Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

In the absence of any locos running on Gill Head, here's a couple of pics from KL2 taken in October 2017.

I've been very busy with more of the wonderful grass - not that you'd probably notice if I posted pics. Maybe some pics tomorrow.

Jeff

IMG_6246.JPG

IMG_6345crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Well I read your post of the KL (End of line) thread.

Off to paint the skirting board in the bathroom...

My post was THAT exciting it sent you to the bathroom.....?

Enjoy yourself, Peter (!)

• RMweb Premium

I've changed the projection used on the composite editor to "orthographic" and I think the result is more pleasing, with the viaduct curvature more evident....

1543434458_IMG_8188_stitchorthors.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Grammar!
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from Northumberland and travelled on the M6 south through Tebay and noted the grass landscape in the gorge - okay, LNWR rather than MR route, but if the grass colours are true on your camera and my flipflop then I'd say you've nailed it. I assume it's early summer at Gill Head?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Just got back from Northumberland and travelled on the M6 south through Tebay and noted the grass landscape in the gorge - okay, LNWR rather than MR route, but if the grass colours are true on your camera and my flipflop then I'd say you've nailed it. I assume it's early summer at Gill Head?

Evening Jonathan.

I haven't been up to Arten Gill this year, so I've no idea what the current vegetation colours are like. But I've based the build on a hybrid of about 5 photos which, judging from the sun angles seem to have been taken in late spring-early summer. I didn't want things too "dead" looking or burned brown as in late summer/early autumn.

The Noch greens I prefer to use tend to be a bit more restrained than some I've seen, and combinations of their beige and meadow grass can be used to produce a broad range of greenery.

I need to add a few trees, shrubs and get the hair spray out to work some vegetation into parts of the grass.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick update.....

NO static grass today as I've started working on the point-rodding at the clock end of the layout.

This will allow me to get the track at that end ballasted and weathered, along with permanently fixing the scenic bits in place - so a logical progression. Who knows, I may actually decide to work my way back towards the station end?

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Good luck with the point rodding. I'm in middle of doing mine, it's like knitting with fog as everything is so small.

Yep, agree with that, though I'll only be doing the first section - probably - at the mo.

I already have "superglue index finger", and that's after just a few hours with the stuff!

I'll post a pic or two later - for the benefit of others - to show how unimaginably exciting a task it is....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
to boldly go...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The pics show the enormous, fiddly size of the rodding stools. These are by MSE from Wizard Models.

I've mounted each stool on a small piece of 20thou plastikard and used Roket superglue to fix the stools in the correct positions. Once I've added a few brass cranks I can run the rodding wire through the stools and connect things up - tomorrow.

To get to this section of the track I kept one of my removable sections of hillside literally removable. Some of the cork edging has received its DAS ballast shoulder.

More tomorrow.

Jeff

20210607_184814.jpg

20210607_193214.jpg

20210607_193207 rs.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Donw said:

The is a very useful book by Lawrie Adams on point rodding available from the 2mm Scale Association  http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/nms/index.html

It has a lot of pertinent stuff for all scales. Just remember the 2mm parts he is using will be 1/8th of the size of the 4mm ones.

Don 

Yes, and working with the stools and brass etchings is bad enough in 4mm.

The good side of it is that any minor errors are all but invisible to the observer - including the layout builder!!

I've sent you a PM, Don.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting.

The initial point rodding post has produced the weakest response of almost anything I've put on here. I must admit, it's not terribly exciting!

Looking forward to more sticky adventures today.

• Like 3

I don’t have any experience with point rodding but did recently do battle with Modelu guttering/down pipe fittings.

They are wonderful products but oh so tiny.

I could not have managed without my illuminated magnifying lamp.

You are braver than me to take on this task!

D

• RMweb Gold

Been a bit busy in the garden, Jeff, but I do sympathise with you and point rodding what with doing it myself at the moment. I've been away in Northumberland last week and had to work out again what I was supposed to be doing and what went where. A new supply of cranks and stools arrived from ModelU while we were away so work has begun again.

On 08/06/2021 at 02:23, Physicsman said:

Very interesting.

The initial point rodding post has produced the weakest response of almost anything I've put on here. I must admit, it's not terribly exciting!

Looking forward to more sticky adventures today.

I'm waiting for the post:

Drat, I've stuck my fingers together.  Now they are stuck to the computerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, peach james said:

I'm waiting for the post:

Drat, I've stuck my fingers together.  Now they are stuck to the computerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:)

Now THAT sounds like some of the Canadian humour that Alex Lifeson is famous for.

And why I love Stargate SG-1 with its understated Canadian humour based around Richard Dean Anderson (though he's from Minnesota).

Or maybe it's a Physics thing, James.... We need to stick together.....

Jeff

Btw, trust you to pick out the sticky comment and ignore all the modelling! :laugh::nono:

Edited by Physicsman
Adding missing word!
  • Like 1

In the first photo, is it just my eyes or does the end of the bridge parapet need finishing?  Regardless, the overall effect is superb. 

Veering slightly, did you manage to see the partial eclipse in your neck of the woods?  We had scattered cloud in lanarkshire right up till 10am when the heavy grey clouds rolled in and stayed until after midday. Only managed a handful of images in the small breaks.  

Graeme