Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Hope your doing well - just to say well done on the article in BRM, saw it on the digital copy.  It is somewhat too thought provoking so you may be in trouble with the powers that be here!  Nice work tho - as is your goods yard cobbles. Its been a manic few weeks at Marsh Lane Towers, so I am just catching up on a few things.  Quite remarkable the effect you've got from the plasticard setts.  I also like the detail of the drainage gully down the middle of the two sheets.

Rich 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I ventured into the "Dark Side" of Amp Sher yesterday afternoon. Fortunately no sign of Andy at Eastleigh...

P1220633 (2).JPG

Maybe you should have checked the cafe?

• Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

I never ceased to be amazed that this is one person’s work, and that for what you have already achieved, has been achieved so quickly!

For a guest appearance, I’d say the goods shed is welcome to stay until it’s big buddy moves in! Fits the scene well. I presume it is from KL2? The cobbled roadway looks good, I assume the hole is for an office or yard building? Nice to have an update :)

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work as always Jeff, taking your time and checking each stage of your work means you only have to do things once (hopefully). Hadrian’s wall wasn’t built in a day, but then you weren’t on that project :jester:

Really appreciate the updates Jeff. :good_mini:

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, MarshLane said:

The cobbled roadway looks good, I assume the hole is for an office or yard building? 

Rich

I'd say it's most likely for the signal box as all the point rodding ends up there. Unusual position though. looking through the 'Stations and structures of the settle and carlisle railway' book I can only find one station with the box near the goods shed and that's settle itself. Still, it's Jeffs railway and rule one applies :)  If he's operating from a well it means he gets to look through the cabin windows instead of just seeing the back of it. 

As far as posting frequency goes, I've been away for a couple of weeks in the midlands and the Lakes. Drove over the Lune a couple of times on the M6 though :)

Graeme 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jacko said:

I'd say it's most likely for the signal box as all the point rodding ends up there. Unusual position though. looking through the 'Stations and structures of the settle and carlisle railway' book I can only find one station with the box near the goods shed and that's settle itself. Still, it's Jeffs railway and rule one applies :)  If he's operating from a well it means he gets to look through the cabin windows instead of just seeing the back of it. 

As far as posting frequency goes, I've been away for a couple of weeks in the midlands and the Lakes. Drove over the Lune a couple of times on the M6 though :)

Graeme 

Hi Graeme,

You are absolutely correct, it is the site for the signal box.

However, IIRC, the track layout and box position is based upon Kirkby Stephen and on the prototype, it allowed the 'box-bobby' to view the complete track layout, including exit and entry points to the up and down loops.

See figure 40 and plates 114, 115 and 116 in 'Stations & Structures of the Settle & Carlisle Railway, by Anderson and Fox, OPC, 1986 to see the positioning, which I used as the basis for the original (KL2) rodding diagram, now adapted to GH.

IMO, we're all very lucky to be able to watch Jeff's representation of the railway in the landscape growing step by step on RMweb.  Few lines are as inspirational as that the Midland Railway route over the Pennines to Carlisle and having followed the topics from KL2 to GH, I'm amazed by Jeff's remarkable progress with this layout.

All the very best,

John

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks John. 

I'd missed Kirkby Stephen when I was flicking through the book earlier. A bit remiss of me considering the name of Jeff's layout. 

You're absolutely right about how lucky we are to be able to watch Jeff's progress and techniques. I hope to be able to adapt some of them to my own model of Lazonby when I eventually get further than making up baseboards.

Graeme

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, good to get the latest round of progress. The different shades of the ballast look the part. There're a few distant tantalising views of a ghost station building in some photos and without looking through KL1 I cannot remember whether it's from there or a new build?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, jacko said:

Graeme 

Course, I hadn't thought about the point work ending up there - Jeff .. deduct me 10 points for not seeing the obvious!

• RMweb Premium

A week since the last post and I've been enjoying myself doing something slightly different, which may be of interest.

