Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

The amount of work you're putting into the 'stonework' on this layout is staggering Jeff. You have a lot more patience than I'd ever be capable of.

Graeme

BTW - just bought a WO 73mm zenithstar and guidescope so I can get pictures of much bigger areas of the sky than I see in my 8inch reflector. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2021 at 22:59, Physicsman said:

Ha! It certainly wasn't planned! 

Nice to see you're still looking in, Mark. Are you still doing Blea Moor and Hellifield?

I am always looking bud, I’m still around the area going to incidents from time to time 

the photos were taken last year. It’s the only job I know where I get to walk over this stunning area 

0EE0490B-CD29-4FC4-82F8-65F285944012.jpeg

D0AECE42-BFD1-4F47-863D-0D30C39570EF.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Here are a few pics off the phone. Much prefer the colour balance from the Canon, so I've had a play and adjusted the balance on the first one - before and afters included. This was a quick adjustment, I'll look into it further.

Jeff

20210517_184502 Gcur cr rs.jpg

20210517_184502 Gcur cr GCB rs.jpg

20210517_184922 cr.jpg

20210517_185016 cr.jpg

20210517_185027 cr.jpg

20210517_185311 cr.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, mark axlecounter said:

I am always looking bud, I’m still around the area going to incidents from time to time 

the photos were taken last year. It’s the only job I know where I get to walk over this stunning area 

0EE0490B-CD29-4FC4-82F8-65F285944012.jpeg

D0AECE42-BFD1-4F47-863D-0D30C39570EF.jpeg

Hi Mark.

Great to see you've got yourself a new niche, outside the signalbox. If you are ever in the Dentdale area, please post pics. Or anywhere on the S&C, to be honest!

3 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Second picture in the first of this evening’s posts is superb!

The rest are just very good

D

Cheers David.

More angles and interesting views should become available as things develop and "crap" in the background - brushes, containers, areas needing scenic treatment etc diminishes.

Once I've got a bit more walling done I can give the hillsides and valley a "proper" scenic treatment.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, mark axlecounter said:

I only go as far as the points at Blea moor, the rest of the moor is another patch 

Good enough for me - it's all hallowed ground!

Best to you, partner and kiddie!

J.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe a daft question but, will you be putting some sort of backdrop on the walls? The last view is superb but the doorway in the background gets in the way a bit. 

Graeme

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Maybe a daft question but, will you be putting some sort of backdrop on the walls? The last view is superb but the doorway in the background gets in the way a bit. 

Graeme

Morning Graeme.

I agree entirely about the "door". It's actually one of 4 glass-fronted display cabinets that are dotted around the Bunker. At some stage I'll fill the cabinets with my 00 gauge locos, that are presently in the loft.

When things are a bit more sorted I'll get some material to drape over the cabinet in question - in the last pic. I can't fit a backscene board as I need to access that area and it's already tight. But for more "proper" pics I'll arrange something.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Physicsman said:

More work on the bridge and walls today. Not easy to show anything scintillating, with jobs unfinished, but here's a pic....

Jeff

20210518_224658 crop.jpg

When I see modelling/layouts like this I often wonder why I even bother because there is no way I could achieve anything anywhere near as superb as that

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, JustinDean said:

This is looking great Jeff. I take it the dry stone walls that are painted are from the previous layout? Have you discussed anywhere how you’ve painted them?

Jay

Hi Jay.

I suspect the painting of the walls has been discussed in dribs and drabs over the course of the previous 2 layouts, which makes things difficult to find. But basically, I use a very simple method....

As you'll have noticed, there is (a lot of) new walling going on, connecting some older sections, and in its own right. I'll try to get a semblance of consistency, but the prototype walls are a varied lot, so there's a great deal of leeway.

I give a new section of wall a day or so, to allow all the PVA to set, before starting a series of washes - as I did on the viaduct. The colour is basically a dark grey acrylic, such as Woodland Scenics Stone Grey, diluted down. Roughly 8 drops of paint to 100ml water. Then brushed over the wall faces. Allowing 2-3 hours between each wash, it can take 5-10 washes to darken the DAS clay stones to the level I want. A bit of brownish Burnt Umber, or a darker grey are sometimes chucked into the mix. Too many washes, too often, can soften up the PVA, so I don't overdo it.  I haven't had a wall disintegrate - yet!

Speaking of which, I need a few sections with not-so-pristine walls when I go a bit further. That is, with bits missing...

And the wall acrylic mix is also the base colouring I use to weather the track ballast.

Hope that's useful - just ask if there's other points you need to know about.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Removing a nonsense phrase!
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

When I see modelling/layouts like this I often wonder why I even bother because there is now way I could achieve anything anywhere near as superb as that

Chris - oh YES there is....

