Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Might plastic be a better idea for the rodding where it runs under the rails?

Hi Simon.

Just caught your post as I came in for a coffee break!

We discussed this very thing on the KL2 thread - have a look at page 185.

This time, I've left the plastic webbing under areas of the track where the rodding goes, so there's an automatic plastic shield in place.

However, for places where a link under the track between 2 cranks exists I've joined the cranks with some thicker (1 mm) plastic rod, as it looks better - especially when grimed. I've attached a pic, just taken, to show a bit of the rodding I did yesterday. The plastic rod is still in its "native" grey state!

Jeff

20210726_132634.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Simon.

Just caught your post as I came in for a coffee break!

We discussed this very thing on the KL2 thread - have a look at page 185.

That's probably why I thought of it then - I usually can't remember where I picked up ideas from!

Glad to be back here, I must remember to pop in more from now on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Reorte said:

That's probably why I thought of it then - I usually can't remember where I picked up ideas from!

Glad to be back here, I must remember to pop in more from now on.

AND you'll be pleased to hear that Dave Franks at Lanarkshire Models is still doing the Heavy Duty Midland buffer stop that you campaigned for a few years back.

He's casting some this week, so I should get my order soon, then I can fix a couple in place.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes it's best to change things a little.....

Having spent over a day on the lie-by, ballasting and griming, it wasn't up-to-scratch. So bye-bye.....

20210726_190933.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Physicsman said:

AND you'll be pleased to hear that Dave Franks at Lanarkshire Models is still doing the Heavy Duty Midland buffer stop that you campaigned for a few years back.

He's casting some this week, so I should get my order soon, then I can fix a couple in place.

I was on to that as soon as he had it available! IIRC he said he'd even used the one at Kirkby Stephen (now sadly gone) for his model. I think there was only one at Kirkby Stephen, as far as I can tell the rest of them were standard LMS buffer stops by the 1960s. I always knew it would turn up though since he said he needed one for his layout - always handy when someone who makes stuff needs what you do :)

• RMweb Premium

Yes, very handy!

Clear photographic evidence for the heavy one in the lie-by headshunt (KL2, bottom of page 201). I initially fitted one into the cattle dock, but Dave's post on KL2 (also page 201) showed this to be wrong and a standard went in.

The order may be here today, so when I've re-done the lie-by (ripped out yesterday) I'll fit one.

Hope your enthusiasm is on the rise. Do you still have that lovely cat you showed pics of a few years back?

J.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Yes, very handy!

Clear photographic evidence for the heavy one in the lie-by headshunt (KL2, bottom of page 201). I initially fitted one into the cattle dock, but Dave's post on KL2 (also page 201) showed this to be wrong and a standard went in.

The order may be here today, so when I've re-done the lie-by (ripped out yesterday) I'll fit one.

Hope your enthusiasm is on the rise. Do you still have that lovely cat you showed pics of a few years back?

The headshunt was the one I think he used; it was clearly visible from the platform anyway. I remember the cattle dock discussion, and I've a recollection of photos from all the others (end of lie by, both sidiings, and headshunt at the other end) were all the LMS / BR ones, but they'd have had to have been Midland ones at some stage - IIRC there was a discussion about the change in the KL2 thread (IIRC one of the originals got destroyed?), probably exactly where you're talking about (I should read before I post!) Of course Gill Head is a bit more flexible.

The enthusiasm is waiting for the cellar to be made inhabitable, then it'll be best to start again. When winter rolls around I may go back to doing a couple more anhydrite hoppers. Come to think of it now's a good time to try the airbrush out I bought years ago. I wasn't happy with the brush finish on the one I've painted. There's a plan for the weekend!

Amy (the cat) is still doing very well thanks, no more week-long disappearances thankfully. She's been loving the hot weather, there's a porch on the back of the house that gets unbearable when the sun's on it but she'll be in there when it's like that (she can get out no problem), either stretched out on the doormat or in a convenient cardboard box perched where she can keep an eye out through the window.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, I can "cheat" a bit on GH, but I'm keeping the station/goods area almost the same as KL.

I'll put a heavy buffer on the far headshunt and modify the cattle dock arrangement. The latter was heavily discussed around page 100 on KL2 and I'll come back to it when I have to do something in a couple of months time. All I'll say now is that I'm going to style it the way Derek (MrKirtley) did on his Canal Road layout (photo on page 102, KL2 thread).

Cats do really thrive in the heat - how they can sleep in direct sunlight is beyond me.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A day on from the lie-by "rip out", the replacement is in place and, literally, just grimed.

Ballasting tomorrow.

Some pics. Not pretty. Not scenic. No pretty locos or evocative situations.... If you don't want to see them, let me know and I'll stop posting them.

20210727_232109 crop.jpg

20210727_232137 crop.jpg

20210727_232128 crop.jpg

20210727_232229 crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Neilgue said:

Of course we want them. 

I think you say things like that just to get a rise out of us. “Feeding the chooks”, as  one of our former state premiers used to say…

Neil, I'll send you a PM to explain why it's not to get a rise...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Keep posting Jeff - it’s all about the journey not the destination! Also I think it’s encouraging to see a modeller prepared to undo work when they feel it can be better.  I’m only at the beginnings of my model and I’ve already had several moments of ‘do I scrap this’

Good stuff mate!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for "Keep the pictures coming" please (unless they're becoming a real pain to do or there's some other reason you'd prefer to post less frequently).  

It's great watching the progress you're making (and the occasional re-thinks). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Definitely pro pics here Jeff.

Indeed, I would like to see what what went "wrong" with the layby. Knowing

what doesn't work is as useful as knowing what does.

I'm pretty sure that, from my viewpoint, what you find doesn't work, won't work.

However what works   for you may, but quite possibly , may not for me!

