant. Must be all that sheep poo!!

Jeff

20210501_200537 cr rs.jpg

6112_1297201600 crop.jpg

3020789242_034d1a4e14_z crop.jpg

IMG_9752_48151_1Z22_ArtenGill crop.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

I wish you'd stop mentioning brown and poo!!!

Just a passing phase - there'll be less of it when some turf is laid.

Makes a change from pages of grey!

I hope you are recovering well.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

The size of the spoil tips intrigue me.  They look larger than the size of the cutting.  But then as any one who has dug a large hole knows the dirt that comes out takes up more room than the size of the hole.

DeadRinger.