Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Rich.

Fortuitously saw your post as I was checking a detail on another S&C thread. Fortuitous as it's unlikely I'll look in on here for at least another week, and you know my reasoning.

You're not being picky, but you are looking too deeply at the situation - from the prototype point of view. My logic is simple and practical - green tells me the switch is up, red tells me it's down. No reference to signalling, simply a convention I've always used to tell me which way I've set the turnouts.

Hope that "explains" things? As for signals, aside from knowing I'll need to buy 3 Home signals, or build them, I've thought no further. I like to keep things as simple as possible because, when it comes down to it, I'm a numpty as far as the railways go. So long as I can make the surroundings look good, I'll settle for scraping along with the workings of the real thing!

Thanks for the input, as usual.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Ah, you see I have a habit of over thinking things! Fair enough, I am a big believer in keep it simple - whatever you find works for you is the key thing.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

I've spent the last hour or so running a loco through combinations of turnouts, and all seems ok.

It did take me almost as long to clean the track before doing so. I cleaned the main lines about a week ago, but all the weathering "crud" in the goods area provided a good degree of electrical insulation, though a track rubber soon shifted it.

Some pics showing the control panel in position. I adapted wood from a couple of old (KL2) L-girders to provide the side supports. It may have been built differently if I'd had other lengths of wood, but it's functional and there's space to stand things (coffee cup?!) at either side of the panel.

Jeff

20210915_130058.jpg

20210915_130137.jpg

20210915_130108.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Obviously you’re less clumsy than me!

I couldn’t risk a coffee cup anywhere near a control panel.

D

I’d be more worried about catching myself on those corners. 

Edited by Dragonboy
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, John Besley said:

Looks like enough room to drill a hole for a mug holder on the sides

6 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

I think here Jeff has under spec'd the side support timbers. Those are not quite big enough to support a Tetleys "Bittermen" double handed Quart mug with comfort.

Colin

I was genuinely concerned I'd under-engineered the structure. I mean, c'mon, it has to support all the weight of that plastic....

It was the only conveniently available wood I had available. And yes, if I'm ever in need of a good sleep it can serve its purpose of knocking me out if I bash into it! :P

Nice to see the comments, lads. If you carry on like this I may have to resume posting more often! :sarcastic:

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

As a follow-up, being "greatly offended" (ha, ha - pull the other one!) by the implication that my new structure was a tad, erm....over engineered..., hmmmph.... I thought I'd provide graphic evidence for the practical uses of the said edifice.

(Zorri, iff mi lingo abuv woz er bitt two plane for sum ov yer...)

My "side-arms" can provide:

A permanent home for my vintage, tried and trusty Lenz controller....

1 20210916_190550 crop.jpg

A stand for the applicator, waiting for a "heavy session" of static grassing.....

2 20210916_190419 crop.jpg

My mug of coffee - but I'm NOT letting David (lambie) near it!!....

3 20210916_190457 crop.jpg

Or a place to store the hammer, ready to knock in some of those 10 inch nails that Bodgit (AndyP) is renowned for using....when he's psyched-up for some of his more delicate work...

4 20210916_190523 crop.jpg

So you can see, there was method in the madness, and now it's back to the railway. Painting platforms. Oh, well!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6
  • Funny 6

28 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

As a follow-up, being "greatly offended" (ha, ha - pull the other one!) by the implication that my new structure was a tad, erm....over engineered..., hmmmph.... I thought I'd provide graphic evidence for the practical uses of the said edifice.

A stand for the applicator, waiting for a "heavy session" of static grassing.....

Or a place to store the hammer, ready to knock in some of those 10 inch nails that Bodgit (AndyP) is renowned for using....when he's psyched-up for some of his more delicate work...

So you can see, there was method in the madness, and now it's back to the railway. Painting platforms. Oh, well!

Jeff

Points of note=

1, Lenz Controller far to heavy for that timber.

2, Static applicator says Noch me off.

3, If your right handed the cup should be on the right.

4, Call that a bloody hammer, I've seen better than that in a Toffee shop.:o:D:dancer:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Jeff

Love it, you could also balance a Sinclair ZX Spectrum on there as well...:D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Love it, you could also balance a Sinclair ZX Spectrum on there as well...:D

Hi John.

Not sure if you were implying that my 2008 Lenz system is as antiquated as the good old Spectrum :o        :D:P,

but no offence taken....I planned to change it in 2017, but it's "bulletproof" and does all I need it to do. Except for the limit on the number of Function keys. Funny isn't it, but control systems are so (relatively) cheap these days, and I've no longer any desire (currently) to buy something new.