Keep it up

TONY

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments.

I can assure you, I am NOT trying to solicit posts on here. And I know people appreciate the pics and progress reports. They are certainly no effort to put together, but I have reasons for the comment which may get discussed at some later date.

Tony, the reason the lie-by was replaced was twofold. First, and most significantly, I really didn't like the look of the cinder ballast - too dark, and difficult to tone down / lighten. Second, I'd built the lie-by on a cork underlay, as for the main line. Most people use cork - so I'm led to believe - to deaden the sound of running locos. Everyone I know uses it to raise the track to allow for a good ballast shoulder. I decided things would look better without a ballast shoulder, so out came the track! Hope that makes some kind of sense?

The annoyance is that the original lie-by was wired-up and in full working order. But if something is nagging at you then it has to be sorted. Jay's comment (above) set me thinking - I wonder how many people just leave things because they can't be bothered to do it again?

If I can test your patience, the best example in my modelling "career" was with the KL2 layout. When built, the distance between the up main line and the goods loop was set at "6 foot". With the Midland double slip in place it really ought to have been a "10 foot", and a number of people - rightly (though I ignored them for a year!!) - nagged me about it. In the end it annoyed me so much that things had to change. So the whole goods area was re-done. THEN, a few days after doing this, an even bigger background nag - my liking for wider EM track - finally got the better of me, and the WHOLE arrangement of 00 track was ripped up and replaced. Around page 120 of the KL2 thread, if you're interested in my insanity.

But you know I'm nuts, anyway. Must go with the territory - Andy P regularly builds and gets rid of his layouts so he can build the next one....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....hey, wake up! That's it - I'm off to do some ballasting. There may be some pics in a day or so - IF anyone is interested. :P:beee::nono:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2021 at 07:54, Physicsman said:

In the absence of any comments/questions/general information, can I ask a question? This is for my own interest, nothing more.

How many of you that post on here are active layout builders/have something long-term "on the go"?

And how many of you are passive onlookers, just watching developments - on this and other threads?

I'm not being judgemental, as everyone is entitled to be as involved in modelling as much or as little as they please.

Jeff

Hi Jeff. yes!!! Of course, when I'm not out in the woods with the dogs, milling up lumber, fixing up our house (and other peoples) I'm modeling. Goathland is showing its age a bit now and needs  a scenery make-over...

DSCF2422.JPG.3e55caa7cf92ab409896f12a21395f46.JPG

Pottyshire is the fictional end of of Goathland...

DSCF2424.JPG.1bfd636be8e09ab9969424d380151f2d.JPG

Queensbury is coming on along quite well now...

DSCF2417.JPG.24c1a3ee334bfeeec3bfe2a8963d785f.JPG

...all of which has been scratch built!!!

DSCF2425.JPG.366c5e693a49bfa647851e3b62cd0cd4.JPG

Bradford Exchange is still in it's infancy...

DSCF2423.JPG.f2f7ceac4044c45287b8bf0efb3be731.JPG

...and my "yet-to-be-named'" mill town has but one section started. Although many mills have been constructed for it.

I also have a small GWR exhibition layout (Dunster) that lives in the loft.      

And. When I'm not doing that I scratch build rolling stock!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/07/2021 at 12:21, Andrew P said:

Jeff, can you  please repeat the Radius you have used on the Viaduct, I can't seem to find a reference to it.

Thanks in anticipation.

A.

On 17/07/2021 at 12:47, Physicsman said:

You had me wondering if I'd actually mentioned a figure for the radius, during the build, though I knew I'd given specifics in the "article".

So, scampering back to page 6 of the thread, just as the viaduct commences - phew, it's there....

Right, Andy - the outer radius is 100 inches, the inner around 96 inches.

J.

About nine and a half chains then!:sungum:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looking at your wonderful pics a few days ago got me thinking, and so yesterday after I'd finished boxing up and posting all the O Gauge parcels of Sold Stock I got some lengths of track out to see how near I could copy your example of one long flowing curve, rather than the revers curve that I had with Kings Moreton. And, to my surprise,  even though I only have 7ft in width, I was please to see I could get the main run on a full arc the length of my POD, (15FT) and I'm still hoping to incorporate a Viaduct, so the pics above were very useful as a kick up the rear.

The Cess that we discussed privately was the right move, and for what its worth, I would have done the same as you, at that point. You cant leave anything that YOU KNOW is going to bug you for many years to come.

Keep up the good work mate.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Tony, the reason the lie-by was replaced was twofold. First, and most significantly, I really didn't like the look of the cinder ballast - too dark, and difficult to tone down / lighten. Second, I'd built the lie-by on a cork underlay, as for the main line. Most people use cork - so I'm led to believe - to deaden the sound of running locos. Everyone I know uses it to raise the track to allow for a good ballast shoulder. I decided things would look better without a ballast shoulder, so out came the track! Hope that makes some kind of sense?

The difference in level will be one of those little details that people might not actively notice but can make quite a bit of subconscious difference.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I've attached a few "lower level" views of the lie by. 

This has been ballasted and grimed (quite a bit of other stuff has, too) and has received a couple of washes of a diluted burnt umber/grey acrylic mix. It'll need another 3 or 4 treatments before I'm happy with it, but at least I have control over how dark it can get, unlike the dark cinders ballast I tried earlier this week.

Jeff

IMG_8489 crop.jpg

IMG_8494 crop.jpg

IMG_8493 crop.jpg

IMG_8495 crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Shaun, since I noticed you'd just been on here...

Bl**dy hell man, I think I have a reasonable modelling mojo. But how on earth do you have time to scratchbuild all that lot, doing all the non-rail stuff as well?

Good to see you on here. Hope all is well now that US politics is on your side (I think you'll understand without me saying more).

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1