Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

I've been looking at the pictures from Sunday wondering where the modelling ends and the backscene starts - it really is that good!.  I'm a bit surprised as I've been thinking for a while that maybe the green is a bit too vivid - just shows what I know. 

Graeme

• RMweb Premium

Interesting point about the green, Graeme. All depends on the angle at which the photos are taken.

I've not posted a number of pics taken with too much "warm white" 4000K light on them because the grass looks very yellow. The little hill on the top right corner of the last pic looks very green - until you shine light on it.

It also depends on the fibre length. Shorter fibre - 1.5, 2.5 and 4mm meadow grass (Noch) are a range of greens, but very green. Their 6 and 12mm "wild grass" fibres are a bit lighter, and I always mix in beige and brown. A 12mm coat is usually about 60% green, 40% beige.

The DSLR also renders the images greener - truer to reality than the phone.

A right can of worms!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

As a brief follow-up to the colour issue, I was looking at today's "snaps" on the phone, with no intent of posting anything. But a few interesting issues are noticeable....

Pic 1: Both sides of the cutting have had the same grass treatment. The side nearest to the backscene is out of direct lighting and looks a lot greener than the side nearest the camera, which is directly below 2000 lumens of lighting. If the 2 spotlights I have fitted at either side are turned on, and rotated to point on the backscene bank, it "yellows" appreciably. So, direct lighting is clearly a factor.

Pics 2 and 3: The cutting on the other side of the viaduct, again with the same 2.5, 4, 6 and 12mm grass fibres as the rest of the layout. Illuminated by close proximity to 5000 lumens of white light. Looks very yellow. Look at the north hill near the viaduct, in the background (the one with the steep wall): low lighting level, appears quite green.

Phone photos, so colour not quite as seen with the eye, but the same for all pics here, so the comparison is valid.

Of course, if I turn all the lights off the colour is the same everywhere... :yahoo::D

20210701_190444 crop.jpg

20210701_225458 crop.jpg

20210701_225434 crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

That's looking grand Jeff! 

BTW. Did you know about the UFO over the woods in left of the first pic?  It's obviously from planet Merino, I seen a couple o' em int lane jabbering on about invading the local watering hole!  Adds quite a lot of interest to my mind. 

Regards Shaun.

• Funny 3

The first picture is very illuminating (bad pun, sorry).

If you rearranged the lighting as suggested it would blend in very well with the backscene!

Please don’t get too hung up on colour. If it looks right to your eye then that’s what matters.

Cameras and phones tell porkies - unfortunately different ones!

D

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

That's looking grand Jeff! 

BTW. Did you know about the UFO over the woods in left of the first pic?  It's obviously from planet Merino, I seen a couple o' em int lane jabbering on about invading the local watering hole!  Adds quite a lot of interest to my mind. 

Regards Shaun.

Morning Shaun.

I thought for a moment you were going to suggest the feature was one of those "inexplicable" UFOs from the recent US Navy report, come to visit the S&C....

Thanks for the PM and I hope it cools down soon in your neck of the woods.

Btw, the craft in the picture was actually from the planet Posidrive.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

The first picture is very illuminating (bad pun, sorry).

If you rearranged the lighting as suggested it would blend in very well with the backscene!

Please don’t get too hung up on colour. If it looks right to your eye then that’s what matters.

Cameras and phones tell porkies - unfortunately different ones!

D

Hi David.

I try to ignore the colour issue, trusting to the way it looks and the integrity of the Noch grass fibres I'm using. However, Graeme ( "jacko") piqued my curiosity with his comment.

The eye certain!y picks out a lot of subtle variations that aren't necessarily apparent in a photo. As long as the grass blends, looks realistic, and it's consistent across the layout, then I'm happy.

I'm actually amazed that my stocks of grass are holding up - I've used so much of the stuff! And guess what today's first order of business is? Though I may lay a piece of track later...

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quite a bit of work done on the corner cutting section, cork trimmed for more point rods and a section of track glued down for the goods shed siding. Pics when it looks presentable.

The insert board that goes to the rear of the viaduct arches (board #1 as it's only 4' wide) has had its sky area painted - hopefully to blend in with the existing, main board. The "lane extension" has been sketched in very lightly. I'll have a go at this at some later stage. As with all perspective work, the perspective only looks half-right when viewed from the front. But it'll be better than a blank wall!

Jeff

IMG_8412 rs.JPG

IMG_8415 rs.JPG

IMG_8418 rs.JPG

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 11

Let me start by saying I can barely spell perspective so this notion can be dismissed at will.

You could consider a bend to the left in the extension to lead it behind the pier. This might help fool the eye.

D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Not being over critical Jeff, but in the second pic, it looks like it follows the contour of the foreground to much.

No problem, Andy. Unfortunately, I'm not making this up - the background outline of Great Knotberry Hill does, indeed, follow the lay of the foreground land. I'm not artistic enough to "make it up".

J.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: Working on the corner - more walling, some ballasting, rodding, grime - you name it....

As for the "perspective" - I told you, I'm no artist and it can stay blank for the foreseeable future.

Pics, probably middle of the week.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

"It's in the trees!
It's coming!"

Cue Kate Bush...

Don't get me started on Kate Bush.....images of Heathcliffe and the Hounds of Love bounding across the bleak S&C landscape.....

J.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, peach james said:

When I think of Kate Bush, my mind is drawn to Utah Saints/Something Good/ Cloudbursting...

And, of course, the Cloudbusting video featured the great Canadian actor Donald Sutherland (Kiefer's dad).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, peach james said:

When I think of Kate Bush, my mind is drawn to Utah Saints/Something Good/ Cloudbursting...

When I think of Kate Bush I go all mushy. :blush:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Some lovely progress since I last dipped in!

I see that you are no trying the back scene under the arches of the viaduct, which does lead to something that appears to be unavoidable... the shadow cast on the backscene. As the viaduct is soo near the wall you get totally unrealistic shadow on the sky! Is there a way of getting around this? I was thinking that you might be able to lighten up the colours of the back scene to counter act the shadow? I've got no-idea if this will work?

Andy G

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments about the viaduct shadows. It's something I'll have a think about as we get nearer to completion.

I was just looking back at pics of the viaduct and came across this one from April 30. Compare with a few weeks later...

20210430_180827 Gcur crop.jpg

IMG_8431 crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Here are 4 pics straight off the camera. Not fully sharp as the depth of field is poor, but taken together they are indicative of the ongoing cutting, walling, grassing, ballasting, griming etc etc work that is going on.

IMG_8434 cr rs.JPG

20210706_192859 cr.jpg

IMG_8425 cr rs.JPG

IMG_8426 cr rs.JPG

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

the squid trick might help, neutralise your shadow by casting light on it, some LED's on the back of the viaduct?

Yes, I think that will work - John suggested the same thing, above.

Very low power LEDs are certainly worth trying.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've spent a few hours adding 6 and 12mm fibres to the embankments and some work on the cess area near where the goods shed will be. I've run out of grime and have a long list of items I need to replace - different lengths of static grass, grime, DAS, fine cinder ballast (to put on some of the shi**ier areas of track) etc, so work is progressing a bit slower than usual.

However, I crawled into the corner at the northern end of the viaduct and snapped a few pics on the phone - the first 3 show the walling now extending round to the goods area. So here you go (it all looks the same as last time/last week, doesn't it?)

Jeff

Edit: Quite a bit of the track is "wet" as it's just received its latest dose of weathering gunge.

20210708_150324 crop.jpg

20210708_150414 crop.jpg

20210708_150334 crop.jpg

20210708_150637 crop.jpg

20210708_150655 copy.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4