Seriously, there's nothing at all clever about what I do. My philosophy is simple - I build it, if it looks ok, good. If it isn't, I rip it up and try again. The techniques are very basic.

I think the main thing to bear in mind with landscapes is that they were (mostly) there long before the railways, so the railway needs to fit the landscape, not the other way round. And hills, mounds, cuttings - even when modified by humans - still need some rugged elements to them. Too smooth and they are too artificial. 

I've had it drummed into me for years - use the real thing as your guide. Much easier to look at the prototype than make it up.

My main bugbear was always the "finish". Back in the Dark Ages, pre-static grass, when all we had was paint and flock, things were a bit limiting. Have a look at my Fell on the KL thread - I'll post some links later. Using flock as a base - as it stands now - and messing around (and it IS messing round, I don't think there's a right or wrong) with grasses, bushes, clumps, pathways etc, it's amazing what turns up. I always made the mistake of going "too bright" - the landscape is more muted greens and yellows.

So, basically, I'm making a lot of the vegetation bit up. It's interesting - I got a lot of positive feedback on the Fell in the last layout. But one part was bugging me and after 2 months I tore it up and re-did it. I was happy. I think most of the viewers thought my "improvements" we're a backward step!

Chris, sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, as they say. But just have a go and see what happens.

I appreciate your comments and support. It may be ignorant of me, but aside from looking at hundreds of pics of the real thing I very rarely look at other layouts. Mike's "Dent", Jonathan's "Derwent Spa" and any of Bodgit's (Andrew P) layouts are well worth looking at.

And btw, I very much appreciate constructive criticism because some of the time I produce some "howlers". I'm not interested in rivet-counter detailing, but the "feel" and overall impression is what I'm trying to achieve. Imagine an S&C layout without bridges, walling, sheep, hillsides etc.....!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Spellings
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Jeff, I have just had an email from

https://www.wwscenics.com

who have just introduced a range of "muds" and who now do "water". Just a thought for when you model your beck/stream/brook.

Thanks, Jonathan. I'll have a look at that site. It's always good to have an armoury of these places as they sometimes stock just the thing you needed, but never thought was available!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm just having a coffee break after about 90 minutes work in the Bunker.

Here's what an hour's walling on a tricky slope gets you - 200 stones on here. This section will complete the run-off from the top of the right hand cutting to the viaduct. The railway were very protective of their land, and it keeps those pesky sheep out!

Currently, this side of the cutting doesn't have a wall - it's fenced. I don't mind fencing, but a wall looks better and I'm invoking Rule 1 that in the 1960s, when this layout is set, there WAS a wall..... Eeeeh, I'm getting power-mad!

Jeff

20210519_141824.jpg

20210519_141742 rs.jpg

20210519_141808 rs.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think you're right to go with the wall rather than a fence. Getting fences to look right on sloping ground takes some doing and a lot seem to look as if they are about to fall over. Which would be right for the 2020s as land owners don't seem to take care of their boundaries as they used to. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Jay.

I suspect the painting of the walls has been discussed in dribs and drabs over the course of the previous 2 layouts, which makes things difficult to find. But basically, I use a very simple method....

As you'll have noticed, there is (a lot of) new walling going on, connecting some older sections, and in its own right. I'll try to get a semblance of consistency, but the prototype walls are a varied lot, so there's a great deal of leeway.

I give a new section of wall a day or so, to allow all the PVA to set, before starting a series of washes - as I did on the viaduct. The colour is basically a dark grey acrylic, such as Woodland Scenics Stone Grey, diluted down. Roughly 8 drops of paint to 100ml water. Then brushed over the wall faces. Allowing 2-3 hours between each wash, it can take 5-10 washes to darken the DAS clay stones to the level I want. A bit of brownish Burnt Umber,for a darker good grey are sometimes chucked into the mix. Too many washes, too often, can soften up the PVA, so I don't overdo it. The glue tax-free and I haven't had a wall disintegrate - yet!

Speaking of which, I need a few sections with not-so-pristine walls when I go a bit further.

And the wall mix is also the base colouring I use to weather the track ballast.

Hope that's useful - just ask if there's other points you need to know about.

Jeff

Really useful! Thanks Jeff. 

Hi Jeff, this is brilliant stuff, very evocative. 

You mention recycling the dry stone walls from your previous layout(s) but I can't remember what happened to the previous viaducts (whose construction I followed avidly at the time, and subsequently made a poor imitation). Can you remind me please. Apologies if this has recently been answered - it's the age you know. Please tell me they didn't go in the skip. 

Regards, 

Brian. 

• Like 2