Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Your doing well Jeff .. I think any lack of comment on photographs is purely us being speechless :)

I'll usually comment when I have something to say or ask, but there are far more knowledgable people on most topics than me .. but if you need help on stonewalling there is a chap on here whose reasonably good at it :P I am sure he'd chip in an help.....

Seriously, I have been studying the pictures that your friend drew up for the point rodding and they are a wonderful tool to work from and ensure everything looks (and would probably work prototypically too!). It has given me an incentive for when I get to that point that it would be worth doing the same thing, especially as I am planning on having a ScaleFour lever frame to work the layout, albeit activating servos through a MERG CAN bus, but I am probably getting too technical now.

Please keep posting the photos tho, its great to see them and see your progress and just sit back and marvel at what your achieving.

Rich

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

I always feel a bit tentative on commenting on your thread Jeff, unless I have something constructive or useful to say. I really don't like adding another "That's wonderful" comment, as it just fills up the thread with little point. However, I'm also aware that on my own thread, if I post something, and get loads of likes, but nobody actually comments, it can feel a bit lonely... :O It's a delicate balance, and not one I always get right.

Al

Al, you've summed it up precisely.

My only guilt is that I hardly ever look at any other layout threads, so apologies for all the "it's wonderfuls" I've missed putting on YOUR thread! :)

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Your doing well Jeff .. I think any lack of comment on photographs is purely us being speechless :)

I'll usually comment when I have something to say or ask, but there are far more knowledgable people on most topics than me .. but if you need help on stonewalling there is a chap on here whose reasonably good at it :P I am sure he'd chip in an help.....

Seriously, I have been studying the pictures that your friend drew up for the point rodding and they are a wonderful tool to work from and ensure everything looks (and would probably work prototypically too!). It has given me an incentive for when I get to that point that it would be worth doing the same thing, especially as I am planning on having a ScaleFour lever frame to work the layout, albeit activating servos through a MERG CAN bus, but I am probably getting too technical now.

Please keep posting the photos tho, its great to see them and see your progress and just sit back and marvel at what your achieving.

Rich

Thanks, Rich.

I think the reason why I'm sensitive to (lack of) comments is because - in general - the people on here are a VERY knowledgeable bunch. I have a limited experience of the prototype RAILWAY, being far more focussed on the landscape it passes through. I'm not bothered about getting the little things wrong (which I certainly do - "artistic licence"), but rely on viewers to spot any howlers.

Don't worry about the technobabble. You clearly enjoy that aspect of your modelling, whereas I'd rather build a viaduct. Neither approach is better than the other. At the end of the day, you can't beat the feeling of having done (even if it's just your own opinion) a good job of something!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

but if you need help on stonewalling there is a chap on here whose reasonably good at it

Was this a veiled reference to the Great wall of Ladmanlow? :D

Al.

• Like 3

Jeff sorry to learn about your concern about the 'lack of comments'. I have followed you faithfully since you embarked on KL2 because like you I admire the scenery that your line is set in. I don't comment unless I feel I have something  that  will be of benefit to that. Hope that helps.

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

I think the reason why I'm sensitive to (lack of) comments is because............

I had simply ran out of words that could describe what an incredible job you're doing and didn't want to post the same 'one liner'

.......the people on here are a VERY knowledgeable bunch

not all of us :blush:

I have a limited experience of the prototype RAILWAY

I have a limited knowledge of............almost every aspect of Railways :lol:

I'm not bothered about getting the little things wrong

I say I'm not but secretly I am, more so when they're not pointed out until everything is glued in place and I think I've done a good job

I'd rather build a viaduct. Neither approach is better than the other. At the end of the day, you can't beat the feeling of having done (even if it's just your own opinion) a good job of something!

If I could build a viaduct a tenth a good as yours I'd be happy! it truly is a masterpiece and I hope you're proud of it because you have every right to be!

52 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Was this a veiled reference to the Great wall of Ladmanlow? :D

Al.

If it is, being described as 'reasonably good' is a vast understatement ;)

Edited by chuffinghell
smelling and grandma
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I had simply ran out of words that could describe what an incredible job you're doing and didn't want to post the same 'one liner'

not all of us :blush:

I have a limited knowledge of............almost every aspect of Railways :lol:

I say I'm not but secretly I am, more so when they're not pointed out until everything is glued in place and I think I've done a good job

If I could build a viaduct a tenth a good as yours I'd be happy! it truly is a masterpiece and I hope you're proud of it because you have every right to be!

If it is, being described as 'reasonably good' is a vast understatement ;)

Chris, that was a masterpiece of a post and deserves much more than one "like". We are all on a learning curve and the number of truly excellent modellers on here keeps the rest of us humble and aspirational.

The support and encouragement of those looking at the threads - virtual (hello, lurkers) or through specific comments - keeps us ALL going.

I've said enough about this, and I'm pleased that others feel the same. Time for me to shut up now.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

You said in a pm that you'd been busy but not posted, I didn't expect it to be this quiet Jeff.

I / we / my friends and I, have all looked, and I don't think I can get a Viaduct into my new project, so I will have to make do with coming on here at regular intervals to dribble and drool over the masterpiece that is Gill Head.

