Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

Yes I’m an active modeller.  Extending a P4 layout (Origami Quarry) in my garage with a few friends and lots of wagons for a future EM layout (Penrhos Junction’s) of my own.  Penrhos did have 5 baseboards built with some track in P4 before I decided to give up P4 and first change to OO-SF then EM when RTR EM points became available.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Yes I’m an active modeller.  Extending a P4 layout (Origami Quarry) in my garage with a few friends and lots of wagons for a future EM layout (Penrhos Junction’s) of my own.  Penrhos did have 5 baseboards built with some track in P4 before I decided to give up P4 and first change to OO-SF then EM when RTR EM points became available.

I love the name of that layout, "Origami Quarry" - takes me back to my paper folding days as a kid.

I, too, have benefited from RTR EM turnouts. I think I'd have stuck with 00-SF if they hadn't been available, though a small voice in my ear tells me I'd still enjoy track building and learning Templot.

May be the case, but as John's (Old Gringo) previous post demonstrates, there just isn't time to try or do everything yourself!

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Jeff, can you  please repeat the Radius you have used on the Viaduct, I can't seem to find a reference to it.

Thanks in anticipation.

A.

You had me wondering if I'd actually mentioned a figure for the radius, during the build, though I knew I'd given specifics in the "article".

So, scampering back to page 6 of the thread, just as the viaduct commences - phew, it's there....

Right, Andy - the outer radius is 100 inches, the inner around 96 inches.

J.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

You had me wondering if I'd actually mentioned a figure for the radius, during the build, though I knew I'd given specifics in the "article".

So, scampering back to page 6 of the thread, just as the viaduct commences - phew, it's there....

Right, Andy - the outer radius is 100 inches, the inner around 96 inches.

J.

Cheers no wonder mine looks Shite on paper.:angry:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Physicsman said:

To date, that's 8 responses, with a high proportion of you actively building something. Adrian, it doesn't matter how glacial the build is, and you do post a fair bit on here (stop looking at my pics and get to work! Lol! :angel:)

If you can arrange (in no particular order) a new back, a substantial drop in temperature (34 degrees in there today), and for suppliers to be able to supply again, that'll do for starters and I'll gladly get back to work.:D

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers no wonder mine looks Shite on paper.:angry:

If it's any help, the KL 2 viaduct was about 60 inches. Given that was my first scratchbuild, I thought at the time 60" was pretty large. And it WAS perfectly ok - I should have just built another arch on each end. ..

If I'd done that, it would likely be in use on this layout.

Teaching you to suck eggs, but the GH viaduct could have been scaled back, even at 100" , if I hadn't insisted on building the arch height and width to proper scale.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, figworthy said:

If you can arrange (in no particular order) a new back, a substantial drop in temperature (34 degrees in there today), and for suppliers to be able to supply again, that'll do for starters and I'll gladly get back to work.:D

Adrian

Phew - Adrian, you've convinced me that all my added insulation is working. I only reached 26C.

Having said that, 3 hours in there was enough for me!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Phew - Adrian, you've convinced me that all my added insulation is working. I only reached 26C.

Having said that, 3 hours in there was enough for me!

Jeff

Times are in UTC, it was a bit warm even at the coolest point.

temp_today.png.05fba66ee82c44ad32730a687f4523f1.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, and I was concerned because the Bunker only got down to 19C overnight!

I think you need some air con in your railway room. Conversely, is it really cold in there during winter months? It does provide an excuse not to carry out any modelling....can you imagine railway modelling subject to Health and Safety/COSHH regulations with the warning: "Modelling in this room can be hazardous to your health"?

Our friends in Australia will think we are wimps, where temperatures there often reach 40C. No thanks!

J.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

By the way - as there have been so many posts on here in the last 24 hours....

My picture update is on the previous page (52) and my question about modelling is near the bottom of page 51, for anybody that's missed them.

Jeff

• Like 2

Our friends in Australia will think we are wimps, where temperatures there often reach 40C.

Yup. :)

You get get used to it to a certain degree, but never the extremes. Anyone who says they like the hot weather here is either somewhere else, or not in the middle of hot weather. 

