Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Love the goods shed, Jeff. My current one is an adapted Scalescenes one which has faded badly before I put UV blocking covering on the railway room windows. Looking at yours mine is far too small for the location so a replacement is needed. One for the long winter nights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Love the goods shed, Jeff. My current one is an adapted Scalescenes one which has faded badly before I put UV blocking covering on the railway room windows. Looking at yours mine is far too small for the location so a replacement is needed. One for the long winter nights.

Cheers, Jonathan.

Busy in the Bunker, hope I might get some updated pics on here later.

J.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2021 at 13:11, Reorte said:

This is all making me feel I should get back to doing something...

Yes, Simon, get into the model room and get cracking!!

22 hours ago, lambiedg said:

The shed continues to blossom.

The robustness of your construction makes my foam board/mounting board buildings look flimsy.

D

David, if it looks the part, does the job and isn't going to collapse imminently, don't worry.

I ALWAYS over-engineer everything and love working with wood and plastic. Mounting board works well, so why change?

Jeff.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Nice bit of slating there, Jeff. I'm sure we're interested in how you did it.

4 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Very nice Jeff. The roof will look superb when painted and weathered. Is the building heavy to lift or quiet lightweight?

Rich

Details of the slating given in the post, below.

Rich, the shed is fairly light - comfortable to hold at arms length for an extended period. No balance in the bunker, but I'd say it'd be 300-400 grams maximum.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

For those who prefer some detail of what's been built, rather than a batch of "pretty pictures", I've given some specifics below, along with some more pics.

Roof "slating":

I don't know where the slating technique originates from. I've used the method described since about 2012 - thanks to Jason Thomas on his magnificent Bacup layout (if you haven't seen it, do a search in the Layouts section - I'm assuming it's still there).

My roof tiles were set at 1'6" x 1'6", hence 6mm x 6mm at 4mm scale. Heavy duty paper (150gsm) was ruled into a grid and sections sliced off using a scalpel, glued onto the roof structure - with overlap - using PVA glue. The roof base is 2mm ply.

Once both sections of roof were tiled, they were fixed to the shed skeleton using evostik instant adhesive. The gap along the top was then covered in "ridge tiles". I made these from 20thou plastikard - I think each tile is 14mm long, scored with a steel ruler and sat across the roof join, fixed in place with superglue. I deliberately went out of my way to keep the ridge neat, but not precisely aligned as the real thing is never perfect.

192061244_120211009_135542crop.jpg.eabc1d6af7c71108fbd843599c339ed3.jpg

2 20211009_135552 crop.jpg

3 20211009_152516 crop.jpg

Loading dock:

The internal loading dock has been fixed in place. As shown in an earlier post, there are 3 doors to fit into the gaps. The left and right doors aren't full length, the base of them sits on the "stools" shown in the photo, below. These are made from 4mm plastruct rodding, cut to 7mm length. They will need rubbing down and painting.

2025468233_420211010_150141crop.jpg.fba298047a072ed3ecb77b15a04dabd3.jpg

End of roof details:

The photo shows a view of the goods shed at Kirkby Stephen, now used by a haulage company. Various roof struts and an office chimney need adding in.

The roof struts were added using 2mm plastruct rod. The basis of the chimney has been built, from a core of 4mm wide plastikard  to which some Wills stone is being added.

649104029_5266410_2018-05-20_RJAT_GS_Elevation-N-03.jpg.54d1da83eb9e64f52b9af06cb3b617d9.jpg

6 20211010_150214 crop.jpg

7 20211010_162958 crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12

• RMweb Gold

Very effective, Jeff and certainly much cheaper than self-adhesive ones. Might be being a bit thick here but how do you get the slight gap between each slate? I assume each one has not been individually laid but knowing you, they might have been?!

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Very effective, Jeff and certainly much cheaper than self-adhesive ones. Might be being a bit thick here but how do you get the slight gap between each slate? I assume each one has not been individually laid but knowing you, they might have been?!

If I've read this correctly, the "gap" is an optical illusion created by the pencil lines - I assume you are referring to gaps in the horizontal direction?

Vertically, the strips of paper (I cut them 2 layers deep) are offset by eye.

If the method is of interest to anyone, and it needs further explanation, please let me know and I'll take some pics as a step-by-step.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Jeff. It was the verticals I was on about. I think a step by step would be helpful though, if you have the time. The site is very slow at times, take ages to load a new page quite often and sometimes times out. So it's not you.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a set of pics which I hope will show the general method.