I need pics to help me sleep and dream:P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

You said in a pm that you'd been busy but not posted, I didn't expect it to be this quiet Jeff.

I / we / my friends and I, have all looked, and I don't think I can get a Viaduct into my new project, so I will have to make do with coming on here at regular intervals to dribble and drool over the masterpiece that is Gill Head.

I need pics to help me sleep and dream:P

I / WE ..... is that the Royal We, Andy?....

Yep, quiet on here as I haven't posted anything for 3 days. Maybe nobody noticed - and I'm certainly very busy in the Bunker. Not sure when the next update will be - maybe when I've finished.

Will PM again.

J.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators

My problem is that I only seem to get chance to catch up once a week but it's always worth it - hence the back-dated like pressing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

My problem is that I only seem to get chance to catch up once a week but it's always worth it - hence the back-dated like pressing.

Much appreciated, Andy. I know people are busy and, to be honest, I post on here because I enjoy doing so. The feedback is an added bonus, especially if it points out something I've missed or suggests an idea.

J.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Without doubt, that track is looking really good. Has a proper "Midland" feel to it all.

Re-buffer stops Jeff, don't forget that the MR were also partial to sleeper-built ones too. They were probably cheaper than rail-built ones - just a sleeper construction filled with dirt, ballast, whatever. An additional (prototype) advantage was that they would provide some cushioning if stock ran into them.

Anyway, back to the Fells with our Border Collie. I trust a model of "Ace" will appear on your layout...

P1220030 (2).JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Peter, just looked in. 

If I can find a small border collie-type model I'll call it Ace and put it on!

Just built two platforms and done some griming. I'm pleased with the way the track is going - I remember you once saying you didn't mind ballasting, and I'm the same. Trying to get the balance of grottiness around the track is tricky, but fun.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Zpellllkchekkkkkkkkerrrrrrrrrr
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Re your earlier comment on feedback, or the lack off, I find what your creating fascinating while I work in 7/8ths more or less live steam or 16.5mm 7/8ths minimum gauge railways was drawn to your topic by the viaduct and scenery, there must be dozens of other topics to follow but life is short.... the other one I follow avidly is Little Muddle 

Keep up the good work

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers John.

Little Muddle is a masterpiece and is one of the layout threads I occasionally look at.

Which reminds me - at some point I really need to learn how to make trees!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Cheers John.

Little Muddle is a masterpiece and is one of the layout threads I occasionally look at.

Jeff

Little Muddle is inspirational to many on here, me included

As far as trees go looking at what you’ve done so far I don’t think you’ll have any problem making them

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers John.

Jeff

Wind swept S&C... how many trees will you need?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Ah, John, I think it's more a case of wanting a challenge, even if it's only to stick a tree on a diorama. Bit like the old question to mountaineers: "Why on Earth do you risk your life climbing ridiculously high peaks?" 

"Because it's there"

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Little Muddle is inspirational to many on here, me included

As far as trees go looking at what you’ve done so far I don’t think you’ll have any problem making them

Chris

You have a lot of confidence in me, Chris. I'm sure I could make things easier for myself by looking at what others have done before trying to make a lot of it up myself. But in this case I think a study of a few YouTube vids will be in order.

As John said (above), they may not be relevant to the S&C, but it's always something I've wanted to have a go at. It was that attitude that drove me to build my first viaduct about 10 years ago, and it'll be a bit of fun!

Jeff

4 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Cheers John.

Little Muddle is a masterpiece and is one of the layout threads I occasionally look at. Agreed!

Jeff

To Start: Find somebody with some very old Lavender bushes in need of a hard prune. They give the most realistic skeleton frameworks at about the correct scale (even for EM!); pity you're not nearer as I have plenty spare here!

Colin

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, John Besley said:

He'll need at least one lonely Mountain Ash high on the moors in a stretch of limestone pavement. 

Graeme

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great piece in the Sept edition of BRM featuring your viaduct building, Jeff. It's good to know a wider audience will get to see your masterpiece. What's next, a masterclass on drystone wall construction?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jacko said:

He'll need at least one lonely Mountain Ash high on the moors in a stretch of limestone pavement. 

Graeme

Oh to have a huge room to create a limestone pavement feature! With the viaduct 50 feet away in the distance and the trail of the lonesome pine, oops sorry, ash in evidence!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Great piece in the Sept edition of BRM featuring your viaduct building, Jeff. It's good to know a wider audience will get to see your masterpiece. What's next, a masterclass on drystone wall construction?

I've kept very quiet about that Jonathan, waiting to see when information would be released about the publication. Is the magazine out, or have you been given advanced info?

I know the article is in the September issue and was sent a PDF of the article, as presented. Most of the stuff I gave Andy Y is in there, but only runs to 3 pages. A bit of a "taster" of how to build it, I think.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I've kept very quiet about that Jonathan, waiting to see when information would be released about the publication. Is the magazine out, or have you been given advanced info?

I know the article is in the September issue and was sent a PDF of the article, as presented. Most of the stuff I gave Andy Y is in there, but only runs to 3 pages. A bit of a "taster" of how to build it, I think.

Jeff

Well done and well deserved Jeff, I must get a copy, and learn from the Master.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1