Cheers, Neil

Edited by Neilgue
  • Like 2

On 09/07/2021 at 23:55, Physicsman said:

As long as Mark Cavendish wins another stage I can forgive the French their "crime" of copying Arten Gill!! :)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I haven't seen the TDF highlights mentioned and the route doesn't appear to go near La Ligne des Cévennes where the Chamborigaud Viaduct can be found but I'm guessing that was what the helicopter captured, see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamborigaud#/media/File:30_chamborigaud_via_2006.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamborigaud

This predates the Settle Carlisle structures by just a few years and rather out does them in terms of arches and setting I'm afraid, so not a copy (see my PM for more as I can't post it here). 

The journey on the entire line was covered in a  UK TV series "World's Most Scenic Railway Journeys S2 Ep6 - France" recently aired here. You have to cope with the hyper-sugary commentary but the views make up for it.

Charles Dombre built a number of amazing viaducts between Saint-Germain-des-Fossés and Nîmes. Now added to my bucket list for whenever.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 15:54, Physicsman said:

How many of you that post on here are active layout builders/have something long-term "on the go"?

And how many of you are passive onlookers, just watching developments - on this and other threads?

I had a layout on the go in the loft of my last house but have barely made a start planning baseboards at the new one since we moved nearly 6 years ago.  However, I've now finished building my observatory and I have half my double garage cleared now and have started on the boards so I'm hoping I'll be able to start up my own layout thread soon. As I mentioned months ago, it will be more or less based on Lazonby as my aunt had a cottage there and I spent many happy weekends in the area.  I'll have around 24' x 12' to play with and still leave enough space to work on my Landy.  

Graeme

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Evening Peter.

Did you get your dog sorted?

I'm aware you have a past history of layouts -  maybe you were prolific in the 80s and 90s?

Jeff

Taken him for a walk around 7.30 this morning. Shattered already (me, not the dog). It wasn't like this when we had a cat.

Jeff, I actually retire at the end of the week. Just hoping they don't offer me a post in another school for next year...

PS I think your ballasting looks very effective. Nice cess to it too. Love the subtle colouring.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Another answer to your question Jeff, I am intermittantly an active modeller, having just scratchbuilt a 1/72 scale Land Rover chassis, and a couple of sheds.

I do keep popping in here to look, but I don't often comment, as I'm sure you get bored of yet more "Wow, that's amazing" posts.

(BTW, it's amazing...)

Al.

• Like 3

Hi Jeff,

You posed an interesting survey question.  I thought I would reply to show that I actually read your request.

I am a (slow) active modeller in EM with a working layout (most of the time) covering the Morecambe to Heysham branch in BR days.  The almost finished first phase went to Leeds MRS exhibition in 2019, and I am working on the extended layout.

Unfortunately my other hobby is time-consuming - walking in the Dales.  Your inspiring modelling, and prototype photos, encourage me both to model and walk the hills.

Some might say walking the fells is a waste of good modelling time but it good for the body and soul.

Keep up the good work

Ian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I think you need some air con in your railway room. Conversely, is it really cold in there during winter months? It does provide an excuse not to carry out any modelling....can you imagine railway modelling subject to Health and Safety/COSHH regulations with the warning: "Modelling in this room can be hazardous to your health"?

Our friends in Australia will think we are wimps, where temperatures there often reach 40C. No thanks!

Down to 25 overnight, and peaked at 35.8 ~1700 today.

Air con has been considered a number of times, but rejected mainly on the grounds of the likely running costs (I don't have any hard figures, but the reaction always seems to be that it is expensive).

This year it has been down to 1.6 degrees (February).  Since May 2015 (when I started taking readings), It's varied between -0.7 (the Beast from the East) to 37.2 (August last year).

If anyone is interested, I've got a Raspberry Pi running with a BME280 attached to it, reading every minute.

Ah yes, our antipodean friends.  That reminds me of a conversation with a guy from Perth many years ago.  He was commenting that the temperatures had dropped to 20, so he was having to get some logs in for the fire.

Adrian

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

Down to 25 overnight, and peaked at 35.8 ~1700 today.

Air con has been considered a number of times, but rejected mainly on the grounds of the likely running costs (I don't have any hard figures, but the reaction always seems to be that it is expensive).

This year it has been down to 1.6 degrees (February).  Since May 2015 (when I started taking readings), It's varied between -0.7 (the Beast from the East) to 37.2 (August last year).

If anyone is interested, I've got a Raspberry Pi running with a BME280 attached to it, reading every minute.

Ah yes, our antipodean friends.  That reminds me of a conversation with a guy from Perth many years ago.  He was commenting that the temperatures had dropped to 20, so he was having to get some logs in for the fire.

