Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

David, Andy - I'd like to think I could nail it, not quite sure yet.

Here are some more pics which I'd welcome feedback about. I'm quite pleased with the north end of the valley, with additional 6mm fibres added - slightly less darker, slightly more beige. A little bit more 6mm will be added further up, but most will remain at 2.5mm. I've some 4mm fibres in stock that I may add on.

There will be some beige grass clumps - there are plenty of these in evidence near Arten Gill. Pic included to show what I mean.

Jeff

IMG_8134 rs.JPG

IMG_8136 rs.JPG

IMG_8140 rs cr.JPG

IMG_8135 rs.JPG

IMG_8133 rs.JPG

artengill-n1034 clumps.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Just an idea can you add a gap between each picture as it would make for easier viewing... just go into edit and an a space with the space bar between each and hey presto 

Good idea, John. Agree, it makes viewing a lot easier!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Static grass often looks dark/rich.

It looks a bit dark compared to the “real life” shot but future layers will probably tone it back. 

The “patchwork” look is very successful

The patchwork is evident in all the prototype photos I have. Difficulty is getting the patchwork of different depths without making it too blatant. OR, worse still, having all the different layers in almost the same tone, so they blend together....to give a bland result.

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Re '' Nailed it'' did you not see the nail sticking out of the Grass in that pic?:D

As usual, Andy, just like Peter K, you always find the funny angle. Bearing in mind the nails I'm using, are you trying to galvanise me into action? Giving me a head start? I'll be well and truly shafted if I don't see the point........

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Rowsley17D said:

That track looks good going under the arch. Are you going to go in for some perspective artwork through the arches?

I've left a gap of about 6mm at the rear of the path - between the track end and the ply backscene board. I can slide a sheet of 3mm ply - left over from the viaduct fascias - to the rear of the viaduct. Just high enough to stand below parapet level. The backscene will be painted over with blue/clouds.

I'm no artist, but I can draw a perspective scene in the arch in pencil - and crayon etc it as necessary. No point suggesting watercolours etc - no.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Don't forget the space between photos ☺️

Ha, ha.

There MUST be a way of doing that without having to submit the photo, THEN edit the damn thing!

• RMweb Premium

One thing to point out on the last batches of photos. There is a complete run of 12mm green and beige grass along the wall to the left. I'll do the right tomorrow. Unless you actually look along the path at eye level it's all but invisible.

Here's the prototype:

COWGILL_-16B_Artengill_Viaduct_Dentdale_3_xgaplus.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Ha, ha.

There MUST be a way of doing that without having to submit the photo, THEN edit the damn thing!

Just press the space-bar after adding each photo.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I've overdosed this page with posts tonight.

Unless anyone has something specific to refer to, I'll wait a few more days before posting anything else.

J.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Sorry I've overdosed this page with posts tonight.

Unless anyone has something specific to refer to, I'll wait a few more days before posting anything else.

J.

Please post popular pics per post.:D

6P's:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Great work as usual. Quick question, what did you use for the surface of the path? Very effective.

ps keep posting pics as Andy has said.

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just come back from my dad's - we are working our way through episodes of Kojak from 1974. Takes my mind off grass, grass, DAS and grass. See? I'm a natural poet!

Right Andy, I'll do my best, but I don't like showing things that don't show some kind of progress. I'll be putting more grass on tomorrow, and if I can ever get hold of some Noch "leaves" I'll render a lot of the 12mm fibres along the path more visible.

Steve, really simple, found by "mooching" around the stuff left over from building raised beds..... The path is sharp sand. I don't have a suitable sieve, so after drying out a couple of handfuls in the sun, I removed the largest stones by hand to try and keep what was left below 1 to 1.5mm max. There are a few slightly bigger, I'm sure, but mostly small stuff. Then I bedded the grit onto PVA and let it set. Which it did, like concrete. As I found out when I spotted a larger stone and tried to remove it!

As always, if it hadn't looked reasonable I'd have tried something else. It's ok for a rough track, but far too course for any kind of mainstream road. Hope that helps.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Have done the same from building sands but had one advantage over you - I had a suitable sieve!  Some really great looking work shows up well on the photographs.

• Thanks 1