Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Tied-in with the pics in my post, above, here are 3 pics of the prototype showing the cutting angle and vegetation levels that prevail on the south side of Arten Gill viaduct.

I won't be producing anything quite so luxuriant. Must be all that sheep poo!!

Jeff

20210501_200537 cr rs.jpg

6112_1297201600 crop.jpg

3020789242_034d1a4e14_z crop.jpg

IMG_9752_48151_1Z22_ArtenGill crop.jpg

Jeff,

The contrast between the land either side of the railway boundary fence is fascinating, especially noticeable in the second shot.  Something you rarely see modeled, will you be replicating it?

Steve

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Jeff,

The contrast between the land either side of the railway boundary fence is fascinating, especially noticeable in the second shot.  Something you rarely see modeled, will you be replicating it?

Steve

I was discussing just that topic with my brother about a fortnight ago, in the context of those "do-gooders" who think that sheep should not be allowed to roam the fells. Do they not realise that much of the fell area is an artificial landscape kept "cropped" by our sheepy friends?

The contrast across the boundary fence/wall in that second pic certainly emphasises the point.

As for modelling it, the simple answer is YES, in a simplistic way. I'll probably "grow" 6mm static grass and low bushes on the railway side of the wall and keep the right side down to 2-3mm grass. I'll also try and include a couple of "humps" in the landscape to give a semblance of the spoil heaps dumped there, but of course I'm limited by space constraints.

Images of the prototype provide so MANY ideas for the modeller. Maybe too many, but at least we can use them to increase realism to a degree!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lambiedg said:

Even your preliminary flocking (technical term) makes such a difference.

As you say snow covered winter scene to spring in days!

D

I've used up all my Woodland Scenics Earth blend stock - all of one bag - in working on the valley this morning. Not bad, given the coverage, though by hoovering-up about 60% is reclaimed.

But aside from this base flock covering little more flock is needed, as it's on to the base 2mm static grass coating next.

So, David, further spring growth will be delayed - at least for a few weeks (I need to re-stock!)

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jeff,

Now I'm back in the 'doing something' mode rather than running something I thought I would pop over to Gill Head and see your progress. Well, as Andy Peter's would have said for some weeks "where's the grass" well it's now adorning that fantastic fell side, you certainly have a knack of producing a fabulous looking  landscape and I love that reverse curve. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

The last batch of pics have been nagging at me as the colours just didn't seen right - at all. I always put a mix of blended fine turf onto the plaster surface and try to make sure it's not overly green. But the recent pics from my smartphone don't match what I see - so here's another batch, just taken with a DSLR. Much closer to what I see in the Bunker light.

You may be able to discern a bit of darkening in the "4 foot" between the rails, but it'll take a few more dilute washes of stone grey until it gets to where I want it to be.

Jeff

IMG_8004rs.JPG

IMG_8008rs.JPG

IMG_8010rs.JPG

IMG_8011rs.JPG

IMG_8012rs.JPG

IMG_8015rs.JPG

Can't see any of those pics Jeff, could be me, but might explain

any lack of response.

TONY

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 67A said:

Hi Jeff,

Now I'm back in the 'doing something' mode rather than running something I thought I would pop over to Gill Head and see your progress. Well, as Andy Peter's would have said for some weeks "where's the grass" well it's now adorning that fantastic fell side, you certainly have a knack of producing a fabulous looking  landscape and I love that reverse curve. Keep up the good work.

Evening Mike.

That was an excellent batch of photos you posted a couple of days back. Like you, I want to be building layouts rather than running anything, but I do understand when people see it the other way round.

On KL2, I built the Fell ("Jabba the Hutt", as you called it) and left it for about a year before it was painted and finally received some ground cover. The flock makes it all appear more presentable, but the fun starts with the static grass - I've just ordered a batch of the stuff....

Hope your knee has recovered and you're able to enjoy your time in the Den. And your idea to scrap the fiddle yard to put in a servicing plant - very good.

Jeff

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Can't see any of those pics Jeff, could be me, but might explain

any lack of response.

TONY

Sorry, Tony - my comment may have not been as clear as it should have been. I was referring to the batch I posted on Sunday, at the foot of page 38.

I'll edit my last post to make this clear.

