Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jacko said:

In the first photo, is it just my eyes or does the end of the bridge parapet need finishing?  Regardless, the overall effect is superb. 

Veering slightly, did you manage to see the partial eclipse in your neck of the woods?  We had scattered cloud in lanarkshire right up till 10am when the heavy grey clouds rolled in and stayed until after midday. Only managed a handful of images in the small breaks.  

Graeme

Morning Graeme.

You're not seeing things - the ends of the parapets at both ends of the viaduct need "capping" - it was something I missed when I "finished" the structure. Every time I post a pic of the ends of the viaduct I kick myself for forgetting to sort it out.

As for the eclipse - I got a ten second glimpse through thick cloud at about ten thirty. By 1pm it was full sun. I don't mind too much. Nowhere near as bad as August 1999 when I went down to Plymouth to see the Total eclipse. Lovely weather except on August 11....But it did get dark.

Hopeless for the moon at the moment, generally low in the sky at the phases I'm interested in - and cloudy otherwise. Likewise for you, with the light nights?

Jeff

Yep.  55 north so it's not dark till after 11 and light again by 2 or 3.  The odd clear night we get I'm looking at globular clusters otherwise not a productive time of year.

Graeme

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Very nice Jeff,

Your making excellent progress. Sorry if I have missed this, but what track have you used? Handbuilt??

Rich

Hi Rich.

When I started the original KL in 2012 I bought a stock of Peco code 75, with the intention of using that. Looking on this Forum, which I'd just joined, and "politely coerced" by Jason, I ditched the Peco and bought a few boxes (it's sold in boxes of 10 x 1 yard lengths) of SMP finescale 00 from Marcway in Sheffield. This was later "upgraded" (I'd better use  " as someone is bound to be offended by the implication  that EM is superior to 00) to SMP EM finescale for KL2. I like the appearance.

In the early days it was suggested that I build my own track and turnouts. At that time, the thought of doing so was quite daunting, though - if I had the time (which I don't) - I'd be more than happy to do so now. So I also bought-in the turnouts - again by Marcway, first in 00 and then replaced in EM.

So all the track is commercially available. Maybe after GH I'll build that small diorama and build the track as it would be a fun thing to do.

Have you fallen asleep yet.....? :sarcastic:

Jeff

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Have you fallen asleep yet.....? :sarcastic:

ZZzzzzzzzzz ... ough erm ... ahh ... totally agree Jeff.. erm.. with whatever it was you were ermm ... yea ok :)  Asleep, who me, never!

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

When I started the original KL in 2012 I bought a stock of Peco code 75, with the intention of using that. Looking on this Forum, which I'd just joined, and "politely coerced" by Jason, I ditched the Peco and bought a few boxes (it's sold in boxes of 10 x 1 yard lengths) of SMP finescale 00 from Marcway in Sheffield. This was later "upgraded" (I'd better use  " as someone is bound to be offended by the implication  that EM is superior to 00) to SMP EM finescale for KL2. I like the appearance.

In the early days it was suggested that I build my own track and turnouts. At that time, the thought of doing so was quite daunting, though - if I had the time (which I don't) - I'd be more than happy to do so now. So I also bought-in the turnouts - again by Marcway, first in 00 and then replaced in EM.

So all the track is commercially available. Maybe after GH I'll build that small diorama and build the track as it would be a fun thing to do.

Seriously, thanks for that Jeff, interesting. I'd forgotten Marcway did EM gauge pointwork as well as O gauge. I have used their 7mm track work in the past and its been superb.  I am getting the hand of point building in 2mm, but still have a hankering for doing something in a 4mm finescale .. nothing as big as GH tho!

Keep up the good work mate.

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Maybe after GH I'll build that small diorama and build the track as it would be a fun thing to do.

As I model in N I have the luxury of being able to have a few different layouts and when I had the idea of building one last layout I decided to go the full hog and step out of my comfort zone with DCC Sound, Blue Diesel but more importantly hand made code 40 British Finescale track.

There was much cursing and cussing initially with sleepers pinging off every which way never to be seen again, but I’m glad to say I stuck at it and I derived much pleasure at doing it and knowing that I had every time I look at it, so I would encourage you to do it Jeff because in 20 years or whatever you don’t want to look back and say “ I really wish I had”

Brian

13 hours ago, Physicsman said:

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

I've been working on some walling, tidying-up and weathering the recently-ballasted track and creating a new scenic environment at the clock end, which I'll show pics of in a day or two. It's a very ordinary piece of work, so don't expect anything mindblowing!

I've also started to add some extra vegetation, the first to receive this being the path under the viaduct arch. When I acquire some hairspray I'll start working in a bit of flock into some areas of the long grasses, but that's for the future. The pics show some shrub growth along the path boundaries. These are commercial "shrubs" and the yellow version, akin to broom or ragwort, is a favourite of mine and was used on KL2. When UK suppliers manage to re-stock with Noch "leaves" (I guess they are stuck in a container in China atm) I'll create some leaf vegetation of my own.

