Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, lambiedg said:

Wet track on the S&C? Surely not!

The embankments are looking great.

D

Evening David.

I DID have a minor deluge yesterday when I managed to tip the container with the weathering gunge onto the track. Fortunately the crap went into a very appropriate place and saved me having to paint it - ever again!

As you'll have guessed, I DO love scenic modelling. Good, escapist stuff!

10 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Really coming on delightfully well, Jeff. I bet you're well pleased with how it looks.

Cheers Jonathan.

Yep, very happy with progress, though the amount of grass fibres being used is getting ridiculous. And I've plenty more to do. As for the walling....

I think I need to clean the rails this weekend and just sit for an hour with a loco going round and round and round.... :)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Right, after the grass and wall indulgence of the pics from 2 hours ago, a slight change in emphasis - a little point rodding.

A test of the eyesight, but I've managed to get the rods in the right places, most of the time!

The "break" in the rods in the pic with the clock is to accommodate the next crank - when I can be bothered to fit it together.

20210708_181608.jpg

20210708_181640.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Point rodding, as I have found out, is a test of eyesight, manual dexterity and patience especially when there's a longish run of 5 rods involved. I'm just glad the Midland used economical facing point locks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I'm still lurking in the undergrowth behind the 3rd Arch from the left, and please to see such improvement each day.

I wondered what was making those strange grunting sounds I could hear all afternoon....!

• Funny 2

9 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I wondered what was making those strange grunting sounds I could hear all afternoon....!

That FOXED you, bet you couldn't BEAR it, I  just SQIRRELED myself away in the long grass.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

That FOXED you, bet you couldn't BEAR it, I  just SQIRRELED myself away in the long grass.

Good to see the humour. Sometimes we take this modelling malarkey a bit too seriously.

Btw, I've got people from Chester Zoo round this afternoon, so your days of freedom are numbered!

Jeff

• Funny 1

I got quite a surprise watching last night's Tour de France highlights; the helicopter flew over a near exact duplicate of your Arten Gill viaduct right down to the track going under one of the left hand arches. Sadly, it was only single track viaduct  and 'repurposed'  as a walking route though.   

Graeme

Edited by jacko

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, jacko said:

I got quite a surprise watching last night's Tour de France highlights; the helicopter flew over a near exact duplicate of your Arten Gill viaduct right down to the track going under one of the left hand arches. Sadly, it was only single track viaduct  and 'repurposed'  as a walking route though.   

Graeme

As long as Mark Cavendish wins another stage I can forgive the French their "crime" of copying Arten Gill!! :)

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Ought to be a sprint finish today. Fingers crossed for him to catch eddie merckx' record.

Graeme 

And guess what?

The Manx Missile wins again...YAY!!!!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Back to railways, I spent an hour or so this evening cleaning the rail tops on the Down main line and ran one of my diesels round and round for a little while. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that it works (loco and track)!

I may have a break for a couple of days - maybe clean the Up line and run something on that, too. I need to re-supply with stuff and that provides me with a valid excuse! Having said that, I still have plenty of static grass in stock, and plenty to do, so maybe I'll add some top layers on the south side of the viaduct valley.

More pics when something worth showing is available.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Back to railways, I spent an hour or so this evening cleaning the rail tops on the Down main line and ran one of my diesels round and round for a little while. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that it works (loco and track)!

I may have a break for a couple of days - maybe clean the Up line and run something on that, too. I need to re-supply with stuff and that provides me with a valid excuse! Having said that, I still have plenty of static grass in stock, and plenty to do, so maybe I'll add some top layers on the south side of the viaduct valley.

More pics when something worth showing is available.

Jeff

Steady on young Jeff ... once you start making use of moving things, it could be construed as representing a Mo**l Ra***ay ... dont go being hasty and setting any presidents here.  WE ALL know your a landscape modeller, the trains are just an inconvenience (not the structures, just the trains!!!)

Rich

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Steady on young Jeff ... once you start making use of moving things, it could be construed as representing a Mo**l Ra***ay ... dont go being hasty and setting any presidents here.  WE ALL know your a landscape modeller, the trains are just an inconvenience (not the structures, just the trains!!!)

Rich

Yes Rich, it must be old age catching up with me. I actually put a loco on the track and ran it for 15 minutes. What is the world coming to?

It did look nice emerging from the cutting and toddling across the viaduct!

Phew. I need a rest. Maybe it's the cumulative effect of what I've been doing for the last 6 weeks: DG Syndrome (Das and Grass).....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Are both loops connected up enough for a proper running session yet Jeff?

Evening Andy.

All the track, aside from the recently added goods yard siding, is connected to the power bus, though I haven't built a central turnout control yet, so changing points on the Up line or into the yard is a bit of a faff ('cos of the number of turnouts there. Having said that, I think there are only 15 turnouts on the whole layout - the original KL had 40, which was WAY over the top!) Especially with all the stuff currently under the main board - for construction purposes (it will be removed later) - that makes access a chore.

I need to get my priorities right, eh?

I'm busy beavering away, but I thought I'd hold any updates for quite a while to keep the "punters" honest!! :angel:

I've just sorted out a re-stock and will be ordering some of Dave Franks' excellent Lanarkshire Models buffer stops in the next few days. For those that haven't seen them, have a look at the site!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Update....

A lot of work has been done over the last week, principally in further extending the embankments.

I'll put some pics up, probably on Saturday.

From now on, most of my posts on here will be pictures only. If anybody wants further details, or has any comments, please ask/comment and I'll do my best to respond.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In the absence of any comments/questions/general information, can I ask a question? This is for my own interest, nothing more.

How many of you that post on here are active layout builders/have something long-term "on the go"?

And how many of you are passive onlookers, just watching developments - on this and other threads?

I'm not being judgemental, as everyone is entitled to be as involved in modelling as much or as little as they please.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

In the absence of any comments/questions/general information, can I ask a question? This is for my own interest, nothing more.

How many of you that post on here are active layout builders/have something long-term "on the go"?

And how many of you are passive onlookers, just watching developments - on this and other threads?

I'm not being judgemental, as everyone is entitled to be as involved in modelling as much or as little as they please.

Jeff

I have been known to participate in a little modelling activity from time to time Jeff.:D

• Funny 8

3 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Jeff

I'm currently a semi passive onlooker. I don't currently have a layout, nor space for one, though hopefully that will change in the next year, or two.

my modelling, when I have time is solely kit built locomotives

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do have a layout, and do fiddle about with stuff, for it.

Whether I make enough progress, to qualify as active, I couldn't possibly say.

Thanks for asking, and keep up the great work Jeff.

(Links below in signature).

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 2