The goods yard is now pretty well weathered and I'll maybe get on with the signal box or goods shed next. However, it'd be nice to run something round the track for an hour or so, and while this has been possible for several months there's been no control panel to make this easy. Triggering Cobalt point motors on an individual basis, via wires hanging down under the baseboards is a pain in the ar5e!

So, a simple control panel, along the lines of those used on KL and KL2, though I decided this time - as I have only 13 turnouts to throw, to "shrink" the panel down to the size of a piece of plastikard - about 33cm x 25cm.

The pics show the DPDT on-on switches in the "mimic". Terminals 1 and 8 on the Cobalts (I'm still using 8 terminal motors, not the 9 in the current "Classic" range) were connected to terminal block on the fascia, via long wire runs - 10 of the 13 connections sorted to date.

Terminal blocks on both fascia and panel are linked via male and female cables - very easy to join and undo, when needed. When the panel is complete it will be angled and attached in front of the goods yard.

Pics:

470288597_120210911_150708rs.jpg.0388b2bad4ba506ade56530bd5aba16c.jpg

2 20210913_200844 rs.jpg

3 20210913_200550 cr rs.jpg

4 20210913_200608 cr rs.jpg

5 20210913_201310 cr rs.jpg

6 20210913_201422 cr.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Lovely Jeff. I do enjoy seeing a well thought out and tidy control panel!

BTW did you know about these.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/428792/dcc_concepts_dcc_strip_12_way_pluggable_terminal_strip_pack_of_two_pairs/stockdetail.aspx

I use them to connect baseboards and didn't think to employ them for mounting control panels. Come to think of it they wouldn't have worked as some of my panels have too many switches etc. 

Goods yard is taking shape nicely.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Call me picky but I am trying to work out the logic of the lights on your control panel (which is effective and should do the job well btw!).  I was thinking red was for the main route (ie points normal) and green was diverging (ie points reversed) but that doesn't alway work out.  Can I ask what your line of thinking is?  Presumably you'll retro fit the switches for signals at a later date?

Rich

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Jeff,

Call me picky but I am trying to work out the logic of the lights on your control panel (which is effective and should do the job well btw!).  I was thinking red was for the main route (ie points normal) and green was diverging (ie points reversed) but that doesn't alway work out.  Can I ask what your line of thinking is?  Presumably you'll retro fit the switches for signals at a later date?

Rich

Hi Rich.

Fortuitously saw your post as I was checking a detail on another S&C thread. Fortuitous as it's unlikely I'll look in on here for at least another week, and you know my reasoning.

You're not being picky, but you are looking too deeply at the situation - from the prototype point of view. My logic is simple and practical - green tells me the switch is up, red tells me it's down. No reference to signalling, simply a convention I've always used to tell me which way I've set the turnouts.

Hope that "explains" things? As for signals, aside from knowing I'll need to buy 3 Home signals, or build them, I've thought no further. I like to keep things as simple as possible because, when it comes down to it, I'm a numpty as far as the railways go. So long as I can make the surroundings look good, I'll settle for scraping along with the workings of the real thing!

Thanks for the input, as usual.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That's a nice neat Panel Jeff, will you be having a programming Track on there or is that separate from the main Layout?

Morning Andy, Jonathan.

A couple of questions and here's some "answers"...

Andy, I've always kept my programming track completely separate from the layout. It usually sits on its own little bit of ply board which I connect to the track bus and controller when needed. Not the cleverest of ways to do it, I admit. I think it's a reflection of how little loco running I do. If I ran stuff the way you do then I'd probably come up with something a bit "slicker"! :)

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

I take it the panel lights are a belt and braces approach so there's no doubt which way the points are set? 

Yep, belt and braces indeed. KL2 and GH have the same turnout arrangement in the station area (KL2 had another dozen turnouts in the fiddle yard), so I can glance at the lights and instinctively know which route is set without looking at the switch.

I also think a few LEDs add a "decorative" touch to what is otherwise a plain looking board.

Glad I looked in this morning as I've realised I need to add the layby headshunt line onto the front of the panel!

Btw, did you have any suggestions re. goods shed windows, as in the emails we exchanged? :)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1