J.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was just looking back at the last Kirkby Luneside thread, with respect to ballasting and what I did on the last layout. 

Here are 3 pics of locos on the S&C during the days when ballast, especially shoulders, was immaculate.

Then a couple of pics of the level of "muckiness" I want on the line.

These pics were copied direct from the KL2 thread, so are very compressed.

Then a couple of views along the line in the present layout. When the required colour has been achieved the track will be cleaned up a bit and stray bits of ballast - which come loose when dilute acrylic is applied - will be removed.

Jeff

post-13778-0-01082000-1489674838.jpg

post-13778-0-07405000-1489695449_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-28494100-1489695529_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-74824200-1490300143_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-15735600-1490300368_thumb.jpg

IMG_8018 cr rs.JPG

IMG_8021 cr rs.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Hah! beat me to it. I was just about to ask if there were plans to 'treat' the ballast.  The grassed area looks superb.

Graeme 

Cheers Graeme. The scene looks a bit more cheerful and is easier on the eye when staring at it in the Bunker. It should improve as additional features are added - paths, walls, static grass, a few bushes etc.

I'm just heading out to give the ballast its next dose of cr@p....

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

“Proper” camera sots are much more convincing, superb.

Did I spy some dabbling in backscenes as well?

D

Had me fooled for a moment until I realised the photo with the backscene was from his old layout.

Keep up the good work, Jeff but fewer mentions of cr@p please (although things are improving.)

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jeff,

On Dent, I soaked the new granite ballast in a blend of cold tea and coffee then allowed it to dry, or in some cases dried it near the log burner when I was in a hurry! I thought it may run when the PVA was applied but no it seemed to retain the tone well. Just an idea mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, 67A said:

Hi Jeff,

On Dent, I soaked the new granite ballast in a blend of cold tea and coffee then allowed it to dry, or in some cases dried it near the log burner when I was in a hurry! I thought it may run when the PVA was applied but no it seemed to retain the tone well. Just an idea mate.

Unfortunately, Mike, as you well know - I like to do things the long way, sometimes making work for myself. I remember you offering me the loan of your concrete mixer when I was hand-mixing concrete by the multiple tons.

I've made myself a mix of dilute grey acrylic and I'm brushing it onto the line with about 3 hours in between applications. Slowly, things are darkening (6 washes on a 12 foot length of double track, so far).

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, lambiedg said:

“Proper” camera sots are much more convincing, superb.

Did I spy some dabbling in backscenes as well?

D

David, I assume you mean the DSLR photos - or was it the steam pics?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, lambiedg said:

I was meaning the DSLR.

I must confess to not being a steam buff, despite my age.

It's ok David, you are - of course - 21, like the rest of us!

Anyway, here's a DSLR shot along the viaduct which, just about, shows some darkening in the 4 foot after 6 washes. Maybe by Friday it'll be the way I want it.

Jeff

IMG_8030 Gcur cr.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

24 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

It's ok David, you are - of course - 21, like the rest of us!

Jeff,  I doth protest !  Age of inner child is stuck firmly at 7.  Just old enough under the old rules to play run a small steam plant, and plug things into the wall :jester::jester:.  How else would I have built the new roller coaster, and forgot to connect the track, creating a slight problem of a doom plunge?  It's been fixed, but I haven't the time to make it work yet...and may need revising to work as per Ffestiniog from the top of the hill to the bottom...

Currently working, Currently at work, on RMWeb,

James

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

James, nothing you do surprises me. No doubt Ffestiniog,  Canadian-style, is built from Lego....

I couldn't claim to be 7. At that age I was just getting into Meccano and had yet to discover the delights my Triang "Freightmaster" set - bought for my 8th Christmas - had in store. Still got it, boxed in the loft.

Hope all is well in the far west!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Have you been Skiing in the Lake District today Jeff, or covered the Snow with more Poo chocolate coloured paint?

Evening Andy.

No skiing, but the northerly wind was bl**dy cold today!

Not allowed to mention the "p" word at the mo, as Jonathan (Rowsley) is unwell. But plenty of modroc-ing.....plaster tomorrow.

Hope it was warm at Seven Mills.

Off to watch The Fugitive - vintage 1964 - at dad's now.

Jeff

• Like 1