Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Rich.

Have a look at the second pic I posted at around 5pm today and you can see the foam board sticking out at the end.

I used to build wooden frames to hold the scenery - look at the original KL. But KL2 and GH use insulation board - so much easier. I generally put a layer of modroc on top to hold it all together, then standard plaster. Followed by brown emulsion base coat, flock and then grass layers. It's great fun, but with a lot to do, it can get a bit tedious at times!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, 

Ive just started the scenery on my Rock Creek layout, and I am thinking I’ll do the sections either side of the river in a similar way. All very educational this!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well Jeff. I have finally bit the bullet and taken your advice and started a thread on my latestish project.

Hope you don't mind a link here to it. Drystone walls and static grass to follow!!!

Edited by Ramrig
Added text
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Steve, great news. I'll keep a close watch on this.

Good job I kept nagging at you, eh?

Not at home at the mo - will look at the thread on my laptop later....

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the likes and comments on my last post. It is VERY much appreciated given the amount of time I've spent on the work.

Though not a great fan of "likes", the feedback serves to re-double my efforts.

Again, cheers!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Top work as ever Jeff :clapping:. That lane looks the mutts n… ;).

Thanks Steve.

Here's a slightly different view of the lane (second shot doesn't count as the depth of field isn't sufficient - it's just not light enough at f16, even at 3200ISO!)

And, I'll admit, I am NEVER happy with tree/shrub/hedge placements in settings like that. I put a few pieces "in position" yesterday evening and shifted them around - again - this morning. I guess it all goes to show that there's no "right" way to do this task!

Jeff

IMG_8391.JPG

IMG_8394 crop.JPG

Edited by Physicsman
Rearrange sentence to make sense!
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Thanks Steve.

Here's a slightly different view of the lane (second shot doesn't count as the depth of field isn't sufficient - it's just not light enough, even at f16@3200ISO!)

And, I'll admit, I am NEVER happy with tree/shrub/hedge placements in settings like that. I put a few pieces "in position" yesterday evening and shifted them around - again - this morning. I guess it all goes to show that there's no "right" way to do this task!

Jeff

IMG_8391.JPG

IMG_8394 crop.JPG

How did you build your shrubs?

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, John Besley said:

How did you build your shrubs?

Hi John.

I've got 3 answers for you....

First, the small shrubs with the yellow and the white flowers are commercial products. I bought them from The Model Tree Shop. They aren't cheap, but are very effective.

Second, the other greenery in the lane is made from Woodland Scenics Fine Foliage - I tend to use olive green as it's a more subdued colour that fits in well. Just a case of playing with the material to get shrub, hedge etc shaped objects.

Third, though I haven't been able to do this, yet, is to make small shrubs from scratch. I'll have a go at this once the stockists get new supplies of Noch leaves - available in a few different greens. This will be a fiddly task, but using 12mm static grass fibres, stuck onto a thin paper base in criss-cross configuration, once a sufficient nest of fibres has need created I'll coat the fibre tops with a tiny amount of PVA and sprinkle on leaves. Of course, if individual shrubs aren't needed, a good effect can be created by firing 12mm fibres from an applicator onto spots of PVA to create grass clumps, then adding leaves to the fibre tops. 

All a bit of fun. The home-made ones may not turn out too well, but nothing lost.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

More grassing and odds-and-ends today. Planted-up a few bushy bits in the "sheep-protected-zone", pics attached. Quick snaps with the phone, colours a bit out, as usual.

20210628_193139 crop.jpg

20210628_193202 crop.jpg

20210628_193150 crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

More good stuff.

love the technical description eg “bushy bits”.

underselling it again.

D

Ha ha, David, I'm very keen on the technicalities when it comes to layout building.....

As for underselling, I can only let others be the judge of that. I'm not a perfectionist, but I am tremendously self-critical. That's why I post on this Forum - not for self-congratulation (which is utterly pointless), but because I need the critical feedback to help me judge if it looks ok. Especially true with scenic work.

If I was surrounded by sycophants, saying nothing but nice things and showering me with thousands of likes for my merest utterance, I'd delete the thread with immediate effect. Fortunately, I have a group of informed people, often modellers with vastly more experience than me, keeping me on the (relative) "straight and narrow".

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Good Morning Jeff

I most certainly am still happy with the progress and the quality, it is just stunning, when I have to look at a picture 2/3 times to decide if it's real or if it's a model, that says it all about the quality, as for progress, what sort of fertiliser are you feeding the bushes in the lane on, I need some for my garden, I wish my veggies would grow half as fast as them bushes have.

That picture with the 2 wall gaps is just fantastic, you just cannot tell where the model ends and the backscene starts.

As you know I don't usually bother with the "likes", but them 2 sheep going for a pint just HAD to have one, absolutely fantastic.

Keep up the excellent work and one day I'll be knocking on your door for a closer look.

Chip

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Jeff, yours is looking so good, and I just saw this on Facebook, posted by a Colin Fisher, and thought it might inspire.

image.png.5746865aebf31407f2a7e609ccdfbb7b.png

Thanks Andy. Always good to see other people's S&C-related models!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Chipster said:

Good Morning Jeff

I most certainly am still happy with the progress and the quality, it is just stunning, when I have to look at a picture 2/3 times to decide if it's real or if it's a model, that says it all about the quality, as for progress, what sort of fertiliser are you feeding the bushes in the lane on, I need some for my garden, I wish my veggies would grow half as fast as them bushes have.

That picture with the 2 wall gaps is just fantastic, you just cannot tell where the model ends and the backscene starts.

As you know I don't usually bother with the "likes", but them 2 sheep going for a pint just HAD to have one, absolutely fantastic.

Keep up the excellent work and one day I'll be knocking on your door for a closer look.

Chip

Thanks for the positive comments. Not sure you'd want to see it "close-up" - it might not live up to expectations!

The "Sheep Saga" is going to be ongoing for a while. Part 1 was a couple of weeks ago. Bit silly, but in part 3 they'll be joined by a friend - in a week or so...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just built another section of cutting - a continuation of the one I've been working on. You can see it in the far corner of this view of the Bunker.

The "usual treatment" when the plaster has dried, and I'll do some further ballasting and point rodding in that corner in the next few days, as I head towards the goods shed area.

20210629_142032 crop.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4