Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

With fear of this being labelled an Oscars winning Speech, Thanks must also go to Mick, @Donington Road who helped me a few years ago when I had some issues, he knows what I'm talking about, and his help was most valuable.

Like wise, Rich, @MarshLane who again contacted me after my Stroke and offered help, again, great bloke and thanks for the offer.

Peter, @PeterBB, who, again after my Stroke came around to TOPS and helped me out on more than one occasion. 

Finally a mention for the late Gordon S who we sadly lost last week, another who contacted me with help and advice when I started Point building for the Bitton project.

There are probably many more that I have missed, but I thank them all from the bottom of my heart, I love you all, God bless America.:o:laugh:

That's the reason people like us, like R M Web.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Evening Mick.

Thanks again for your comments. Irrespective of your lack of layout, your perceptive observations over the years have been very helpful (top of page 126 of KL2 always comes to mind, along with that pic of your scout badges!)

Jeff

How on earth do you remember such things?  That was five years ago :scared: , even I had to go searching for that post.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

How on earth do you remember such things?  That was five years ago :scared: , even I had to go searching for that post.

I remember it Mick because it's a good example, as Andy has just summarised, of the ways in which people can have a really profound, positive effect with their advice and support.

I made the choice to modify KL and to go EM off my own bat. But the modifications, and the change of gauge were good ideas subliminally set in motion by comments made by yourself and by Jason. It's easy to remember key points like this. My all-time favourite was the wake-up call I got when building the first cutting adjacent to the viaduct on KL. My effort was described as "sh1te" by Jason, and his continued constructive comments raised my game.

RMweb sometimes receive negative press because of the attitude of certain members - either perceived as being elitist or because of their trolling. I've never had any problems on here - one person spat his dummy out (twice) a few years back - and the contributions of people to my threads have been immense.

Thanks to Andy for his Oscar-winners speech(es) and I apologise for not being as good a contributor on other threads as you gang are on here. Thanks for answering my "survey" question - more replies are welcome - the feedback has been very interesting.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2021 at 15:54, Physicsman said:

How many of you that post on here are active layout builders/have something long-term "on the go"?

And how many of you are passive onlookers, just watching developments - on this and other threads?

I seem to spend more time virtual modelling these days - where is 2021 going by the way? We're half way thru!  Somebody said lockdown would go slow ... but it seems like a month or two back that it was March last year ... mind you February last year with a normal life seems bl**dy ages ago!

I am slowly progressing with my Rock Creek Canyon (N Gauge) small layout (see signature for anyone interested) and I have just written an article for one of the magazines on the plans and proposals for a new small P4 finescale narrow gauge layout, which is now underway.  The latter will really be testbed for some different ways of building and connecting baseboards, with the aim of making them lighter and easier to store - once the concepts are proven, the idea is to rebuild the two end boards of Rock Creek ... so there is method in the madness.

On 16/07/2021 at 23:30, Physicsman said:

Hopefully, there'll be a few more responses. I don't have any reason for my question, other than my genuine curiosity. And can I apologise if any of you have threads on RMW - I have to admit that, other than posting on here, I spend very little time looking at the Forum. I certainly value all of the feedback I get, especially when I come up with one of my classic "Jeff clangers". If you spot something, please don't grin and bear it - tell me off! :)

Despicable behaviour Jeff .. working your heart out on little fell stones and not spending 24 hours a day catching up on what anyone else is doing .. god, you'll be expecting us to follow you next! Oh, what do you mean you thought that's what we did ... ah well in that case :) 

It is true tho, modelling time can rapidly vanish thanks to rmWeb, but equally it can spur us all on, fill in a dull five minutes at work, or help us find our mojo when we misplace it - especially with threads like yours mate.

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Like wise, Rich, @MarshLane who again contacted me after my Stroke and offered help, again, great bloke and thanks for the offer.

Finally a mention for the late Gordon S who we sadly lost last week, another who contacted me with help and advice when I started Point building for the Bitton project.