Adrian

In my garage/ workshop I have two oil filled tubular bar heaters running 24/7 uses the same current as a 60watt light bulb but in winter is enough to keep paper work and tools dry - with out it tools went rusty and paperwork got damp 

Edited by John Besley
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, peach james said:

I have Long Martin, but haven’t done that much with it in the last year.  My Mojo took a beating…(not just modeling).

It happens, James, and there are times when looking at a model railway can make you scream. I remember the "thing" I was building between 2004 and 2010. The door to the train room didn't open for months on end at one point.

Hope it's cooled down a bit, out your way.

J.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/07/2021 at 15:54, Physicsman said:

In the absence of any comments/questions/general information, can I ask a question? This is for my own interest, nothing more.

How many of you that post on here are active layout builders/have something long-term "on the go"?

And how many of you are passive onlookers, just watching developments - on this and other threads?

I'm not being judgemental, as everyone is entitled to be as involved in modelling as much or as little as they please.

Jeff

I did some modelling up to about 45 years ago , then life took off in different directions.  Family came along and what little money was available had to be spent on priorities rather than indulgencies. :notme:

I have never returned to modelling, partly because I am not artistic enough to do the scenery and the price of models and equipment would mean giving up other interests.

Why am I here on RMweb?

Because I admire the craftmanship and dedication that goes into many of these layouts and I really enjoy seeing how different people approach their individual subjects.

Why am I here on this thread?

Because there is some bonkers bloke who casts little stones and individually places them on the biggest man made Fell in the UK.  Seriously, IMO Jeff you are a very good modeller who can put the railway in the landscape rather than fit the landscape around the railway.

Then there is that Bodgit fella who moved down sarf (to get away from that Fell falling on his Derbyshire home?) who is a prolific layout builder with the knack of createing interesting layouts in any gauge.

What about Kevin at Little Muddle?  Fantastic modelling of the highest order.

The list could go on but there is only so much time I can spend in front of a computer looking at all these topics.  Sometimes I need to get out and report about the goings on at Werrington Junction, yes, another thread on RMweb and that is what makes RMweb such a nice diverse community and the place to be if railways are your interest.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening Mick.

Luckily I just caught your comments, almost "hot off the press", and appreciate what you've said.

As you know, my primary interest is the landscape, especially with some of the structures the railway added in. Bodge has a genuine interest in the railways themselves and, although I'm a lot more informed than I used to be, I'd be happy to build the landscape even if only one loco ever, occasionally, tootled around it.

I look at very few layouts - not out of ignorance, but because it scares me to have too MANY ideas to play with. I'll just plod along in my own, insane way!!

Thanks again for your comments. Irrespective of your lack of layout, your perceptive observations over the years have been very helpful (top of page 126 of KL2 always comes to mind, along with that pic of your scout badges!)

Jeff

• Like 2

I can't think who that Bodgit chap might be.:D

Yesterday I had a visit from Stu, @Stubby47all the way up from glorious Cornwall.  He requested a meet and to see Seven Mills whilst in Am Sher and had a couple of hours to spare. It was like my visit to your good self in 2011 Jeff, and felt like I'd known him for years. He came up with some really good ideas for my next project and for that I thank him, and now look forward to meeting again at Shows in neutral ground somewhere between Amp Sher and the West Country.

Today I have a visit from 4 more Webbers who want to visit before Seven Mills finally gets sold on, and so I'm looking forward to that tonight.

And again yesterday, I had another call from a chap on here who has requested a visitaion to see Seven Mills, and that will happen on Wednesday.

Again, like your invitation for me to Visit you and KL1 back in 2011, and subsequently my visit to Jason @Jason T to see Bacup, R M Web brings people together and also has the side benefit of knowledge and guidance, so people may look at threads, but may not always comment, but most are getting ideas and are being inspired to do something possibly beyond their comfort zone.

I have also been to Tony Wrights @Tony Wrightto see Little Bytham, and was made so warmly welcome by his wife Mo and himself.

The same on an invitation to Sheffield Exchange in the hands of Clive, @Clive Mortimore near Loth, another great day, great company and some more ideas on different aspects of the hobby.

Thanks must go to Andy @Andy Y  for bringing so many people together

Keep Modelling.

Keep the pics coming.

Keep us inspired Jeff.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2