Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Tony, always good to hear from you.

As you'll see in the next batch of pics, I didn't quite have the space to include that lovely shepherd's hut that's adjacent to Arten Gill. I may build one in a planned 00 diorama - I need a short plank to "exercise" my old stock.

As for progress - I think we are all TOO self-critical at times. As long as you enjoy what you're doing.....

Thanks for replying.

J.

Edited by Physicsman
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

I'm currently a semi passive onlooker. I don't currently have a layout, nor space for one, though hopefully that will change in the next year, or two.

my modelling, when I have time is solely kit built locomotives

I admire people who can build locos in that way. Just as valuable a use of your time as me playing with DAS and static grass!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Physicsman said:

In the absence of any comments/questions/general information, can I ask a question? This is for my own interest, nothing more.

How many of you that post on here are active layout builders/have something long-term "on the go"?

And how many of you are passive onlookers, just watching developments - on this and other threads?

I'm not being judgemental, as everyone is entitled to be as involved in modelling as much or as little as they please.

Jeff

I have one on the go, and find threads such as yours inspiration to crack on!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Physicsman said:

In the absence of any comments/questions/general information, can I ask a question? This is for my own interest, nothing more.

How many of you that post on here are active layout builders/have something long-term "on the go"?

And how many of you are passive onlookers, just watching developments - on this and other threads?

I'm not being judgemental, as everyone is entitled to be as involved in modelling as much or as little as they please.

Jeff

Geoff

I have been a modeller in the dim distant past, but done nothing for too many years.  However I do appreciate excellent modelling and yours is.  Long may you carry on.

DeadRinger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Jeff

In theory Figworthy is an active build, but progress is a bit slow glacial at the moment for various reasons.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

John, Jay, Adrian and DeadRinger (apologies, I don't know your first name!): Thanks very much for the feedback to my question(s).

To date, that's 8 responses, with a high proportion of you actively building something. Adrian, it doesn't matter how glacial the build is, and you do post a fair bit on here (stop looking at my pics and get to work! Lol! :angel:)

Hopefully, there'll be a few more responses. I don't have any reason for my question, other than my genuine curiosity. And can I apologise if any of you have threads on RMW - I have to admit that, other than posting on here, I spend very little time looking at the Forum. I certainly value all of the feedback I get, especially when I come up with one of my classic "Jeff clangers". If you spot something, please don't grin and bear it - tell me off! :)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I am an active builder currently building a semi accurate model of Reading south (DCC) oo gauge about 50 % done but a hiatus at the moment due to removal of wardrobes to partners craft room

Also doing repairs, servicing, Dcc and sound fitting for the local model shop!.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just lost the reply to your 'modeller question' Jeff but in essence - yes although mainly on the club OO layout where many hours have been spent one way or another recently although I did build one during the first lockdown.  We were fortunate that a friend's daughter did the shopping for us at that time.  I have some patience but cannot match either your standard nor your absolute patience.

Looking forward to your next set of pictures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Active modeller for 50+ years now and as I model in N, I am eternally grateful that eyesight and dexterity of fat fingers are holding up well.

The benefit of N is that I have 5 separate layouts in one state or another covering LMS GWR through to Green then Blue Diesel. Interchangeable stock gives me increased variety as to which one I play with as the mood takes me.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just catching up with your question re modelling activity.

I am currently working on a club project in readiness for the SEC next Feb (hopefully!) with another club layout in the wings.

More interestingly (to me anyway) is the box containing laser cut baseboard bits in the spare room that will become my first home built layout in ages. A simple shunting plank will emerge over winter

• Like 3

I am a passive viewer and armchair modeller. I have a partially built Inglenook thatI really should get back to. I have built a few wagon kits and card buildings over the years, but nothing has crystallised into a working, scenic layout. 

Other things always ways seem to get in the way. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Jeff

Hi Jeff, 

Yes layout substantially complete, oo gauge code 75 live frogs, pretty much all rtr locos and stock but I do build my own buildings using Scalescenes techniques. I do have a white metal loco kit (DJH D20) on the go but I'm struggling with it a bit. 3 bridges and two viaducts (not a patch on yours) and gradients which defeat odd locos pulling any sort of load. All good fun though. 