Your more than welcome Andy. I must try and touch base with you towards the end of the week, as I am conscious we are due a quick catch up! I have to say I was very sad and sorry to hear the news about Gordon. He had battled so well for several weeks I was gaining a little bit of hope, but while they say no news is good news, the lack of an update was concerning me.  Lovely guy who gave so much to the hobby and rmWeb - both through is thread and other support (if you've read Andy Y's response). He and I had a few conversations about point building when I started in 7mm.  One just hope's he's able to enjoy the locos steaming around his now fully finished layout wherever he is.

Jeff - keep up the good work ... thy is do'in well lad as they say up 'ere. :)

Rich

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Is it just me or has this thread morphed into some kind of corporate team building exercise where we all have to introduce ourselves to the group? It made me laugh to think back to some of the awful management courses I used to have to do.

But seriously, I have been lurking around KL for some years only commenting very rarely. In doing so I have come to know the names of a lot of the regular participants without ever really knowing who they are and what they do. It has been interesting to hear a little bit about what some of the other participants get up to. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Neilgue said:

Is it just me or has this thread morphed into some kind of corporate team building exercise where we all have to introduce ourselves to the group? It made me laugh to think back to some of the awful management courses I used to have to do.

But seriously, I have been lurking around KL for some years only commenting very rarely. In doing so I have come to know the names of a lot of the regular participants without ever really knowing who they are and what they do. It has been interesting to hear a little bit about what some of the other participants get up to. 

Neil, good point.

The thread continues, as ever. To be honest, I felt things had gone very quiet - aside from when I posted some pics - and AndyP felt the same with his Seven Mills layout thread. Hence my question, both to find out what people were up to and to stimulate a bit of discussion.

You're correct - I've known a lot of the people on this thread for around 10 years. I've met, probably, a dozen of them. Funny how, at times, the modelling seems almost irrelevant. Yourself and Colin in Melbourne, Scott in Perth,  James in western Canada, all seem like good friends, despite the distance.

Thanks to the Forum for this.

More railway pics in a couple of days! :)

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

You're correct - I've known a lot of the people on this thread for around 10 years. I've met, probably, a dozen of them. Funny how, at times, the modelling seems almost irrelevant. Yourself and Colin in Melbourne, Scott in Perth,  James in western Canada, all seem like good friends, despite the distance.

Jeff

Well we know where your going on holiday when the Covid restrictions lift Jeff :P  Are you going East to Oz first, or west to Canada :sarcastichand:

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Neilgue said:

That’s reminded me of when my employer got taken over and I drove a car load up to what became known as the mothership to get to know people up there. We all sat round the bored table and had to introduce ourselves.

One of my colleagues was recounting her career history and said  “ prior to then I was with MI6 but I can’t talk about that”   The room went silent and we moved on.

imagine the stick I took on the way home when I said “I didn’t know you worked for MI6”

7 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

One of my colleagues was recounting her career history and said  “ prior to then I was with MI6 but I can’t talk about that”   The room went silent and we moved on.

When hbos got taken over by lloyds our new southern colleagues came up to Scotland to meet us.  One of my new teammates announced that he'd spent time in a greek jail for planespotting. :)

Graeme

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jacko said:

When hbos got taken over by lloyds our new southern colleagues came up to Scotland to meet us.  One of my new teammates announced that he'd spent time in a greek jail for planespotting. :)

Graeme

It could have been worse ... could have been behind the iron curtain train spotting...

• RMweb Premium

Update...

I've been working on the goods yard area for the last few days, so static grass has - temporarily - been banished from the modelling "diet".

Not so for the DAS, a very useful material for crapping up little-used rail areas, such as headshunts and lie-by lines.

The heat is restricting my Bunker habitation to 2-3 hours a day. I'll post some (pretty boring) pics of where I stand, probably on Saturday.

In the meantime, following the batch of replies to my activity question, the last set of pics - from the dim and distant past of last Saturday - are on page 52.

Jeff

• Like 3

Jeff we have been dodging the club due to the heat so I know how you feel. It's too hot to work on layouts when the heat is on you. Our clubrooms are in the top of a mill & it bakes you to a crisp!