Besides, I do like a bit of steampunk in the railway room!

And is it just a coincidence that Clive Sinclair died today?

Never had a Spectrum, but used to play on my mates Commodore and then his Apple (64?) The good old days of 1980-81, writing stuff in Basic and having a good old Peek and Poke! :angel:

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

Jeff. 

that timber for your control panel. Its not left overs from this construction?  You weren't on this project  were you? :lol_mini:

1776850818_download(1).jpg.e2723571659944a620f2092c82555050.jpg

No, Steve  I wasn't involved with that project.

I was approached to take the contract but had to turn them down as I don't involve myself with small builds.

There just wasn't enough wood in the construction.

Problem was, I missed out on a free entrance ticket.....it bl**dy well rained for 40 days after they sailed off!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Brian D said:

Me thinks you've got a thick thumb Jeff, as in Rule of Thumb. 

So NOW it's being suggested I have a big THUMB!!? :lol:

Is no part of my body or demeanour sacrosanct? :angry:

I may only be 5 foot 6 (tall, that is, not around the middle) but I think I iz billt in pruporshun!

Just had a thought, isn't this supposed to be a model railway thread? Maybe not. But it's enjoyable. And I have to say, having had a sneaky peek (but no poking) at a couple of the 1 million + views Layout threads, that most of their hundreds of pages are filled with banter. But please - NO curtains or toilets (you know who you are!)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 17/09/2021 at 16:24, Ramrig said:

Jeff. 

that timber for your control panel. Its not left overs from this construction?  You weren't on this project  were you? :lol_mini:

1776850818_download(1).jpg.e2723571659944a620f2092c82555050.jpg

At today’s timber prices I wonder what it would cost to build that ark today :scared:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2021 at 23:17, Physicsman said:

Hi John.

Not sure if you were implying that my 2008 Lenz system is as antiquated as the good old Spectrum :o        :D:P,

but no offence taken....I planned to change it in 2017, but it's "bulletproof" and does all I need it to do. Except for the limit on the number of Function keys. Funny isn't it, but control systems are so (relatively) cheap these days, and I've no longer any desire (currently) to buy something new.

Besides, I do like a bit of steampunk in the railway room!

And is it just a coincidence that Clive Sinclair died today?

Never had a Spectrum, but used to play on my mates Commodore and then his Apple (64?) The good old days of 1980-81, writing stuff in Basic and having a good old Peek and Poke! :angel:

Jeff

Oh stop it Jeff,  your making me feel old!  I learnt to programme computers on a Spectrum ZX .. still got it and it works!!  Then moved onto a Commodore 64 with its 5.25" discs and then an Amiga 500 ( I think )  ... first one that took 3.5" floppy discs (that weren't floppy!) ... god that was all when I was at school - nearly 30 years ago. :cry:

Always looked at the Lenz system before I went Digitrax .. admittedly the controller looks like it has more buttons than the mission controllers at Cape Canaveral but its really easy to control two locos at the same time.  Whats the function button limitation with the Lenz system?

Rich 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich.

Apologies for the delayed reply but I tend to only look in here every 1-2 days at the moment.

I wish it was ONLY 30 years since I left school....

As for the Lenz, the set 100 I've used since 2008 only allows up to F14 or 16 - can't recall, as I run locos so little. However, that limitation is likely to change in the near future. Details when relevant! :D

Jeff

• Friendly/supportive 3

25 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Rich.

Apologies for the delayed reply but I tend to only look in here every 1-2 days at the moment.

I wish it was ONLY 30 years since I left school....

As for the Lenz, the set 100 I've used since 2008 only allows up to F14 or 16 - can't recall, as I run locos so little. However, that limitation is likely to change in the near future. Details when relevant! :D

Jeff

Most of the new Sound Chips now, Zimo for certain, use Functions 27 and 28 to turn the volume up and down, plus I think 19 is like a fader for Tunnels / Fiddle Yards etc.

You need to join the 21st Century young Jeff.:notme:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Most of the new Sound Chips now, Zimo for certain, use Functions 27 and 28 to turn the volume up and down, plus I think 19 is like a fader for Tunnels / Fiddle Yards etc.

You need to join the 21st Century young Jeff.:notme:

Oh, I will be.....at last! :boast:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...