Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Very kind, Andy. I may be able to do lunatic things like building viaducts and walls, but there are plenty of things I can't do!

It took over 10 minutes to get onto this page - RMweb server on a go-slow again. I'll try and upload a few pics as there haven't been any for a while.

Platform bases have been built. These are 4' long (120cm), 8cm wide (based on the core width at Settle) and extend almost to the underbridge, as at Armathwaite. Haven't got round to the ramps yet. The bases are 16mm high - they need another 2mm, which will be provided with an 80thou plastikard top, when I buy some.

In 4mm scale the platform top should be 12mm above the rail top (see diagram below, dimension E). My rails are about 2mm deep on a 4mm cork base, so 2 + 4 + 12 = 18. The attached diagram, acquired off the internet many years ago, may be helpful to some...

post-13778-0-18856500-1480792477 (1).jpg

The lip of the platform should be 18mm (dimension B) from the track centre. I'll incorporate a 3mm overhang using the 80thou, so my platform faces are around 21mm from the centre of the track. Useful guides, but the practical test with a loco comes later!

Some pics to show the state of things: another section of embankment added - needs more vegetation and bushes / cattle dock line + buffer / griming. I'll build the base for the cattle dock tomorrow.

The prototype for the cattle dock arrangement is based on Settle - pic of plan from Anderson and Fox attached.

20210806_123803 rs.jpg

20210809_224255 cr rs.jpg

20210809_224237 cr rs.jpg

20210809_231621 cr rs.jpg

20210809_224310 cr rs.jpg

20210809_224347 cr rs.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Adding a pic I missed out!!
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, I read your article in the online edition of BRM to which we Gold Members have access. This seems to have come out before the printed edition this month whereas we had to wait some time for last month's online edition to appear.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Jeff, I read your article in the online edition of BRM to which we Gold Members have access. This seems to have come out before the printed edition this month whereas we had to wait some time for last month's online edition to appear.

Yes, I did a Google and noticed that was the case. I'll get a paper copy at some stage, but glad it's now available. There may be a follow-up at some stage, whether scenic-related or the whole layout remains to be seen.

I fitted 2 rodding stools under the rod crossing from the 10 foot, btw. :)

A bit more ballasting today, I think.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I fitted 2 rodding stools under the rod crossing from the 10 foot, btw. :)

Jeff

It is too late to tell you that I cheated and put a PW walkway over most of the rodding that goes across the 6 foot. Luckily I don't have any 10 foot sections.

Edited by Rowsley17D
Confusing 4' with 6'!!
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I decided against any ballasting as the arrangement of the station area has been nagging at me since I started the platforms. So I dug out the part-built station building (that was underway when KL2 was scrapped) and used it, along with pics of Kirkby Stephen and Settle stations to work out my levels.

4 days ago I wasn't even thinking about platforms or the station area. Fitting the line to the cattle-dock started this and although I won't be doing any detailing at the moment, I have things organised. The road from station building to goods area ramps to the rear of the dock and I will put this in as I intend to put my granite setts down in the next day or two. Things will become clear(er), eventually!

20210810_184257 cr rs.jpg

20210810_184338 cr rs.jpg

I've also attached a couple of panoramas. Not the sharpest, as they were taken with my phone, but indicative of the current state of the Bunker.

20210810_193245_stitch cr rs.jpg

20210810_193458_stitch cr rs.jpg

20210810_193307 cr rs.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

The point rodding is very, very well done. Hats of to you sir 

You beat me to it Chris. Excellent work Jeff, that point rodding really makes a difference. The extra supports/stools make all the difference in the 10 foot.

Looking forward to seeing your article in BRM when my subscription copy arrives :wink_mini:  

Collected my laptop after it’s fault repair. It turned out to be a Windows 10 update issue. So now I can finally up date my thread, just need to resize the images first.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the panorama's Jeff, somebody I had it in my head you had more width than you actually do have ... layout wise I mean! But it looks stunning, will be lovely in time to listen to the sheep bleeting as you sit there watching the Jubilee go round....

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The Panoramic ones really do show how well it all fits in Jeff.

Cheers Andy.

It occurred to me, after I'd posted those pics, that much more space might well seem nice but I'm not sure I'd ever be able to finish the job. Layout building is a very fine line - if you take too much on, the mojo goes and then it's doomsday.

Maybe I could manage a slightly longer length, say 20' instead of 16' - which would allow me to get the whole station/goods area down one side rather than partly round the curve. But, as you certainly know, having a bit less space makes us quite inventive.

Btw, looked in on BR earlier - you were approaching page 6!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

The point rodding is very, very well done. Hats of to you sir 

Thanks Chris. I put off doing it for a long time on the previous layout and it IS a bit of a tedious job. However, I'd recommend even a token gesture on any layout. Once grimed up it looks the biz, and who is to know whether what you've fitted is correct or not?