Whilst my workshop is in the house & south facing & gets hot, Cowgill is in the garage so stays a constant 10 degrees. It's been a god send on this night shift I am doing I'm now sleeping in the garage with the layout, first thing I see when I get up is the Settle & Carlisle. Saying that I open the garage door & the real S&C is in front of me too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Rhb Simon said:

Jeff we have been dodging the club due to the heat so I know how you feel. It's too hot to work on layouts when the heat is on you. Our clubrooms are in the top of a mill & it bakes you to a crisp!

Whilst my workshop is in the house & south facing & gets hot, Cowgill is in the garage so stays a constant 10 degrees. It's been a god send on this night shift I am doing I'm now sleeping in the garage with the layout, first thing I see when I get up is the Settle & Carlisle. Saying that I open the garage door & the real S&C is in front of me too.

You wouldn't be fortunate enough to live in Cowgill, or Dentdale, would you?

In close proximity to my favourite viaduct!

Enjoy your new sleeping accommodation. But watch it, your wife may put you out there permanently with the dog! :(:(

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
On 20/07/2021 at 08:46, Andrew P said:

Thanks must go to Andy @Andy Y  for bringing so many people together

That's the easy bit; keeping some of 'em apart is a different kettle of fish.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2021 at 15:54, Physicsman said:

In the absence of any comments/questions/general information, can I ask a question? This is for my own interest, nothing more.

How many of you that post on here are active layout builders/have something long-term "on the go"?

And how many of you are passive onlookers, just watching developments - on this and other threads?

I'm not being judgemental, as everyone is entitled to be as involved in modelling as much or as little as they please.

My efforts have pretty much ground to a halt. It was always a "get started on something I won't have room for now" anyway, and I'm not going to have. The long-term plan is to get the cellar in to a useable state and re-plan with the space I've got there. So far what I've done has been a very useful for learning though, and I'm sure I can do a rather better job (of some of it!) if restarting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

My efforts have pretty much ground to a halt. It was always a "get started on something I won't have room for now" anyway, and I'm not going to have. The long-term plan is to get the cellar in to a useable state and re-plan with the space I've got there. So far what I've done has been a very useful for learning though, and I'm sure I can do a rather better job (of some of it!) if restarting.

Simon, very good to hear from you on here. I've noticed your name popping up on a few other threads - on the Home page index - and I wondered how you were getting on. 

I "used" the original KL (though I never realised I was doing it!) to "skill up" and try out a few ideas. Bit of an extravagance, but plenty of people set me straight and I learned a lot. It'd be good to see your thread chugging along on here - we can always nag you, if you really want us to!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That's the easy bit; keeping some of 'em apart is a different kettle of fish.

I think that some  of them contribute the aggro just to wind you up!

Having said that, and I may be totally wrong here, the Forum seems a much quieter place than it was, say, 5 years ago. Maybe some of the bigger "egos" have gone elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Physicsman said:

You wouldn't be fortunate enough to live in Cowgill, or Dentdale, would you?

In close proximity to my favourite viaduct!

Enjoy your new sleeping accommodation. But watch it, your wife may put you out there permanently with the dog! :(:(

Jeff

Unfortunately not Jeff, I would love to live that high up but the wife is more of a towny. She couldn't cope with me out the house, she is doing her nut that I am doing a week of nights.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A few pics, as promised. The goods shed (DAS-basedfrom 2017) is still incomplete - as is mark II (2018, Wills sheet) - and is just sat roughly in place to keep it out of the way of the ongoing grime wave.

Views up and down the track and a close-up of ongoing rodding....

Jeff

20210723_224330 crop.jpg

20210723_224259 crop.jpg

20210723_224310 crop.jpg

20210723_224716.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Top work as always Jeff.

Have you already built the signal box? A recycled one from KL1 or 2, or is that a building still to be constructed? 

Steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Top work as always Jeff.

Have you already built the signal box? A recycled one from KL1 or 2, or is that a building still to be constructed? 

Steve

Hi Steve.

Hope you are enjoying/enjoyed your holiday.

I'll send you a PM, should be with you in about 20 minutes.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Rich, the stools and cranks are MSE. You can get them for 4mm and 7mm. The rods are 0.4mm diameter nickel silver wire.

All available from Wizard Models, Humberside.

Online shop has everything well set-out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1