Regards 

Brian 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Continuing the theme of feedback from visitors to this thread, thanks to David, Neil and Brian.

Such a variety of things that people get involved with - what a great hobby, with a full spectrum of interests.

Thanks again, and I'm interested in any further comments - even if I DO know what some of the others are getting on with.

Cheers,

Jeff.

• Like 2

Evening Jeff.

I've got various bits and bobs, layout-wise scattered, around. I even lost a layout once - never sure what happened to it. I'm nowhere near prolific Andy's efforts though.

But I've not run any trains for years. Lost the inclination.

Maybe one day...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Continuing the theme of feedback from visitors to this thread, thanks to David, Neil and Brian.

Such a variety of things that people get involved with - what a great hobby, with a full spectrum of interests.

Thanks again, and I'm interested in any further comments - even if I DO know what some of the others are getting on with.

Cheers,

Jeff.

Very much a passive on looker! A first time poster on your thread having subscribed from the start. I can’t further any of the other posters views, simply stunning what you produce and posting anything would simply clutter up your great thread. So I stick to likes and craftsmanship clever etc. reactions

I’m a poor novice modeller so can add nothing of value really.

I do model 4mm and have a couple of threads Meldon Quarry and Barnstable Quay but pace is glacial! Loving what you are creating here Jeff.

Edited by AdeMoore
More info added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I think its my first time posting on this thread.

I am sure that I posted on Kirby Luneside (I).

Slow modeller here. 

Layout substantially track laid, but space constraints means that it is currently crated up.

Slowly building etched wagon kits from the 2mm Ass to run on Paisley St James when I get the space to complete the layout

Thoroughly enjoying this build.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ade, Ian - welcome to the thread.

Ian, I'm sure you are correct about posting on KL. Ade, I'm aware of the number of "likes" you've given - much appreciated.

Jeff

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Evening Jeff.

I've got various bits and bobs, layout-wise scattered, around. I even lost a layout once - never sure what happened to it. I'm nowhere near prolific Andy's efforts though.

But I've not run any trains for years. Lost the inclination.

Maybe one day...

Evening Peter.

Did you get your dog sorted?

I'm aware you have a past history of layouts -  maybe you were prolific in the 80s and 90s?

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

As a long-time lurker (and as you well know), I've been following your inspirational Settle & Carlisle based topics for many years now. 

IIRC, Jason introduced us and as I'm surrounded by shelves of reference books at home and at Kidderminster Museum, I'm always happy to help with (sometimes utterly useless!) bits of information by e-mail and the odd scribblings by post.

After working with the team who constructed Black Country Blues, I reverted to bringing my model of a short-line in New Mexico to a workable and very nearly presentable standard ('Once upon a time . . in the West' was displayed as a layout under construction at the Warley N.E.C. show - over 5 years ago!).  However, since then life got in the way and it has been stacked in my shed, waiting for the garage to be cleared and the inspiration to return.  

However, I've lots of sketches and plans for all sorts of smaller dioramas and on the top of this pile is 'The Contract': a diorama representing part of a railway under construction in the 1890s, complete with a steam navvy.  It has progressed as far as a couple of wooden display boxes, some poorly laid hand-built track and a model of a brick-built, accommodation under-bridge (built to plans measured and drawn from a local example).  Of course, all the bits are currently stacked in the shed opposite 'Once upon a time . . . in 1919'! 

All the locomotives and rolling stock for these two and from previous layout projects (Treneglos and Royton) are carefully catalogued and neatly arranged in their travelling cases.  I'm sure you know by now that, I must be one of the laziest railway modellers in the British Isles, but with all these books to look at and occasionally a scribble to produce, or a new project to research . . .  time passes so quickly. 

Then, there's always your rapid progress to follow on RMweb!

Take care my friend,

More power to your superb Das and grass!

All the very best,

John

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1