Don't tell my point rodding guru - Old Gringo - but I think I've got a couple of compensators in the wrong place. I can always park a wagon in the line-of-sight if he ever visits! Point rodding is now 95% done - just one more section to fit.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Nice to see the panorama's Jeff, somebody I had it in my head you had more width than you actually do have ... layout wise I mean! But it looks stunning, will be lovely in time to listen to the sheep bleeting as you sit there watching the Jubilee go round....

Rich

Hi Rich.

The actual USABLE space on which the layout is laid - allowing for some of the protruding beams on the walls - is 16'9" x 9'6".

I had 17' x 17' on KL2, though only 12' of width was used due to storage behind the Fell. And, to be honest, I prefer GH as I can see ALL the track, rather than it disappearing behind that bl**dy great lump of scenery I built!

As is often the case, size DOES matter, but there are limits as you can only use so much of it at any given time....:angel::angel:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Good shout, Jeff, by building the platforms before ballasting. 

Haha, Peter. I've done it both ways in the past, but you're right. It's a lot easier to gauge platform positions without bits of granite chips falling round all over the place. And less disturbance to the "finished" product once ballasting IS done.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: Work is now underway on the granite sett road area linking the station and goods areas. The relevant plastikard and Wills sheets were delivered yesterday evening, so progress has been made.

Quite a bit of cutting, glueing, weathering etc, so it may be a few days before pics go up. If interested in the process, have a look between approx. pages 190-200 of the KL2 thread (I only know this as I looked back to see how I did it last time!)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

I tend to cheat when doing my Platforms, especially curved ones.

I make the outer Platform first, normally from 18mm MDF, as that is the right height for the Peco Platform edging. Next I lay the Track against it at the correct distance from it using the Track gauge and a long coach to check for overhang.

Once that is done I lay the next Track, and finally I can lay the inner Platform, as the curve is almost right as its come form the outer, but just needs a little trimming.

Your on KL's 1 and 2 looked superb, so I have no doubts this will be the same.

More pics of progress please.:D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm disappointed Jeff. After your success with the viaduct I was expecting you to lay every sett individually :)

edit. just spotted Ramrig's reply right above mine - I must start paying attention. 

Edited by jacko
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ramrig said:

We look forward to seeing the fruits of your labours  Jeff. 

Going by the rest of the layout I thought you would be laying individual DAS setts :jester:

38 minutes ago, jacko said:

I'm disappointed Jeff. After your success with the viaduct I was expecting you to lay every sett individually :)

edit. just spotted Ramrig's reply right above mine - I must start paying attention. 

I have to admit that the thought DIDN'T cross my mind.

Maybe I'm getting sensible in my old age? :no::no::no:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I tend to cheat when doing my Platforms, especially curved ones.

I make the outer Platform first, normally from 18mm MDF, as that is the right height for the Peco Platform edging. Next I lay the Track against it at the correct distance from it using the Track gauge and a long coach to check for overhang.

Once that is done I lay the next Track, and finally I can lay the inner Platform, as the curve is almost right as its come form the outer, but just needs a little trimming.

Your on KL's 1 and 2 looked superb, so I have no doubts this will be the same.

More pics of progress please.:D

Hi Andy.

It's interesting the different techniques we use to do the same job. It was easier this time because the curve was much less pronounced than on KL2. 

The station area was something I wasn't going to touch for a while. But the final section of rodding to the slip area was underway and I needed to ensure I could fit it all in, with platforms, so it got me started.

Good to see you underway on BR. I'll keep away for a while as it looks like you've got your hands full with the usual entourage! :):)

Edited by Physicsman
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, lambiedg said:

The latest edition of BRM arrived in my Readly inbox today.

Although I have followed the viaduct build here I felt that the (relatively) short summary really served to emphasise just the scale of the task.

D

Evening David.

The brief from Andy York was for around 1600 words and 15-20 photos. I supplied about 2400/25 and this was edited down.

The article looks better in the print copy than in the PDF file I was sent. My only regret about the way it's been presented is that - for obvious reasons of space - there isn't a photo of the viaduct in its "finished" scenic context.

I hope the concise article will prove helpful, and anyone sufficiently interested (insane enough) to build such a thing can always refer to this thread for further details.

Readers might like to hop over to Steve's Garsdale thread in the S&C section where, amongst other things, he's building a viaduct using my technique. Looks to be a variant of Moorcock Viaduct.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the way you've lessened the depth of the fixing mortar of your setts, Jeff. As new, a 4mm scale cyclist would loose a few teeth riding over them, not to mention damaging certain parts of their anatomy. If you need more setts send me a PM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1