A grid is drawn to represent the tiles - in this case my tiles are 6mm x 6mm (18" in real size). I've done this example fairly quickly for illustrative purposes, so some of my lines and alignments may not be as careful as usual!

276353066_20211011_125554crrs.jpg.0f17e32f732081474e352b5266130603.jpg

The grid is cut into sections....

20211011_125731 cr rs.jpg

The first section is glued to the roof. I use neat PVA, but have used Pritt stick in the past.

156635574_20211011_130140crrs.jpg.7f3a076fe7021af8c296e0dc9052ea54.jpg

A second section is glued on top of the first with the desired tile overlap. In this case, the top tile overlaps the one below by about 1mm (3"). The top strip is shifted relative to the first to give a nice tiling pattern.

20211011_130228 cr rs.jpg

2103641990_20211011_130241cr.jpg.9e7ddea18c8409e1f641d78fb9b41c99.jpg

A third strip then goes on, same tile overlap and with the strip aligned horizontally with the first to ensure a nice vertical appearance. And so on.....

20211011_130432 cr rs.jpg

20211011_130440 cr.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Jeff. A supplementary question if I may.  When you draw the vertical lines are you pressing hard enough to 'score' the paper so that you still have a line when the tiles are painted or is your tile wash/paint thin enough to leave the lines visible?

Graeme

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, jacko said:

Jeff. A supplementary question if I may.  When you draw the vertical lines are you pressing hard enough to 'score' the paper so that you still have a line when the tiles are painted or is your tile wash/paint thin enough to leave the lines visible?

Graeme

Good question.

I don't score the paper, but the acrylics washes - onto the paper tiles - are sufficiently thin so the pattern isn't obscured.

Here's a couple of pics from page 178 of the KL2 thread showing how it looks.

511845634_post-13778-0-31303600-1501099266(2).jpg.5467f3451d6d74e020b4c01b57546bc9.jpg

I DO try to make the pencil lines clear and dark before painting, though.

post-13778-0-80513700-1501099389.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, 92220 said:

Evening Jeff,

Have quietly enjoyed everything that you have done here - thanks for sharing.  
Best wishes,

Iain

Hi Iain.

Good to hear from you - we used to exchange quite a few posts back in the mists of time that was Kirkby Luneside (2013ish!!)

Thanks for taking an interest in what's going on here!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Top work as always Jeff :good: . Is the shed as dark as the second photo or is that a trick of the light? Are you planning on fitting out the interior, suitable goods, parcels, packing crates etc?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Spectacular!

Thanks Chris, I appreciate your positivity!

3 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Top work as always Jeff :good: . Is the shed as dark as the second photo or is that a trick of the light? Are you planning on fitting out the interior, suitable goods, parcels, packing crates etc?

Hi Steve.

I presume the "dark" comment refers to the interior? It is pretty dark in there, so when it's finally been positioned I'll probably run a small LED into the shed to brighten things up a bit. I've plenty of crates - somewhere in storage - that can be stacked in there. If I can find them!

Jeff

Edit: If you were referring to the exterior "darkness", the shed appears like the first pic when viewed with the eye. A grey colour with some of the yellow of the Wills sheet still showing through.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok, it's always a good idea to "come clean" when something doesn't quite work out, as it helps someone who may be following the same procedure.

A few posts back, Graeme asked if the tiles were still distinguishable after the paper on the roof was painted. To which I answered "yes", which was my experience with the DAS shed that's frequently seen in the background on here. However, after 4 grey washes of dilute acrylic, one side of the present shed roof still has tiles clearly visible, the other doesn't. You can easily see the rows of tiles, but the pencil lines on this side, for some reason, have been partially covered.

I've had the ruler and pencil out and re-marked about 80% of the tiles on that side. There'll be a couple more washes tomorrow and, hopefully, the pencil lines will remain visible!

You can see this on the pics in my earlier post, tonight. The 2nd pic - the one on the loading side - clearly shows tiling. The "7 windows" side still has clear rows, but the individual tiles aren't very obvious (4th/5th pics).

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Spectacular!

Agree - cannot add any more!!

23 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

I presume the "dark" comment refers to the interior? It is pretty dark in there, so when it's finally been positioned I'll probably run a small LED into the shed to brighten things up a bit. I've plenty of crates - somewhere in storage - that can be stacked in there. If I can find them!

That, along with a few figures, will really bring the scene to life Jeff.  Superb as ever.