The blue sky background above the viaduct is a work in progress - to date it's just blue matt emulsion that's been toned-down at lower altitudes with some white. More to do, not an immediate priority.

Jeff

IMG_8279 rs.JPG

IMG_8281 rs.JPG

IMG_8280 rs.JPG

IMG_8282 rs.JPG

Hi Jeff,

This may have been covered previously, but whats your plan for the white space in the viaduct arches?

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The July 2021 edition of Steam Days has a rather splendid double page colour photo of Arten Gill viaduct (taken from the hill above the SE corner) with a north bound goods service on it.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

The July 2021 edition of Steam Days has a rather splendid double page colour photo of Arten Gill viaduct (taken from the hill above the SE corner) with a north bound goods service on it.

Adrian

So that would be from a similar angle to this one, but in this case the goods are heading south...

15538993530_178230ecaa_o rs.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Hi Jeff,

This may have been covered previously, but whats your plan for the white space in the viaduct arches?

Steve

Evening Steve.

I have left enough space to slide a 4mm thick ply board behind the viaduct, cut to below viaduct parapet height, so visible through the arches but not from above - unless you stand right over the structure. I'll draw some kind of perspective view, so there's something to see from a front-on viewpoint.

Now I'm no artist, so I'll be keeping this simple and there'll be no paint involved whatever. Maybe a bit of crayon shading. Not something I'm looking forward to.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Physicsman said:

So that would be from a similar angle to this one, but in this case the goods are heading south...

15538993530_178230ecaa_o rs.jpg

Pretty much, but with the camera pointing slightly more to the left, the growth by the back end of the train is about the RHS side of the photo.

Adrian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2021 at 22:56, Physicsman said:

Evening Steve.

I have left enough space to slide a 4mm thick ply board behind the viaduct, cut to below viaduct parapet height, so visible through the arches but not from above - unless you stand right over the structure. I'll draw some kind of perspective view, so there's something to see from a front-on viewpoint.

Now I'm no artist, so I'll be keeping this simple and there'll be no paint involved whatever. Maybe a bit of crayon shading. Not something I'm looking forward to.

Jeff

Jeff,

May one be so bold as to suggest a letter pleading poverty and ignorance to the Chief Bodger of Model Railways (and superb artist), namely one @Andrew P of this parish, may assist your question for an 'under the arches' view..... or at the very least some polite suggestions in exchange for welsh cakes or a suitable jam sponge?  Just thinking if its something you are not looking forward to maybe outsourcing could be the idea....

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Jeff,

May one be so bold as to suggest a letter pleading poverty and ignorance to the Chief Bodger of Model Railways (and superb artist), namely one @Andrew P of this parish, may assist your question for an 'under the arches' view..... or at the very least some polite suggestions in exchange for welsh cakes or a suitable jam sponge?  Just thinking if its something you are not looking forward to maybe outsourcing could be the idea....

Rich

Good bit of lateral thinking Rich, but I've always adopted the attitude of "I'll stand or fall by my own efforts".

No matter what, if I make a complete hash of it then I'll scrap it, try again and - hopefully - improve. The "looking forward to" is on one end of a spectrum. I wish I was a talented watercolour artist, so this task - even drawing it - isn't something I'd choose to do, as against other things.

BUT, it's a challenge. I have no issue with perspective drawing, but it would have been easier if I had a recent image taken through the arches. As it is, I'll come up with something - walls tapering to the distance etc.

Thanks for the suggestion - nice to see you "looking out" for me. :)

Jeff

• Friendly/supportive 2

Jeff,

Look at it like the loco bodies, and the DAS clay- just because you might be able to whip up a batch of ABS in a spare beaker and machine a mold from steel you founded your self, doesn't mean you chose to do so !

I too had considered how to raise that it might produce a more finished result by asking for help.  This isn't a knock at all- nor is it a knock if you decide to go it your own way.  In that sense, this is YOUR layout not a club layout, where getting the best person for the job is important.  

Because said scenic painting is removable, I'd consider doing exactly that- make one yourself, and get Andrew to paint a 2nd one up.  I think I know which one would end up getting left in place, and it has to do with painting something like that being far more subjective than objective.

when in doubt, hire an expert to do the work-

DSC00659

is the mural that my late father in law (Glenn Hawkins AFCA) painted for the kids, being installed on the wall behind 1/8" lexan.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheers James. As usual, a common-sense viewpoint.

I'll just add that the "view through the arches" really is no big deal. There's no hurry to do it and by the time I get round to the job I may well have been up to Arten Gill and taken some photos on which to base the task.

Nice to see the pic you posted. You always have such a wide range of jobs on the go! 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I like it....though that looks to be be the "view" to the west, in the direction of Stonehouse village (just visible in the mist).I

Maybe a Dr Who-like scene with blue sky above the Viaduct and a mist-ridden time swirl below.

If anyone else has views through the arches, please post them.

Jeff

• Like 1